Ammunition

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Was just in my local Academy sports . Only ammo they had was 17 HMR and. 22 CBs . Looks like the hoarding nonsense has started again.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you’re trying to buy it right now you’re too late. Better off waiting for things to cool down again.

OP
C

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Oh I have enough . Haven't shopped for ammo in awhile. I thought people might have learned a little the last time this happened. Forgive me I'm stupid .

WCB

WKR
It's not the hoarding.......it's the supply. Covid shut down the country for months including the ammo manufacturers. Only the "essential" businesses were allowed be open by the kings and queens in each state.......you know places like liquor stores and pot shops.

not even close...ammunition manufacturers were deemed from the start..essential. Maybe some very small ones were shut down but the larger companies that make up 90% of the supply did not. Demand jumped for many popular loads 100s of times from the production rate of the last few years in a matter of a couple weeks and that has kept going.

So whether you say it was the supply or unprecedented demand you are right. To say manufacturers were shutdown or the other dumb stuff people are saying like, supplies and raw materials are scarce you are wrong.

WCB

WKR
The supply dried up long before there was a huge demand for it this year.
That does not mean the manufacturers shut down. Supply dried up when demand outgrew it...that is kind of how it works. It is not like the demand was flatline and manufacturers stopped making ammo. Again yes supply can not meet demand but demand is absolutely through he roof and keeps growing and no major manufacturers were shutdown...might want to check where you get your information.

Our Academy hasn’t had anything for a while. Either they don’t get it regularly or they sell it quick. Not sure exactly what is going on with them. Bass Pro here has plenty, if you go early. So do most of the Walmart’s, if they carry what you need. Plenty of shotgun, .22 and other big game ammo.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
lots and lots of people who never owned guns before are now buying guns because of the riots, etc. (not the only reason, just a factor into the equation as well)

CorbLand

WKR
9mm and 556 go first. Once, those are scarce .22 is next. Once people cant find 9/556/22 they turn to powder and primers. When you see the run on 9 and 556, run this backwards and you will be ahead of the game.

Opah

WKR
It is not hording, its preparing, 50, 100 or 500 rounds will not be enough when the shit hits the fans.
I have my bug out trailer all set up, hope its not needed but I was an eagle shoot and will be prepared.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I picked up a Glock 10mm at the very onset of the Covid shutdowns, and glad I did. I did however hesitate on getting into reloading, and now it seems that is an impossible task, as there are no primers anywhere... Luckily, I have a decent ammount of ammo, but man, if you shoot anything other than 6.5 CM, grabbing a box of factory ammo is not gonna happen.

Rich M

WKR
Everything is scarce. I think they grabbed a box of ammo for every roll of TP.

Most places have been sold out since March. They do get shipments and you need to be on top of those if you want more.

Gotta look daily and buy right away if you "need" anything. Mostly what's available is the oddball sizes.

Don't forget that it costs more now too. Stuff you could get for $300 6 months ago is now $500 or more. How bad do you want it?

11boo

WKR
I learned after sandy hook. Once there is another glut of ammo/components, buy till it hurts. Reloading components are the best bang for the buck, but loaded ammo was so cheap prior to the wubonic plague I laid in a bunch of that too.