And here it comes...

codym

WKR
I realize it can be a bit annoying when someones asks questions that could be answered with a little research-but what is worse is when someone posts something to belittle or criticize the person for asking. If you don't like the post ignore it and move on. When you post something negative in response it only makes you look like a jackass.

EVERY single hunter had to start somewhere. There is a polite way to tell someone they need to do a little homework. I am headed to a few areas in Wyoming & Montana soon and plan to scout for 3-4 weeks. I will not tell folks anything terribly specific but I also will not ostracize anyone for asking.

I didn't really see anyone in this thread ridiculing anyone directly, I think all the comments are honest but in good fun (at least mine are). I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feeling. I will say I doubt the guy shelling out the fee's to hunt big game out of state is a beginner.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cody,

I took zero offense in your post and see no problems directed at any one poster here. That said-rather than post a thread called "and here it comes" -why not post something like "A little advice to those looking for elk hunting tips and suggestions" and let folks know not to expect specific info from an online resource. Let them know we all had to do some research and get boots on the ground and they should expect the same to get the best results.

I am the first guy to say not to give out too much info as you never know what kind of hunter you are providing info to. I've been bitten by this (from a supposed friend) and it pissed me off but lesson learned and I do not divulge too much info to anyone. It just seems odd to go out there and complain about others asking info before they even ask. We have some folks that love to complain about others-I guess it gives a sense of superiority.

It's all good in the neighborhood

Cody,

I took zero offense in your post and see no problems directed at any one poster here. That said-rather than post a thread called "and here it comes" -why not post something like "A little advice to those looking for elk hunting tips and suggestions" and let folks know not to expect specific info from an online resource. Let them know we all had to do some research and get boots on the ground and they should expect the same to get the best results.

I am the first guy to say not to give out too much info as you never know what kind of hunter you are providing info to. I've been bitten by this (from a supposed friend) and it pissed me off but lesson learned and I do not divulge too much info to anyone. It just seems odd to go out there and complain about others asking info before they even ask. We have some folks that love to complain about others-I guess it gives a sense of superiority.

It's all good in the neighborhood

I agree, and maybe there is one, but i think there should be an etiquette post about asking for advice. Maybe it would help everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codym

WKR
Philos I gotcha. I use this forum mostly to chat with like minded folks that mostly "get me". Most people that I know don't hunt and the ones that do don't really put much into it and think I'm insane to back pack into the areas I do solo. Point being is very few people to disscuss this stuff with and at times we/me can get a little carried away.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, and maybe there is one, but i think there should be an etiquette post about asking for advice. Maybe it would help everyone.

Good idea! I think I will make such a post from the perspective of an easterner.

Philos I gotcha. I use this forum mostly to chat with like minded folks that mostly "get me". Most people that I know don't hunt and the ones that do don't really put much into it and think I'm insane to back pack into the areas I do solo. Point being is very few people to disscuss this stuff with and at times we/me can get a little carried away.

Haha keep telling them they don’t pack in far enough to those areas so we can keep killing them closer to the roads and not have to pack them so far ;)

ncstewart

WKR
Fellas I just hike and take pictures! I wouldn’t kill a poor helpless animal so your info is safe with me. PM me your spot tho don’t open post, I’ll keep it secret

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Fellas I just hike and take pictures! I wouldn’t kill a poor helpless animal so your info is safe with me. PM me your spot tho don’t open post, I’ll keep it secret

We already have plenty of recreationalists to deal with as well out here already.;) For pictures I would recommend RMNP.

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
Good idea! I think I will make such a post from the perspective of an easterner.

This is probably the best thing to come out of this thread. Perhaps the mods could make it a sticky to keep it at the top. The easiest thing for a new elk hunter, most likely a fatlander, to do is to call the area warden. In my experience, they will tell you just about everything they know. Where to find elk, the spots that see the most pressure, etc. I've chatted with a few wardens that were more than happy to point us in a good direction. Simply do a little research on GE and identify a few areas you're thinking of hunting and ask the warden or biologist about them. 9 of 10 times they'll tell you what you need to know to be successful.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
9 of 10 times they'll tell you what you need to know to be successful.

Two years ago I elk hunted a unit I had barely even stepped foot in before, let alone hunted or scouted. So I called the local office and they put me through to their warden in there. I told him I would be there for archery season and he said "Well, it's going to be quite a different hunt for you here......you can't just sit over open parks and meadows and wait for them to come out in the open". I reiterated that I was hunting the "archery" season, and he replied "Ya, I know". Okeedokey. SMH.

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
Two years ago I elk hunted a unit I had barely even stepped foot in before, let alone hunted or scouted. So I called the local office and they put me through to their warden in there. I told him I would be there for archery season and he said "Well, it's going to be quite a different hunt for you here......you can't just sit over open parks and meadows and wait for them to come out in the open". I reiterated that I was hunting the "archery" season, and he replied "Ya, I know". Okeedokey. SMH.

He probably got into it with his old lady that morning and wasn't feeling particularly generous.

Now that Colorado has released the elk draw, here come the threads....

"Not looking for your honey holes, but can anyone help me with unit XXX?"

"Has anyone hunted unit XXX? I drew a tag and dont know anything about it"

"I drew unit XXX - any help will be appreciated"

And so on...

My issue with loose lips ;)