an easy way to reduce some weight and volume of your backcountry food

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enter the Hyperlite REpack cozy. A 1.4 oz dcf insulated cozy that is meant to take a quart size freezer bag vs the prepackaged dehydrated/freezedried meal.

I weighed an empty Peak Refuel bag (they are nice bags sturdy bags) and they weigh right at 1 oz, if you have two suppers you're into weight savings, six, eight, ten and then it really starts adding up.

While the weight savings are nice, I find even more beneficial is the reduction in volume going to quart ziplocks vs the prepackaged foil packs. I'd estimate a reduction of ~ 25% in volume. With a multi-day trip that's pretty nice :)

AND it's an insulated cozy, so your suppers are going to stay warmer than just waiting it out in the foil packs!

HcaWdX7.jpg

fbhandler

WKR
Enter the Hyperlite REpack cozy. A 1.4 oz dcf insulated cozy that is meant to take a quart size freezer bag vs the prepackaged dehydrated/freezedried meal.

I weighed an empty Peak Refuel bag (they are nice bags sturdy bags) and they weigh right at 1 oz, if you have two suppers you're into weight savings, six, eight, ten and then it really starts adding up.

While the weight savings are nice, I find even more beneficial is the reduction in volume going to quart ziplocks vs the prepackaged foil packs. I'd estimate a reduction of ~ 25% in volume. With a multi-day trip that's pretty nice :)

AND it's an insulated cozy, so your suppers are going to stay warmer than just waiting it out in the foil packs!

HcaWdX7.jpg

Are you able to add “boiling” water to the ziplock bags without any problems ?

BDRam16

WKR
Lots of guys have done DIY versions of this for years with the Reflectix material. Definitely an improvement over the prepackaged bags.

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
I believe it’s all over thought, buy packaged or your own pretty easy. Price point is huge difference try some of both before going and make your choice. Dont try it before and may be a bad decision during your favorite time. The lack of enough tp may be the biggest problem

Clarktar

WKR
I been repurposing a down booty, or down hood to use as a cozy. Just found multi-purpose gear is the best way to shave ounces.

Repacking the meals is a must in my opinion when you are talking 8+ day trips. Food really becomes the elephant in the pack.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk