An "upgrade" question - my Kimber Montana / Mountain Ascent

A question for those who have handled/used both rifles.

Last year I picked up a used Kimber Montana custom chambered in 280 Remington (not AI) with a 24 inch Lilja heavier contour barrel. It's been a very nice rig.

I have a chance to buy a basically new (40 rounds at the range) Mountain Ascent in 270. Asking price in Canadian dollars is $2800.

If I sold my 280 I'd probably be looking at an additional $700 - $1000 to make the move to the Mountain Ascent.

I know the primary benefits are slightly lighter weight, removable muzzle break, dipped camo stock, fluted barrel/bolt, etc.

Worth it to move up to the MA or stick with the "tried and true" Montana?

Last edited:

Krushrr

FNG
Not pertaining to the actual rifle, but I hunted ALOT, bout 20 years, with a .270 and its a great round. Worked very well on WI whitetails. I had an opportunity to buy a .280 in the same platform I had in the .270 and it was basically new and manufactured in the late 80's. I just really enjoy and have more faith in this .280 rem. I've taken 4 whitetails with it and was impressed. I know splitting hairs, but for me the confidence is in the 280. Otherwise I have absolutely no experience with the montana or mountain ascent.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Stick with the Montana. If you want something different on it, budget $700-1000 for work. For that money, you could get a new barrel. Or add a muzzle brake that is better than Kimbers.

With Kimber, you could also be traiding something that works well for something that needs tinkering and will eat up a bit of time and money.

That is my take at least.

wildcat33

WKR
In my opinion you are better off putting a new barrel on the gun you have if weight reduction and caliber change are what you are after. #1 lilja or the like will drop more weight than anything. Can add brake if you like. Bed the lug/action. Away you go.

MA is a lot of lipstick on a montana. Bullet, twist, and good feeding trump flutes and digital camo in my book.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just got one of the green mountain ascents and it’s a cool rifle but I think I’d have been just as happy with a Montana in the same caliber. I’m not saying the metalwork on the mountain ascent isn’t nice, it is. But I think it only saves a few ounces of weight really.

I’ve had several Montana’s but in standard cartridges, 308, 7/08, 30-06. The mountain ascent is a 300wm, it’s great but again, I’d probably be just as happy with a Montana in 300wm.

Wrench

WKR
There's 7 thousandths difference and the rest is all in the eyes of the beholder.

You can buy a ti knob. You can buy a new tube. You can love the one you have and you can have the tube contoured to save a little weight.....lots of options.

I’d keep it and have it fluted, maybe reamed out to an AI if you’re wanting a little more horsepower. Throw on a Ti knob and aluminum trigger guard if it doesn’t already have one.

Grumman

WKR
I prefer the Montana as I don’t care for the dipped stocks and I don’t like the fluted bolt on the MA. With the fluted bolt the MA action feels rough over a regular Montana. I put the TI bolt knobs on my Montanas and have no complaints with them.

Those Ti bolts can be found over in a long running classified ad on the 24HourCampfire. The seller does a great job on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Mountian ascent was made with a green stock that is just like the Montana stock, not that dipped stuff.

If you look around you may find one, my mountain ascent 300 win mag has the green stock and if you get a good deal on one you’ll pay less than you would for a Montana.

I have not found the bolt to be “rough”, it works fine, cycles well and ejects well. I worked up a good load with a 200g partition and I’m working on one with 166g hammers.

It’s a great gun, well worth what I paid for it.

Last edited:
A question for those who have handled/used both rifles.

Last year I picked up a used Kimber Montana custom chambered in 280 Remington (not AI) with a 24 inch Lilja heavier contour barrel. It's been a very nice rig.

I have a chance to buy a basically new (40 rounds at the range) Mountain Ascent in 270. Asking price in Canadian dollars is $2800.

If I sold my 280 I'd probably be looking at an additional $700 - $1000 to make the move to the Mountain Ascent.

I know the primary benefits are slightly lighter weight, removable muzzle break, dipped camo stock, fluted barrel/bolt, etc.

Worth it to move up to the MA or stick with the "tried and true" Montana?

Man, I could really go either way on this one. My initial thought is, that is way too much money for a Mountain Ascent (about $2325 USD, if my calculations are correct). But then I think, I have that exact same rifle and absolutely love everything about it, with the exception of the camo. I also have a Montana in .300 WSM, and a Adirondack in .308, and they are all very accurate and light weight rifles. If I was told I could only have one, it would probably be the Adirondack, but the Mountain Ascent would be a very close second choice. My only reasons for choosing the Adirondack is because, it’s my lightest rifle (short action), and it’s a 30 cal., but I still don’t like the camo pattern on the stock.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Man, I could really go either way on this one. My initial thought is, that is way too much money for a Mountain Ascent (about $2325 USD, if my calculations are correct). But then I think, I have that exact same rifle and absolutely love everything about it, with the exception of the camo. I also have a Montana in .300 WSM, and a Adirondack in .308, and they are all very accurate and light weight rifles. If I was told I could only have one, it would probably be the Adirondack, but the Mountain Ascent would be a very close second choice. My only reasons for choosing the Adirondack is because, it’s my lightest rifle (short action), and it’s a 30 cal., but I still don’t like the camo pattern on the stock.

Im at a point where there is only a few rifles I would but out my wallet for and a mountain ascent in 270 or 30-06 is probably one of them along with an adirondack in 7/08.