And It Begins! Pack Workout!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Usio5, thanks man! Luck to you too!

Staying in elk shape isn't easy for sure, the older we get the more I need to be on my toes if I want to continue doing it the way I enjoy it the most! I have 6 different elk hunts this year & that leaves little time for any real world resting. I look forward to everyone of them & do my best to give it my all for all involved. I don't want to let anyone down because I was lazy & out of shape, elk hunting is my life & I will do whatever it takes not to miss a single Sept.

Doing a full body work out which includes pack training helps me mentally & physically, both are crucial when you hunt nearly everday of Sept. & a few days prior & after that. This includes multiple elk pack outs. I've done it most of my life & I know what it takes for me & out of me to be fully prepared, at 64 it doesn't get easier but the enjoyment I receive is like I was 20 again! No way in hell am I ready to quit & training is what makes it all come together & doable for me! Gotta head out with the pack now!

ElkNut/Paul

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I guess this "Master" aged hunter will break down and get one of those down quilts and fancy sleeping pads to save some pack weight, use trekking poles(never done those) and take it real slow and easy. We are going to do 1-2 day forays from base camp a couple of times rather than a full blown week with 50-60 ib. packs. At least I get to be in the mountains chasing elk even if I am not as nimble as a billy goat anymore.

2bgop

FNG
I started getting ready last week. I am having a toe issue on my right foot, so I have had to back off for a few months, but I can't slack off any longer. Starting with an easy load, 25lbs.

Jacack

WKR
Started getting serious mid April, doing 2 miles with 38lbs 4-5 mornings a week and 2 miles 3 afternoons dragging a tire. Neighbors just stare.

No hills here in fl but we got a couple bridges I walk once or twice a week.

Try to mix in some box step ups but been slacking lately.

Calling for mid 90s and heat index of 100+ this weekend, not sure if it really helps with the altitude but I keep telling myself it does

bmf0713

WKR
Started about a month ago. Doing tons of squats and cardio. Planning on loosing my pack weight off the beer belly I gained this winter! Im Hunting rifle so ill start doing heavy pack exercises in September.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Started one of the Mountain Tactical programs a couple weeks ago. Doing some base programming to get my endurance and fitness levels up and then I'll be switching over to their preseason Big Game program. Loving it so far but it's been challenging trying to find the time.

The programs call for 6 days a week. Not much free time between work, two small kids and a wife that also works full time, but I've been managing so far. Can't wait to get back out West in September though!

njdoxie

WKR
I do the same workout year around as it’s just too painful to regain what I lost, it’s slightly less painful to just stay in top shape. In addition to stair machine, treadmill on max incline, weights, I do a 4.6 mile hike with 45# once a week.
My pack is stuffed with towels to keep the barbell weights up high....to those wondering why the weights need to remain high, try putting it in the bottom of your pack and then it’s obvious.

I used to hump 85#, then had back surgery possibly caused by that weight so I dropped to 45#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I started during the winter, by attaching attaching a sled to my waist with a rope and snowshoeing it up hills to work on lungs/heart/endurance...then I started putting on a weighted pack and going up hill...it's been hard work and hopefully totally worth it.

jnordwell

FNG
Started with my day pack normal weight this weekend.. walking on the treadmill.. 2-2.5 miles every morning this weekend. Will be mainly working off that and ramp up when I can..

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Bleachers at the high school with a 45-50lb backpack. Worked up to 30 minutes of continuous so far at a steady pace. I found that a couple bags of rubber mulch fill the back pack up real nice.

jmcd22

WKR
Usio5, thanks man! Luck to you too!

Staying in elk shape isn't easy for sure, the older we get the more I need to be on my toes if I want to continue doing it the way I enjoy it the most! I have 6 different elk hunts this year & that leaves little time for any real world resting. I look forward to everyone of them & do my best to give it my all for all involved. I don't want to let anyone down because I was lazy & out of shape, elk hunting is my life & I will do whatever it takes not to miss a single Sept.

Doing a full body work out which includes pack training helps me mentally & physically, both are crucial when you hunt nearly everday of Sept. & a few days prior & after that. This includes multiple elk pack outs. I've done it most of my life & I know what it takes for me & out of me to be fully prepared, at 64 it doesn't get easier but the enjoyment I receive is like I was 20 again! No way in hell am I ready to quit & training is what makes it all come together & doable for me! Gotta head out with the pack now!

ElkNut/Paul

Paul, were you walking by Dead On this weekend? I thought I saw you walking with your pack!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes sir, that would be me! I'm the only crazy guy to do that over that way! (grin) I'm out all over 3-4 days a week with the pack & toss in a run in-between without the pack! Gotta stay in elk shape, it will be here before we all know it! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

MtnOyster

WKR
I’ll start next week after I get the rest of my crops planted, I have to admit I start getting a little burnt by the end of August but proud I stuck with it after I get to altitude, I generally start out with my pack, 2 liter bladder and my bow and work my way up with weight and hitting the bleachers at our local high school in the mornings before work.......a pic of how I generally start.D9C3D89C-963A-4F79-B93A-07B4A77DAB79.jpeg

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Great idea to have your bow attached! I thought of doing that here but felt I'd wait closer to Sept. Way to be getting after it, the elk will hate you! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

GregB

WKR
Made it out to the Owyhees this weekend, 40ish pounds 6 miles with 1100ft of gain in the first couple miles. and a couple pounds of mud on my shoes.

Tradchef

WKR
I have a pack on year round from a heavier day pack to my day pack/overnighter/meat hauler. It’ll come to gym with me more frequently now but any chance I can get in the hills with a pack I’m there.