Anchor points

Ahutch

FNG
Taking the fact I am NOT an instructor, the statement I had made about anchor point I pretty quoted what arne moe had told me

Hutch

Felix40

WKR
Thanks everyone. This kinda arguing about the nuances is what makes forums distasteful. It’s just shooting bows guys. Anyways, I learned something so thanks.
I have pretty much stopped commenting on archery stuff because the same few internet pros turn it into an argument.

Your anchor sounds good to me. I think it’s better than the corner of the mouth anchor. I’ve never heard of anyone doing all three of those things but I doubt you are the only one.

Reactions: GLB

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Try painting a very small dab of finger nail polish right at the spot your eye is sighting on the string. Fluorescent works best in low light.

Wrench

WKR
I've tried to pull off the jaw reference point, but the string all but rips my lip off on release.

As with anything archery, you are looking for something that csn be repeated every time, as close to perfect as possible.

As mentioned back tension does take the last bit of variable out of that portion, and a solid bow arm completes the deal.....so now finding how to keep the hook, grip and anchor reference points repeatable is the million dollar question....followed in close second by, "how do i aim this stupid thing".

Btaylor

WKR
I've tried to pull off the jaw reference point, but the string all but rips my lip off on release.

As with anything archery, you are looking for something that csn be repeated every time, as close to perfect as possible.

As mentioned back tension does take the last bit of variable out of that portion, and a solid bow arm completes the deal.....so now finding how to keep the hook, grip and anchor reference points repeatable is the million dollar question....followed in close second by, "how do i aim this stupid thing".
Stop aiming and use the force, Luke, use the force.

bisblue

WKR
I shoot a fixed crawl for Western hunting with the nock touching my nose, thumb behind my jaw and inside of my top knuckle resting on my cheek bone.
Check out the push archery video on YouTube, he has a similar set up and runs through other idea as well.

If you can find the video clip on Youtube of Tom Clum explaining how to find your natural anchor point its very good and a simple process. That being said I have long arms and following Toms process my anchor would be the corner of my jaw. As said above finding something that works for you and is repeatable is key. I use the first joint of my thumb knuckle tucked behind my jaw, I draw and touch the string to my nose and have a kisser button that touches my lip, once all that is done pull and pull and pull some more...

FLS

WKR
This is why you don’t see the top bare bow/ traditional shooters posting much on forums. Jason Westbrook once said “ There is some good info out there, but you have to dig through a mountain of shit to find it.“ Watch Dewayn Martin shoot sometime. Static release. He says his form Is bad. Yet he’s the only Barebow shooter to beat the compounds in Vegas. I’ll wager he would embarrass most of the guys giving advice across multiple forums. There is no one right way. People are put together different.

Last edited:

Ahutch

FNG
There's a lot of folks that would embarrass me or be embarrassed by me, depending how ya look at it

Hutch

Reactions: FLS
Anchor points are different for everyone, so it’s hard to tell someone where they should be anchored without looking at them in person when they draw.

The only advice I have is to reach full expansion at proper alignment with the target, and appropriate spot to anchor should manifest itself.