anchor, peep, sight question

rsmattis

FNG
Having a few troubles. Trying to post a pic a see if I can get some specific suggestions...
New bow, Hoyt carbon turbo, but I had the same problem with my last bow, which was an Elite Hunter. 67-68lbs, 29" draw, axcel accutouch 5-pin sight, thumb release. 450gr arrows. Elk hunting, but enjoy shooting my bow on my own range.
So my problem...My peep is set by the method of drawing with my eyes closed, getting my anchor point set, and then adjusting my peep to that. Yes, my peep was set indoors at roughly 20 yards. My anchor point is the area between the 1st and 2nd knuckles at my jaw angle. But my sight, as with my last bow, is literally slammed to the bottom of the adjustment for the sight housing. You can probable see that on the pic. I admit, my 20 yard pin is on the high side of the housing, but that is to put my 40 somewhere in the middle, and allow me to try some longer range practice and maybe even a "competition" or 2. With my last bow, the 60 yard pin was as far down in the housing as the sight allowed. Pretty hard to practice longer range shots with that. My rest is about mid position, my bow is paper-tuned.
Anyway, thoughts on ways to adjust my form, peep, sight, etc to put my sight housing a little more mid-position?
As an aside, I am considering trying a MBG verdict assault 3-pin slider for the fun of it at some point, but I wanna get this issue taken care of first, as I assume a new sight will have same problem, and potentially worse if I can't drop the slider without hitting my arrow...
thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 137

OR Archer

WKR
First thing. LOAD AN ARROW!! Drywall is cheaper to fix than a bow.

You have a high anchor point which leads to a low peep height. Combined with the sight being extended out to the max is why you are running into the problem of being bottomed out on your sight. You would need to lower your anchor point to fix this issue. By doing so your peep height will raise up which in turn will allow you to bring the sight housing up as well as you'll impact high.

OP
R

rsmattis

FNG
What are your suggestions for changing an anchor point? Move down a knuckle? It's kind of what I figured would be the likely outcome, but because anchor point is the first thing to establish, I am not sure the easiest way to now go backwards and change the only set part of the system. Do you find the next comfortable hand/jaw anchor, practice it a few times, close the eyes and draw and re-establish a peep height, or now go truly backwards and set the sight midposition and find an anchor oint the fits the bill?
thanks

OR Archer

WKR
Being that it’s still hunting season for most people I wouldn’t change anything at this point until all hunting is complete.
After that I’d do a lot of blank bale shooting while experimenting with a lower anchor. Once you find a new anchor you may want to tie in a kisser to help keep you in the right spot until you get that muscle memory down. Once you get that established then you can move the peep up and resight your bow.

Bwana

WKR
First thing. LOAD AN ARROW!! Drywall is cheaper to fix than a bow.

You have a high anchor point which leads to a low peep height. Combined with the sight being extended out to the max is why you are running into the problem of being bottomed out on your sight. You would need to lower your anchor point to fix this issue. By doing so your peep height will raise up which in turn will allow you to bring the sight housing up as well as you'll impact high.

Agree,,,,your shoulders should be flat at full draw, your draw arm elbow is way too high. Lower your anchor, raise your peep, and consider a small kisser button to help with a solid anchor point.

dkime

WKR
If you're concerned with being able to shoot out to further distances, you should set your peep height based on comfort at 40yds. A lot of field guys and fita guys do this so that they are able to get out to further distances and not bottom out their sight adjustment. I'm not saying it will gain you much but basically stretch it out to 40 and slide your peep up and down at full draw their and then lock it in. You should gain a little bit here and there. I wouldn't go messing with your form as long as it works for you, we all have an idea of what good form is and looks like and I would say you're not terribly far off. This is a results based thing, DL is adjusted based on 2 things for me, my float pattern and my broadhead forgiveness. As long as I'm happy with scores and dead animals I don't change it.

jmez

WKR
What Bwana and OR said. Your draw elbow should be straight behind you, not pointing up, down, left or right. Your elbow is high, you also look like you could extend your bow arm more dropping that shoulder down, this will also help bring the draw elbow down.

My advice would be to find a coach in the off season and take some shooting lessons.

nexus

FNG
Some really good advice above. Do a google search on some of the well known archers (target and hunters) and look at their form - specifically their shoulders and draw elbow. As you can see in your photo, that back elbow and shoulder are pretty high due to the high anchor point. This places the arrow in a downward trajectory from your face to the rest...thus the extreme amount of compensation necessary in the site pins. A lower anchor point and adjusted peep will have that bow/arrow easily good to 100 yards.

OP
R

rsmattis

FNG
Thanks everyone for your replies. Amazing what a picture can make you learn. Already practicing lowering the back shoulder and just that has changed my peep substantially and should get me on the way to a usable site picture.

Part of the reason your elbow is high is because your hand is extremely inverted. It is so inverted that I can see where you’re causing your skin to wrinkle. Decrease that facial pressure and I’m betting your hand rotates to a more natural position that is slightly lower, which will lower your shoulder.

jmez

WKR
Because you asked............... You also need to work on your grip. Holding your fingers extended and open you are torquing the bow with that grip. Your hand needs to be relaxed.