Anchorage-Elk Hunting

hi2u

I'm potentially looking at a future elk hunt in Alaska. After looking at $$ possibilities, I can fly for free to Anchorage with one partner, Stay at five star hotel for under 500 bucks for a full week(if in anchorage). I know this isn't the backpacking style hunt, but I have a lot of credit card points that allow me to fly/stay at certain hotels cheap.

I'm assuming its an hour drive from anchorage to a backpacking location and then the odds aren't in your favor.
Anyone hunt around anchorage and have some insight?

OP
H

hi2u

Moose pretty steady around anchorage? I'm just trying to plan some type of trip(since its basically free with points). I'm kindof a newbie and only done one elk hunt. Dream about a Moose hunt, but didn't think they would be that close to anchorage

P.S. Thanks for the link!

Brendan

I would imagine anywhere legal to hunt around Anchorage won't have many moose, but I'll let the AK folks chime in. You'd need to check on the AK DF&G site to see what areas are draw vs. OTC for non-residents. And - if you're a fairly inexperienced hunter, you should probably be investigating a guide.

If you want Elk - I would be looking in the lower 48 - Colorado, Idaho, Montana, etc.

Daniel_M

You won't be elk hunting anywhere road accessible from Anchorage. Only 2 places places to do so in Alaska and you'll need a draw tag and some serious mountaineering experience plus multiple methods of logistics either by air taxi, boat and possible raft.

Moose immediately surrounding Anchorage require a draw tag as well. Most outerlying areas from there require some sort of offroad vehicle.

OP
H

hi2u

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think Ill stick with my initial plan to just use the miles to fly to OTC states. Then backpack in and stay for free

woodmoose

use the hotel points to take your wife/girlfriend/significant other/mother on a nice vacation - build huge rapport and execute that backpack option you mentioned

Agla06

use the hotel points to take your wife/girlfriend/significant other/mother on a nice vacation - build huge rapport and execute that backpack option you mentioned
Winner.

Hell even better is to hunt near a city known for tourism so she stays at the hotel on your points and enjoys the spa / pool / antiquing/ whatever they do.

OP
H

hi2u

Winner.

Hell even better is to hunt near a city known for tourism so she stays at the hotel on your points and enjoys the spa / pool / antiquing/ whatever they do.

Good idea! I just gotta plan something and make it work. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you guys ight be experienced with points.. I just found out about a travel hack group(10x on facebook).

its helps people achieve mass amount of points, while keep a healthy credit rating.