Anchorage Taxidermy

buzzy

WKR
Any suggestions for a taxidermist around Anchorage for a mountain goat. Heading to Kodiak in September from the lower 48 and was considering having it mounted, assuming I get one, up in Alaska. Was hoping to have Jesse Dahlberg but he may not be taking in new work so was looking for an alternative.

Thanks

tri-ole

FNG
I had a bear rug done at Knight’s taxidermy last year. Turnaround time was pretty quick and the hide looks great. I haven’t seen any of their goat mounts.

If you have a taxidermist in the lower 48 that you like, you can also use one of the expediters. I had The Wildlife Gallery flesh and freeze a goat. They periodically drive them to a tannery in the lower 48. Then, you can have the tannery send it to your taxidermist. They have met me at the airport before, which really helped when I had to deal with some travel delays.

Flesh it. Salt it. Overnight ship it to your taxidermist in lower 48. Shipping costs extremely reasonable.

I would like to know the freight expense on shipping a full-body mount of a mountain goat from Anchorage to the lower 48. $1000?, $2500?

jd270win

FNG
I’ve used Knights for bear and caribou multiple times. I’ve had buddies use them for moose and African animals. They have always done good work, and prices were reasonable. I went in there one day with a question about skinning bear skulls, and they took me to the back of the shop to see a professional demo.

I’ve never had them do a goat, but I bet they’ve done a bunch.

Jimss

WKR
Where do you live? It seems like a huge extra expense to have a mounted goat shipped to the lower 48. You are likely better off returning home with your horns/skull/cape/skin and having someone you trust mount it? It will likely only cost around $60 via Alaska Air to ship a box with your other luggage. I always like to visit my taxidermist several times to figure out exact poses, bases, etc. It's possible to alter forms etc before he adds the skin....look at rocks to see if they are detailed how I like, etc. Once the animal is placed on the form I can also see if I like how it looks prior to when it dries...in case I'd like something changed.

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Thanks everyone for the info. I live in CA but my taxidermist I normally use want way too much. The folks I like around here I'd have to send the hide and horns to so some shipping would be involved.

The Wildlife Gallery has a intake/processing facility in Anchorage. I believe they will, with advance arrangements, pick up hides and horns at certain locations, send them to their tannery, then to whatever taxidermist you choose anywhere in the country. I used them (my outfitter had the pick up arranged) for my recent dall sheep, and it has gone very smoothly so far.

Mike Fraser at Fur and Feather Taxidermy in south Anchorage, has been doing all my work now for going on 20 years, I think he does great work and he's reasonably priced.

Hughiam

FNG
Look me up on Facebook, In Nature's Image Taxidermy in Palmer. Ive been doing taxidermy professionally since 1996. State and international award winner. Good luck on your hunt.

I'd also recommend Mike with Fur and Feather Taxidermy. Does great work at a very reasonable price and he is very dependable. It is worth my effort to send him everything even though I live in Fairbanks. He is currently doing a sheep and a goat rug for me.

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Thanks everyone. I found someone I'm working with and look forward to seeing the final product.