And It Begins! Pack Workout!

*zap*

WKR
If your using weight plates you might try a radio pouch attached to the frame up high for holding them, works like a charm. The ILBE pouches have a zip top(marpat camo), the molle have a pull tab top. They are fairly inexpensive on ebay and if you have a way to attach them inside your day pack one will add some organization ability.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, I've ran their Exo Packs every year since their birth & my plan is to have the New K3 this year! Can't wait to put a few bulls through it! I'm sure it will perform awesome as their others have!

What pack are you running?

ElkNut/Paul

I haven’t got today’s workout in yet but I have averaged close to 6 miles of daily activity in May so far.

14e7eeaea38a1d53d1aef4a7da3c5c4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its way too hot around here! 95 today with 90% humidity. I started my pack workouts in January when it was nice and cool. Summertime is for fishing. I will continue to do some pack workouts throughout the summer, but I have already worked up to 100lbs for 4 miles. I will stick with lighter weights now, probably 40lbs, throughout the summer. I just can't motivate myself to carry 75-80 lb pack in July when its 100 degrees and 99% humidity.

jragsdal

Lil-Rokslider
I started back in January. I have lost 35 lbs with about 25 more to go. I am stepping away from lifting and going almost completely cardio/rucking. I have also spent sometime on my local high school bleachers with 60 pounds. A lot more of that to come. Also using the ElkNut app to perfect my calling!

Last year was my first time out west and found out the hard way what a Colorado mountain will do to you! Altitude sickness, Heels torn down to the meat, couldn’t take a deep breath to save my life...But almost got a shot on a 4x4 satellite bull!! The mountain won last year, but this flat lander is prepping for round 2 this year...lost weight, cardio, weighted pack hikes. Learned that I really didn’t need as much “stuff” as I thought. So my pack should be at least 10-15lbs lighter this year (was hauling 40-45lbs last year!). It’s gonna be a different story this go around!

njdoxie

WKR
Today it felt like summer so the suck factor increases, will stay that way until October, I don’t train any different, not backing off, just grit my teeth a little more, and half way through the weighted hike, dogs are looking at me, for any sign that I’m turning around, they’ve had enough lol

Two elk hunts scheduled this year. One in New Mexico and one in Colorado. Started back walking with my pack. Pack is 48 lbs. I will load it up more as we get closer to September. The last two years I have been doing 4 miles a night and averaging 5 nights a week, Starting in June. Generally walk at night after dark as it is just to hot in Texas during July and August to be out in the sunlight. The " J O B " also runs late some nights. Really has made a positive difference in the mountains. A side benefit is losing the extra weight out rucking like that. I hope New Mexico does not wear me down too much for Colorado this year. Taking a week off in between the two hunts to hopefully recover. Got started late in life elk hunting and I am trying to get it while I can still do it. Keep up the good work gentlemen.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
A lifelong backpacker, mountain climber, peak bagger, deer and elk chaser, I never miss a workout unless I'm hunting or fishing. To me, its a religion. 4 pounds of ankle weights on each leg, start with ten pounds on my back in January and work up to 40 by June. 4 miles every day. 30 miles a week. Half of that 30 is on the up and up. Work out with weights 3 days a week. For you Boise locals, I just did Cervidae and Heinen in successive days a week ago. My wife says I must really enjoy the pain. She's right. Keep at it, all of you guys. Never quit.

I'm a 9 year major cancer survivor.

I'll be 73 in July.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
sagebuster, that's is awesome & very inspiring, good for you sir. Hope I can still be trucking along when I'm 73! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Usi05

WKR
Anyone else on the yoga train?

Couple weeks in with my girl and I’m feeling the increase in flexibility. I have always been stiff though

bozeman

WKR
3 miles with 50# pack this AM up/down gravel log roads (balance, stability) and then 35 mins in the bleachers @ local High School!

Beendare

WKR
I took your suggestion/challenge yesterday adding a 35# pack to the steep 3 mile route I have close to the house.

It sure tells a guy how in/out of shape he is with the extra pack weight....I have some work to do!

njdoxie

WKR
A lifelong backpacker, mountain climber, peak bagger, deer and elk chaser, I never miss a workout unless I'm hunting or fishing. To me, its a religion. 4 pounds of ankle weights on each leg, start with ten pounds on my back in January and work up to 40 by June. 4 miles every day. 30 miles a week. Half of that 30 is on the up and up. Work out with weights 3 days a week. For you Boise locals, I just did Cervidae and Heinen in successive days a week ago. My wife says I must really enjoy the pain. She's right. Keep at it, all of you guys. Never quit.

I'm a 9 year major cancer survivor.

I'll be 73 in July.

You sound much tougher than me, no question, I’m 55 and imagine I’ll be done in 10 years or so.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Doxie,

I'm just a lucky old SOB. Started elk and deer hunting at a young age and realized what kind of shape I had to be in if I wanted to keep at it all of my life. My carcass breaks down regularly, just like everyone else's. I learned early on that you have to be selfish about yourself when it comes to getting into and staying in shape. Nothing like hearing a big bull bugle on a frosty morning in mid-September. I'll take on whatever I need to take on to hear that until I'm 90. I imagine everybody that has posted on this thread feels the same way. It's all about motivation. I use you, you use me. You won't be done in ten years...you'll just be different. I expect you'll be walking over my back at 65.

Sagebuster

Elk97

WKR
bumped the pack up 10 to 40lbs today. Did the same steep switchback powerline road and it felt pretty good. I like how the new pack handles the weight. The three month count down has started.

jnordwell

FNG
Yes, I've ran their Exo Packs every year since their birth & my plan is to have the New K3 this year! Can't wait to put a few bulls through it! I'm sure it will perform awesome as their others have!

What pack are you running?

ElkNut/Paul
I bought my first high end pack this year.. do to necessity stone glacier krux evo frame and a sky 6200 bag.. love how light it is and fits me one big compartment no unused pockets..

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Been packing my 25lb daughter around. Started having bad foot pain last week. Plantar fasciitis or something similar? Gout? Behind the big toe joint. Had to stay off the slackline for a few days (awesome workout for stabilizing muscles). Can't beat the workout with good company on your back! Hopefully I'll build up enough to carry the wife!

Does anyone have a recommendation on good solid insoles for hiking? I usually use Footminders but recently switched and I think that may have added to my foot issue. Ordered some Superfeet yesterday. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• signal-2019-04-18-210758.jpg
    signal-2019-04-18-210758.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 38
OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
I did 4 miles with 42.5 # -- It's starting to heat up & may consider bringing water fairly soon! Keep it up guys & gals. I know there has to be some gals out there as well shouldering a pack!

ElkNut/Paul