Anchor points

I’m new to the recurve, shooting 3 under 60” recurve. I use the webbing in between my thumb and pointer finger and lock that in behind my jaw bone. Then I use the string blur and make sure it’s down the middle of my arrow and once my string touches my nose (like a compound) I know I have reached my anchor and I’m ready to complete the release. I have not heard or read about anyone using string to nose as and anchor for recurve? Does anything with this method for anchoring sound way off? Thanks.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so there’s really zero difference in compound and trad shooting. Should be the same grip, same back tension, stance, follow through, etc etc etc.
You also want the same sight picture each time. If you don’t touch your nose to the string you could move your head. If you were gapping or crawling your sight picture would not be the same resulting in inconsistency.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
To clarify, forget string blur. Touch your pointer finger in this case to your corner of your mouth. Yea the web will be under/behind jaw. The string should be on your nose tip. Look to your arrow tip to gauge left/right and gap distance. This will vary depending on different things.
You need to be shooting dominant eye for best results

Btaylor

WKR
That sounds like a repeatable anchor and that is really important. I tried air drawing to your anchor and it feels a little awkward to me but that means nothing. My anchor is a somewhat similar. I shoot 3 under and anchor with the middle finger at the corner of my mouth and with my thumb knuckle bent at a 90 tucked behind my jaw bone. That position seems to put the arrow under my eye the best for me. If your anchor is comfortable for you and repeatable, you should be fine I would think.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I actually use a middle finger anchor but split finger. The higher the better. Lessens the gap. Longer arrows do as well.

OP
S
I actually use a middle finger anchor but split finger. The higher the better. Lessens the gap. Longer arrows do as well.
Point on with 40# and 28” draw, 500gn arrow is like 33 which seems pretty far. I’m ok with that for now because I think for MN whitetail I’m going to stick to under 20 and use a fixed crawl.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised no one has mentioned finding your back tension. Proper back tension won't allow you to draw your bow any further. Then you find a bone to bone connection. That's your anchor. Corner of the mouth or any soft tissue anchor is a horrible anchor.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised no one has mentioned finding your back tension. Proper back tension won't allow you to draw your bow any further. Then you find a bone to bone connection. That's your anchor. Corner of the mouth or any soft tissue anchor is a horrible anchor.

Tater if I may, I understand where you’re coming from. Back tension is fully key imo but You can achieve back tension and still move your anchor slightly or have an inconsistent sight picture if you’re looking at things differently each time by ever so slightly moving head. Nose on string helps that.
You can also say achieve proper anchor and be too closed, You’d need to roll your shoulders back to get proper back tension, alignment, bone on bone shooting. You also need proper back tension for a proper release but these imo are different discussions.
One of the hardest things to teach or explain to new students is back tension. One step at a time though. String bows are great for showing or practicing that.
Clay Hayes, for anyone interested has an excellent video that explains back tension in relatively easy to understand ways.
Sorry to deviate but I had to throw that in. I should also add, Clay is a trad guy.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
You can also say achieve proper anchor and be too closed, You’d need to roll your shoulders back to get proper back tension, alignment, bone on bone shooting. You also need proper back tension for a proper release but these imo are different discussions.

This is a contradictory statement. With proper back tension you can't be to closed and you can't have a proper repeatable anchor without proper back tension.

They all work together. I understand its a lot to take in but where someone should anchor is so low on the priority list compared to back tension that it shouldn't even be discussed with someone new until back tension has been addressed. An anchor that allows you to move isn't an anchor. It's kinda the definition of the word.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
This is a contradictory statement. With proper back tension you can't be to closed and you can't have a proper repeatable anchor without proper back tension.

They all work together. I understand its a lot to take in but where someone should anchor is so low on the priority list compared to back tension that it shouldn't even be discussed with someone new until back tension has been addressed. An anchor that allows you to move isn't an anchor. It's kinda the definition of the word.
Did I say proper back tension or anchor? Think you misread. You can absolutely have anchoring correct in a sense and no back tension.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Did I say proper back tension or anchor? Think you misread. You can absolutely have anchoring correct in a sense and no back tension.
If you say so.

