Anchorage-Elk Hunting

hi2u

FNG
I'm potentially looking at a future elk hunt in Alaska. After looking at $$ possibilities, I can fly for free to Anchorage with one partner, Stay at five star hotel for under 500 bucks for a full week(if in anchorage). I know this isn't the backpacking style hunt, but I have a lot of credit card points that allow me to fly/stay at certain hotels cheap.

I'm assuming its an hour drive from anchorage to a backpacking location and then the odds aren't in your favor.
Anyone hunt around anchorage and have some insight?

OP
H

hi2u

FNG
Moose pretty steady around anchorage? I'm just trying to plan some type of trip(since its basically free with points). I'm kindof a newbie and only done one elk hunt. Dream about a Moose hunt, but didn't think they would be that close to anchorage

P.S. Thanks for the link!

Brendan

WKR
I would imagine anywhere legal to hunt around Anchorage won't have many moose, but I'll let the AK folks chime in. You'd need to check on the AK DF&G site to see what areas are draw vs. OTC for non-residents. And - if you're a fairly inexperienced hunter, you should probably be investigating a guide.

If you want Elk - I would be looking in the lower 48 - Colorado, Idaho, Montana, etc.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
They have dude ranches all over the West with high fences and you can get 5 star meals and shoot elk with giant racks man!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
You won't be elk hunting anywhere road accessible from Anchorage. Only 2 places places to do so in Alaska and you'll need a draw tag and some serious mountaineering experience plus multiple methods of logistics either by air taxi, boat and possible raft.

Moose immediately surrounding Anchorage require a draw tag as well. Most outerlying areas from there require some sort of offroad vehicle.

OP
H

hi2u

FNG
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think Ill stick with my initial plan to just use the miles to fly to OTC states. Then backpack in and stay for free

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
use the hotel points to take your wife/girlfriend/significant other/mother on a nice vacation - build huge rapport and execute that backpack option you mentioned

Agla06

FNG
use the hotel points to take your wife/girlfriend/significant other/mother on a nice vacation - build huge rapport and execute that backpack option you mentioned
Winner.

Hell even better is to hunt near a city known for tourism so she stays at the hotel on your points and enjoys the spa / pool / antiquing/ whatever they do.

OP
H

hi2u

FNG
Winner.

Hell even better is to hunt near a city known for tourism so she stays at the hotel on your points and enjoys the spa / pool / antiquing/ whatever they do.

Good idea! I just gotta plan something and make it work. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you guys ight be experienced with points.. I just found out about a travel hack group(10x on facebook).

its helps people achieve mass amount of points, while keep a healthy credit rating.