An easy method to get the perfect Seek Tipi Pitch every time.

I always seemed to struggle to get a good pitch with my 8 man.

Using a bit of geometry and some cordage I came up with an easy and cheap way to pitch a perfect tipi every time.

I took the tipi specs and created a triangular piece of cordage with knots tied at each corner. I can’t recall the initial measurements I got doing the math, but it ended up being 93” by 93” by 59” after some trial and error.

The longer measurement being from the center of the tent to a main stakeout point, and the shorter measurement the distance between two main stakeout points.

I set one stake where I want the center of the tent to be, then set one of the main door stakes. Then I use the cordage to set the stakes on either side of the door.22024703-9AFC-4D67-87F4-D9D4A907121E.jpeg

I keep using the cordage to set all five stakes on one side of the tent.

I then set the other main door stake, and work my way setting all the stakes on the opposite side.

Once that is complete, I lay out the tent and attach the stakes to the tent as so.
06DCC3A5-1A79-4605-8E9C-8F88BA859F07.jpeg

From there I just open a door and insert my center pole. I can then attach the intermediate stakes if need be.

Super easy, lightweight, and a perfect pitch every time.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Great solution for this issue. Thanks for sharing. -Rufus

OP
B
How does this work with uneven/lumpy ground?
To be honest I haven’t tried it on anything but a relatively flat surface yet, but the 550 cord has some give to it.

I could imagine it would still work well but you might need to make some minor adjustments after the initial pitch.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
Very clever method! Thanks for sharing.

I took the tipi specs and created a triangular piece of cordage
The tipi specs usually include the full diameter with a tight pitch. But when pitching, they say not to stretch the full diameter and allow for some slack, so the pole will be able to fully extend. Did you work to get a good pitch on the tent first, and then measure and tie your cordage from that good pitch to get that shorter 59" side? Or used some geometry that I'm missing maybe?

11boo

WKR
I found a utube vid on this exact subject for my 8 man. I’ll try and find it, and it is my way now.

The condensed version is find your spot that will hold a 16’ tent, mark the center with a stake, rock, whatever. Use the center pole you have marked to extend 8’3”(I think), to drive 4 stakes at 12/3/6 and 9 o’clock. The 12 is where the front door goes. Hook the appropriate stake loops over the others, put the pole in and snug it up, drive the rest of the stakes.

Clay lays it out better than me.

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
I do something similar with my DIY tipi. Mine is a perfect octagon so I only need a center stake and one piece or cord. Drive center stake, stretch cord, drive stake in door loop. All the other stake locations come from pulling the cord and just pulling fabric tight from the previously driven stake.

Uneven ground will affect it some but it is still way better than any other method I have tried.

I also have a mega or super tarp that I made. I have cord with it to triangulate its layout. No guessing. Fast and efficient.

OP
B
Very clever method! Thanks for sharing.

The tipi specs usually include the full diameter with a tight pitch. But when pitching, they say not to stretch the full diameter and allow for some slack, so the pole will be able to fully extend. Did you work to get a good pitch on the tent first, and then measure and tie your cordage from that good pitch to get that shorter 59" side? Or used some geometry that I'm missing maybe?
I used some geometry based upon tipi specs, then had to make some minor adjustments through trial and error to account for both cordage stretch and the fact the tent itself has a bit of stretch. What I eventually settled on is what is posted in the OP.

Hey Buckeye, any way you could extrapolate your cordage size to a 12 man? Always looking to speed up the set up...

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here are the keys to a good pitch:

1. Get the right distance between the two doors. (Most important)
2. Get the right distance on the main seam stake loops (Less important)
3. Get the right distance on the mid-panel loops (Least important)

If you really think about it, the zipper stake loops have NO STRETCH in the fabric above them. They're unforgiving.

The main seam stake loops have some stretch in the fabric above them, but it's limited.

The mid panel loops have a lot of stretch in the fabric above them. These are forgiving.

So start with the doors. Get them right. Then fill in the main seams, then take up slack with the mid panels.

This will allow you to adjust for uneven ground.