An X Zone Thread

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Asking for glass advice. My current setup is a pair of 6x30 & 12x42 binos plus a 17-40 compact spotter. Each is very high quality glass that suits my needs for SoCal. Anyone who’s hunted this zone, did you feel that you needed the higher magnification spotter? I’ve been considering renting or finding a used spotter for the hunt. I’m taking off work for a large majority of the hunt and want to make it as memorable as possible.

Given the size of the unit, and variety of habitat that I’ve seen deer in up there, I don’t want to get up there wishing I’d had more glass. So if you all think anything more than what I have is necessary then I’ll look for options.

And if anyone who has hunted this unit wants to PM any advice on the unit, I’m open to as much intel as possible. I am very excited but nervous about this unit all at the same time.

Hoghead

WKR
I have hunted X. That is the zone to the north. I spotted my buck about a mile and a half away. I would want a bigger spotter than you have. I think the 12x binoculars will be good for up close. There is a lot of different terrain sage brush high desert to dense trees. I think it would also depend on what you are comfortable hunting.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Azone

WKR
Get the glass and save the miles on your legs until it’s go time.

Edit: your thread will probably be locked, mods cracking down on unit specific titles.

OP
Clarson757

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have hunted X12. That is the zone to the north. I spotted my buck about a mile and a half away. I would want a bigger spotter than you have. I think the 12x binoculars will be good for up close. There is a lot of different terrain sage brush high desert to dense trees. I think it would also depend on what you are comfortable hunting.

I’m pretty capable, but I will be solo. I’m not even really concerned with finding a “giant”. I want to enjoy the opportunity but also give myself the best chance at not eating this tag and regretting not being the most prepared that I can be.

My family has a house in Crowley and that’s where I’ll be based out of. I’ve spent a lot of time around the Crowley and Glass Creek areas. I’m hesitant to get overly concerned with “going in deep” as time and time again I’ve found deer nearly hiding in plain sight. I’m sure that strategy will work just as well, however my expectations are not set on finding a monster. I’m comfortable with “respectable”.

OP
Clarson757

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Get the glass and save the miles on your legs until it’s go time.

Edit: your thread will probably be locked, mods cracking down on unit specific titles.

Appreciate that. I changed the title, hope that’s enough.

Hoghead

WKR
I know I saw legal bucks every day. A lot different than my regular zone. You can probably find a decent buck not far off of the main roads. My buddy had that tag the same year he said there was a kot of hikers that scare the deer. He ate te tag but he wanted 26" or bigger.

OP
Clarson757

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I know I saw legal bucks every day. A lot different than my regular zone. You can probably find a decent buck not far off of the main roads. My buddy had that tag the same year he said there was a kot of hikers that scare the deer. He ate te tag but he wanted 26" or bigger.

I’m hoping to at least start seeing some deer the first week or so of the season. I know the weather will probably be a factor but just finding deer in areas I can get to alone and pack out is going to be priority for me.

My plan was spend a week up there next month drive around and familiarize myself with the different areas of the unit that I haven’t been to before. Hopefully a second short trip in August. Then come season, I’ll probably get up there a week early and just get behind the glass in the areas I want to focus. One thing I don’t want to do is have too many spots on my list to checkout that I don’t actually pick apart each one. Limiting myself with some discipline and focus before moving on.

OP
Clarson757

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
You should already be up scouting with boots on the ground in the X zones.

I definitely should. Unfortunately, I live 7 hours away with a newborn. Timing isn’t ideal but I will be up there soon and getting into it.