And It Begins! Pack Workout!

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Every day is Groundhog day. Keep on keepin' on. Take the weights out of your pack and load it up with the equivalent in water. Cold water. You can moderate the amount of weight your carrying by the most obvious methods. But you already knew that.

Sagebuster

Pwells10

WKR
If it stops raining I'll start packing. I'm here in Pocatello and the last 16 days it has rained. My yard looks like a damn meadow. I'll be running inside most likely tonight AGAIN.

Beendare

WKR
Its going to be Mtn bike time here soon as its warming up.....at least then I can generate some air flow.

Going to try and sneak in a pig hunt tomorrow....got an invite to a buddies place

Ahhh my "old friends" have shown up. Every year they they pop back in to visit and remind me, that as I get older, I need to start a little slower. My go "get er done " attitude needs to be curbed back a little. The wife reminds me, but then we don't always listen to them most the time anyway...do we? But! the Old "Blisters" never fail to bring me back to reality! Keep up the good work gentlemen!

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
I started doing 4-6 miles 3x a week late March. Just moved from 6200ft of elevation to 650ft so that didn’t help my advances at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been doing some weighted hikes with 50lbs. Started. Few weeks back with a 25lb dumbbell. Jumped up to 50 last week and did 2.5 miles to get used to the weight change. Need to adjust my hip straps a little bit but it went well.

Been packing my 25lb daughter around. Started having bad foot pain last week. Plantar fasciitis or something similar? Gout? Behind the big toe joint. Had to stay off the slackline for a few days (awesome workout for stabilizing muscles). Can't beat the workout with good company on your back! Hopefully I'll build up enough to carry the wife!

Does anyone have a recommendation on good solid insoles for hiking? I usually use Footminders but recently switched and I think that may have added to my foot issue. Ordered some Superfeet yesterday. Thanks in advance!
I'm having a similar issue but it manifested after playing rugby. It is extremely uncomfortable. I have an appointment with the doc next Wed. I'll jump back on here and let you know if I figure out what mone is and maybe it'll steer you in a good direction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having a similar issue but it manifested after playing rugby. It is extremely uncomfortable. I have an appointment with the doc next Wed. I'll jump back on here and let you know if I figure out what mone is and maybe it'll steer you in a good direction.

Appreciate it. I think it was because of my change of insoles in the end. I do believe to have some underlying issue however so any input is appreciated! Back on my slackline at least after switching back to Footminders insoles. I think you may have turf toe if it started during rugby... I thought I was getting it from jumping off my line. Good luck to you and I hope it gets better! Limping around is no fun.

I have been doing weighted pack training for about a month with a 40 lb pack and doing 2-4 miles in the morning before work 2-3 days a week and then a kettlebell/yoga work out about 3 days a week for about an hour a day.

I bumped the mileage up to a little over 6 miles with stops only to get some water or adjust the pack on Saturday and it destroyed my knees and hips. In college I had surgery 3 consecutive summers on my right knee and now it’s got arthritis. I have felt no ill effects with the shorter distance but the 6 miles has me concerned I may not be able to get in good enough shape for my first elk hunt this fall.

@ Farmindale- i hear ya loud and clear. I broke my back a number of times, and had a major accident 4 years ago. mostly metal in my right hip and leg now. I have done six or eight of the mud type races over the last couple years. In training... if i go over the 4 mile mark jogging, bad news. hip and back go into serious shut down.

Now its training everyday with Mountain Tactical plan. if you guys haven't tried them DO IT. Rob Shaul is a program guru and i love his work. Put my own kettlebell program together now and mixing in the back pack work starting THIS WEEK... Bring on CO mountains. i will be fit and ready!!

Appreciate it. I think it was because of my change of insoles in the end. I do believe to have some underlying issue however so any input is appreciated! Back on my slackline at least after switching back to Footminders insoles. I think you may have turf toe if it started during rugby... I thought I was getting it from jumping off my line. Good luck to you and I hope it gets better! Limping around is no fun.
So I got a diagnosis of hallux rigidus. Basically my bones are smashing together because I have bone growth in the ball of the big toe ball joint. I thought was turf toe but it was for sure not because there was no damage the sesmoids or surrounding ligaments. The doc said I'll be good until after archery elk season but to wear stiffer boots. I went this weekend and picked up some Crispi Colorados. The reduced flex is really helping. I'll be having surgery to shave down some bone and get back to normal in Oct.

bozeman

WKR
50# in the pack and local high school bleachers 2x/week.............I hit 40 last fall and man, you can DEF tell a difference in recovery time.....the good thing is my wife and 2 kiddos have joined in as we have started spending most vac in national parks and hiking! The family that 'walks bleachers together stays together'? :)

Keep at it fellas and stay hydrated!

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
So I got a diagnosis of hallux rigidus. Basically my bones are smashing together because I have bone growth in the ball of the big toe ball joint. I thought was turf toe but it was for sure not because there was no damage the sesmoids or surrounding ligaments. The doc said I'll be good until after archery elk season but to wear stiffer boots. I went this weekend and picked up some Crispi Colorados. The reduced flex is really helping. I'll be having surgery to shave down some bone and get back to normal in Oct.

Oh wow. I hope you get feeling better! I hope I'm not in the same boat as my pain has come and gone many time over the years. I appreciate you taking time to come back and let me know. It does seem stiffer boots usually help. The Crispis look really nice. Good luck hunting!

sneaky

"DADDY"
@ Farmindale- i hear ya loud and clear. I broke my back a number of times, and had a major accident 4 years ago. mostly metal in my right hip and leg now. I have done six or eight of the mud type races over the last couple years. In training... if i go over the 4 mile mark jogging, bad news. hip and back go into serious shut down.

Now its training everyday with Mountain Tactical plan. if you guys haven't tried them DO IT. Rob Shaul is a program guru and i love his work. Put my own kettlebell program together now and mixing in the back pack work starting THIS WEEK... Bring on CO mountains. i will be fit and ready!!
Sorry, but after Rob Shaul came out with his bullshit hunting group and theory I wouldn't give him a penny of my money. He should stick to training, and keep his other thoughts to himself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm lucky in that I can walk out the front or back door and basically head straight up from a starting elevation of about 5400ft. I feel for you guys starting from 700-800ft. It's tough.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For those who dropped or are dropping weight, that is impressive and hats off to you. I dropped 30# last fall with most of it coming off last September. Just changing a few dietary bad habits has helped me keep it off. Since I started going to the gym recently, I've put 5# back on. I cannot weight for September. I crave the torture of the Co Rockies ;)

Yesterday I did 2.5 miles with 50# and a couple hundred feet of gain. Not anything to crow about, but it was effectively day 1 of training.

I realized I needed it when I did a quick 7 mile (r.t.) backpack overnight last weekend. It was fine but I was really tired the next day.