What's really telling is your use of weasel words. You know you aren't right, but admitting you're wrong is tough.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
If you say so.

What's really telling is your use of weasel words. You know you aren't right, but admitting you're wrong is tough.
I’m certified multiple formats. You can’t comprehend English obviously. That doesn’t matter. What matters is someone is asking a simple question. It’s good to give him varying opinions. However you seem to want to argue. I’d be glad to discuss anything you like in a pm, on the phone or start a new thread and we can debate it there.
Pretty classy the way you speak btw. Parents should be proud of you. Save the he man junk for someone in person. Doing so on here shows something

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m certified multiple formats. You can’t comprehend English obviously. That doesn’t matter. What matters is someone is asking a simple question. It’s good to give him varying opinions. However you seem to want to argue. I’d be glad to discuss anything you like in a pm, on the phone or start a new thread and we can debate it there.
Pretty classy the way you speak btw. Parents should be proud of you. Save the he man junk for someone in person. Doing so on here shows something
Weasel words isn't an insult. Its an actual term. It means that the language used allows for the denial of a specific claim.

If you truly think a repeatable anchor can be performed without proper back tension then say so in unequivocal terms.

And then I'd be all ears on how your certifications in multiple formats can reconcile the teaching of an anchoring system that allows for variation.

I find it hard to believe you're a coach as you imply when you are advocating for a soft tissue anchor.

Also how does one get the string on the tip of their nose if they are anchoring high on their face and also keep their head down? You have to raise your head turn it from your target in order to accomplish that.

You flip flop all over the place.

With proper back tension and a two point bone to bone connection your anchor can't change. It's impossible. Your draw length can't vary. And your sight picture remains the same. Period.

I can English just fine. Go back and read what you wrote.

I'm perfectly OK with keeping this in the open forum. That's what forums are for.

Feel free to explain yourself, or not. Like you said the guy asked a simple question and should get some varying opinions. Well, unless someone disagrees with you I suppose.

Ahutch

FNG
The term anchor point gets used wrongly alot. What most call an anchor point is nothing more than a reference point. Anchor comes directly from back tension, where you put your hand in relation to your face is just a reference.

Hutch

Hutch nailed it.

Your "anchor" should be using your musculature to get drawn and then letting the forces between the bowhands compress into the stacked bones. I conceptualize it as I'm anchoring my bow between my shoulder blades at full draw. I think this is one of the reasons lighter weight draw bows are pushed hard for starting out, as the feel when you properly anchor is very distinct and makes the rest of the shot process easier.

Everything else after that is a reference point to try to build a consistent process.

Ahutch

FNG
You can change your facial reference to change your sight picture, serves the same purpose of a fixed crawl.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
@Ahutch @CamoPirate

We may be splitting hairs here. But an anchor is an anchor. Its repeatable shot after shot. Its a point in which your musculature lines up in a repeatable fashion.

A reference point is something that's used in a judgement of something else. ie a flag on the field denoting a known distance.

While I understand this may be a minor point to some I think we should all strive for accuracy whether it is in our language or on the range.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
@Samdemarais I'm sorry for getting so off topic. I assume you are wanting to ultimately hunt with a traditional bow. It sounds like you are trying to develop your shot around the assumption that you will be able to draw on game while keeping your bow vertical.

That will rarely be the case. Most shots on game will be from less than perfect conditions, which I'm sure you're aware of. I would suggest ( and you can take my suggestion about as seriously as the amount you paid for it) that you learn proper back tension. (If you haven't already)

The best part about shooting a traditional bow is that you can be deadly accurate without all the gizmos and having to keep your bow perfectly level providing you can anchor to a repeatable position with your eye over the arrow.

I wish you the best and happy hunting