An I suck vent

Oh man!!! I'm so angry with myself. I have a tough season for finding bulls in my good spots, now it's extended archery which is much harder because the only place I know of that holds elk somewhat reliably is usually a 2+ hr hike, but they might still be in other drainages due to pressure and ya gotta find them on the day with enough time to get to them before dark or before they head to bed.

I'm on day 9, not consecutive but cumulative, and I finally get a stalk opportunity. I called an audible on where I sat this morning because I wasn't sure they'd be feeding in the spot I saw them 2 nights ago. So I was probably 1.5 miles away from that spot and sure enough they were there feeding. Had I been closer or right nearby, I'd have had a great chance. Wind was great.

So I head over really quickly to get there before they're back in the pines. I'm not sure where they bed from there in the morning, so I thought it best if I tried to get to them while they're out or get close enough I could see where they bed down. Had to be back by 11:30am unless I got one. So, rush rush rush.

On my way over I could see there was just 1 of 8-12 still at the top of the ridge, the others started down the other side. I drop in the ravine and start heading up the back side of where they were feeding. To e wind is good. I get nearly to the top and it swirls for 5 seconds blowing right toward them. I think we'll crap, I'm blown. I head up the last 20 yards anyway and peak over the top. Don't see them anywhere. I go a little further and stand up, like a newbie moron, look around and there they are just on the other side of the next ravine probably 150-200yds by line of sight just staring at me. I turn around and get in cover instead of staying still. And then they take off.

This is what rushing stalks will give you. Tag soup. I suck.

Thank for watching!

OP
H
Thank you. Not rushing it has been hard this year for me, for some reason. A couple of years ago I spent 1.5hr moving 10 yards to get a shot and it worked. I gotta keep that in mind next time

Whip

WKR
Sometimes you need patience, sometimes you need to really push it.
Every time I elk hunt I end up with a number of things I should have done differently. Once in a great while I make all the right calls but more often than not I blow it.

In the end we all suck when compared to wild creatures that live out there year round and their very lives depend on making the right decisions. To us it's an enjoyable pastime. To them it's life and death.

That is the very reason I stay away from high pressure areas. Even if I find elk I hate feeling rushed and blowing it because I went too fast. But in those places if you don’t move quick you lose. Nothing beats a slow calculated stalk where you can make sure the wind is right and just take your time. This year I glassed bulls at 799 yards. 2 1/2 hours later I was rewarded for my patience with a 92 yard shot.

Good thing I had that .300 RUM with the 6-24 power tactical scope right! :ROFLMAO:

OP
H
That is the very reason I stay away from high pressure areas. Even if I find elk I hate feeling rushed and blowing it because I went too fast. But in those places if you don’t move quick you lose. Nothing beats a slow calculated stalk where you can make sure the wind is right and just take your time. This year I glassed bulls at 799 yards. 2 1/2 hours later I was rewarded for my patience with a 92 yard shot.

Good thing I had that .300 RUM with the 6-24 power tactical scope right! :ROFLMAO:

Haha that's what makes ya a great hunter. 92 yards instead of 799 with a 300 RUM

Sled

WKR
it's a mental game that we all struggle with. hindsight is 20/20 and experience is often hard earned. keep at it and enjoy the little wins because they end up with big wins.

4rcgoat

WKR
Oh man!!! I'm so angry with myself. I have a tough season for finding bulls in my good spots, now it's extended archery which is much harder because the only place I know of that holds elk somewhat reliably is usually a 2+ hr hike, but they might still be in other drainages due to pressure and ya gotta find them on the day with enough time to get to them before dark or before they head to bed.

I'm on day 9, not consecutive but cumulative, and I finally get a stalk opportunity. I called an audible on where I sat this morning because I wasn't sure they'd be feeding in the spot I saw them 2 nights ago. So I was probably 1.5 miles away from that spot and sure enough they were there feeding. Had I been closer or right nearby, I'd have had a great chance. Wind was great.

So I head over really quickly to get there before they're back in the pines. I'm not sure where they bed from there in the morning, so I thought it best if I tried to get to them while they're out or get close enough I could see where they bed down. Had to be back by 11:30am unless I got one. So, rush rush rush.

On my way over I could see there was just 1 of 8-12 still at the top of the ridge, the others started down the other side. I drop in the ravine and start heading up the back side of where they were feeding. To e wind is good. I get nearly to the top and it swirls for 5 seconds blowing right toward them. I think we'll crap, I'm blown. I head up the last 20 yards anyway and peak over the top. Don't see them anywhere. I go a little further and stand up, like a newbie moron, look around and there they are just on the other side of the next ravine probably 150-200yds by line of sight just staring at me. I turn around and get in cover instead of staying still. And then they take off.

This is what rushing stalks will give you. Tag soup. I suck.

Thank for watching!
Just remember, if your lucky enough to be in the mountains ,your lucky enough.