And It Begins! Pack Workout!

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
Typing this while on the treadmill.
50lbs on my pack. Check
2.0 mph and 9degree incline.check
Thighs on fire. You know it!!!! But man I love chasing ELK!!!

njdoxie

WKR
Summer training hikes with a pack suck, the heat and humidity, aaaaahhhhh. But it would be much worse if I couldn’t train due to health issues, so I keep reminding myself that I’m fortunate to be able to train, and that grateful feeling keeps me grinding on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
32 year old former nfl lineman died today from heat stroke after working in his shop, be careful in the heat especially if your in great physical condition.....the better shape your in the more you can overdo it.

Last edited:

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Topped out the 1st of June at maybe 80% of hunting-ready condition and eased back, content to tie on my boots, grab my all day hunting pack, and do the mountains where it all happens. At 73, I can't hit 100% anymore and hold it for an entire Summer and into the September hunting season. Too much for me. Then I draw an early hunt that opens in mid-August. Guess who's running the hills now?

Been hiking with a small backpack with weights in it strapped to my Alps Commander Lite pack frame. I used 2 25lbs weights wrapped in a blanket and a pillow below to give extra comfort. I swapped out my little backpack for my actual backpack o plan to take and added my 3L water bladder. Went on a hike last week and certainly felt the weight increase. Came to 66lbs. Noticed the little cotter pins rattle like crazy so I bought some liquid electrical tape and those little suckers are getting a coat of that right now. Hopefully dampens the sound a good bit. 52 days til I in the elk woods!

I have been doing weighted pack training for about a month with a 40 lb pack and doing 2-4 miles in the morning before work 2-3 days a week and then a kettlebell/yoga work out about 3 days a week for about an hour a day.

I bumped the mileage up to a little over 6 miles with stops only to get some water or adjust the pack on Saturday and it destroyed my knees and hips. In college I had surgery 3 consecutive summers on my right knee and now it’s got arthritis. I have felt no ill effects with the shorter distance but the 6 miles has me concerned I may not be able to get in good enough shape for my first elk hunt this fall.

I have this issue with my hip if I run over four miles. Had nasty accident years ago and the metal hip doesn’t like anything over four miles too many times per week. Soooo. I just run two or three loaded with 25# weighted backpack. There’s always a way around the barn, sometimes it’s by running through it. 😁

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Oh Ya!!! The real thing is upon us! Our next comments & photos will be packing the Beast off the mountain!! (big grin)

ElkNut/PaulBrenda's 2nd pick.jpg

Usi05

WKR
Down 23 lbs.

Walking hills 3 times a week with pack weights between 30-50#.

Running bleachers 5x a week for an hour.

Shooting my bow daily.

Lifting and yoga sprinkled in.

4x a week on ElkNut app with the tube