And It Begins! Pack Workout!

ElkNut1

WKR
Today is the first day of my pack workout, I look forward to this day every year, it means Elk Season is on the horizon! I now swap out a couple run days for pack work. I start with 30# & work up from there, works well each season.

Who's started & who's getting ready to too? It's never too early! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I started 3 weeks ago with 50# and think it's time to start bumping up the weight a bit.

slick

WKR
Started about a month ago. Swapped out one run a week with a 60lb sandbag and 5mi behind the house with the dogs. Complimented with a couple short backpacks trips for bears.

Will get to hike an average of 7-10mi a day for the next couple months for work, also hoping to up the weekly paid workout to 2x a week soon.

Oregon Archery season is a short 95 days away

adrock456

FNG
The 3d range I shoot at is at a State park so I bring the pack with a 50lb sand bag and hit a couple miles on the trails before shooting.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes sir, you guys are getting after it, nice!

GregB, I hear ya, I'm here in Boise & awaiting the rains as well. I'm heading out for my jaunt though rain or shine, the elk don't care if my ole body isn't ready come elk season! (grin) Good luck bud!

ElkNut/Paul

Today is the first day of my pack workout, I look forward to this day every year, it means Elk Season is on the horizon! I now swap out a couple run days for pack work. I start with 30# & work up from there, works well each season.

ElkNut/Paul

Great work Paul. Question - why May 21st?

For me I never stop. Already at fighting weight. Can the season start tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks! -- I do workout with weights & run year around so I do not stop either. But come late May & no later than June 1st I include the pack workout. So it's not so much a date as it is the time frame, thanks for asking & keep up the good work, some days are a grind but don't give in!

ElkNut/Paul

rokclmb

FNG

ElkNut/Paul

I also did my first pack hike yesterday evening. Did about 25# for 2 miles on hilly terrain. Felt great!

slobow

FNG
Not sure why i started yesterday as well but sounds like many of us are realizing its time! Love this time of year in preparation for the upcoming hunts. I'm usually in a wilderness area far from any roads for archery deer and elk but already have a deer tag that will not require many vertical feet this year. Still going to prep like usual.

bozeman

WKR
I never really stopped 'working out'...….but will start wearing the pack more. I have built up to #115 barbell step ups in the AM once/twice a week (started @ #75), so that helps keep the legs, glutes, back strong...….will have the sand bag in the SO Unaweep 4800 when I find out if I drew my CO tag in a couple weeks......Good luck to all, stay safe while training!

Wapiti1

WKR
This year I did something different and did a half marathon first week of May in Indy. Kept me more motivated through the winter. I do at least 4 days a week in the gym all year long, but it helps my intensity if I have some kind of goal.

Now that we might, possibly, maybe, get a few warmer, less rainy days, the pack is out for walks with the dog after work. Same kind of plan as most others, 30-40lbs then work up to 80 before the season.

Jeremy

jmcd22

WKR
I've hit Table Rock a couple of times. Now I'm waiting for the rain to quit so I can get back out.

This weather has been odd and sort of annoying but we need the moisture.

I've been going hard on the stairmaster at the gym for the last two months but will gradually start adding hikes in soon and then add weight.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
Took the wife out and did 4 miles in the rain and snow ( loveland Co). Thought that I was going to be way out of shape but as it turns out I should have weighed down the pack a little! Good to see everyone getting motivated so early!

I have been doing weighted pack training for about a month with a 40 lb pack and doing 2-4 miles in the morning before work 2-3 days a week and then a kettlebell/yoga work out about 3 days a week for about an hour a day.

I bumped the mileage up to a little over 6 miles with stops only to get some water or adjust the pack on Saturday and it destroyed my knees and hips. In college I had surgery 3 consecutive summers on my right knee and now it’s got arthritis. I have felt no ill effects with the shorter distance but the 6 miles has me concerned I may not be able to get in good enough shape for my first elk hunt this fall.

Last edited:

ElkNut/Paul
Wife and I do bleachers all year, but this is the time of year I start thinking of adding weight. Will hopefully work up to 30# on my back, running 50 sets of bleachers at the HS stadium (2250 total steps) incorporated into 3.5 miles of walking to and from the track and between sets of bleachers (either side of the stadium).

Working out for elk season makes these hot humid summers just a hair more bearable.

I have been doing weighted pack training for about a month with a 40 lb pack and doing 2-4 miles in the morning before work and then a kettlebell/yoga work out about 3 days a week for about an hour a day.

I bumped the mileage up to a little over 6 miles with stops only to get some water or adjust the pack on Saturday and it destroyed my knees and hips. In college I had surgery 3 consecutive summers on my right knee and now it’s got arthritis. I have felt no ill effects with the shorter distance but the 6 miles has me concerned I may not be able to get in good enough shape for my first elk hunt this fall.

If you're already doing this, you're already in good enough shape. As someone else here said, elk hunting is as much about mental training as it is physical. Lots of guys in much better shape than me, have quit early not because of their bodies but because of their minds.

Catahoula

WKR
Been on my mountain bike some with a day pack with 20lbs of weight in it. I’ll get to hiking with my larger pack when the cruddy weather moves on from Northern Colorado.