And it was then he realized.......

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
hey dude, it could be worse. My buddy (a surgeon) and I traveled all the to bethel in 2003-ish with a pile of rafting and hunting gear. We had so much crap the pilot gave us an extra 30 min to shed some weight.

he took an air pump out of his kit and so did I, but we didn't mention it to each other. Flew 2 hours to the drop off and realized we didn't have a way to inflate our raft! The plane was long gone.

chalk it up to making someone else feel better about their easy-to-fix problems, bro! LOL

I drove three hours to begin a weeklong elk hunt. My buddy and I climbed into the tent, got into our sleeping bags and I realized clearly that I had left my boots at home. I hunted the next day in a pair of ten-year old puma's with no tread and laces tied so as not to ever need to be tied (slip-ons). Then, we drove to my house, got my boots, and drove back. Didn't even shoot an elk after all that either.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
dont most guys clip release onto bow EVERY TIME. that is my failsafe method. Clipping that release onto the bow as is goes into the case is as ingrained as my shooting form from practice.

Of course i guess that means you are missing the release and the bow if you forget the bow 😀

Last edited:
OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Case, lol. I wish I had enough money for one of those right now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Always look around before leaving any area you have spent time at. Then you won't leave a gun, or your release on the dash, diaphram call on a rock, treestand at home, fishing rods back at the trailer and so on. Guilty on all accounts.

lO5EQUe.jpg

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't actually expect this thread to blow up like this. Thanks everyone for putting this in perspective and giving me something to laugh at.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Michael54

WKR
It could be worse. A few guns have been found in the woods. At least you remembered where your release was. Grid walking an area in the morning looking for a gun you left on the ground the night before only to realize someone else already picked it up sucks...

ScottinPA

WKR
Like tuffcity, I shoot a recurve. It might sting a little shooting barefinger but that's a stupid tax.

When I was a kid, my grandfather took me rifle hunting for deer since Dad had to work. We went to the stand in the dark hunted several hours and came home. He told me to go ahead and unload the gun as we got close. I then realized I hadn't loaded it to begin with. Oops.

mtnkid85

WKR
Earlier this year, I had several delays trying to leave for a hunt. Took two more days of loading and unloading the truck before I actually got to leave. Drove 3 hours to the jeep trail I was going in on, got out aired down all four tires then realized my entire hunting pack was still sitting at the door in my gear room at home.
Aired up, drove home got my pack, turned around and went back in. Managed to burn an ENTIRE day driving back and fourth. Oh well I got my bull the next day.

GotDraw?

WKR
AG Decker, son of founder of Black & Decker had a fabulous farm in north eastern MD, near DE and south of Philly. Farm was essentially a no-fence 3-400ac gentleman's game farm on the Chesapeake Bay's, tidal Sassafras River. That farm was surrounded by DuPont, Firestone and other family farms-- all of them managed for game. The soybeans, corn, and cover crop in that area were amazing and Decker, Firestone, Dupont, etc spared no expense on their farms.

Dad and I hunted with Decker and others for decades before Decker passed away. All rifle hunting from deluxe tree stand blinds.

Anyhow, when I was kid, Dad got off his stand at lunch one day and grabbed me to go to the local deli for lunch. Got back around one pm and was taking the long walk through corn stubble to the blind, which overlooked a small, 40' deep underbrush-choked drainage to the Sassafrass. I crested a rise near the blind and directly UNDER my stand was a pure albino, massive 10pt and an equally huge non-albino.

They see me, I see them, and we all start running. They drop into the drainage. 17 years old at the time and playing soccer for two teams, I haul ass across that field jacking a shell in the Weatherby 300 Mk5 on the fly. I'm fast, but not fast enough and I get to the rim as they crest the other side. Last image was their tails in the air giving me the finger.

To this day, the most expensive sandwich I ever had.

JL

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
First night coyote hunt.

Waited weeks for snow and a full moon.

Got to the field and realized trigger lock was still on gun.

Did not have key. 😒
I won't confirm how I know but many trigger locks can be removed with only a few curse words, scratched trigger guards and the occasional pinched finger if sticks and rocks are available, long handled pruning shears do work better though. On a related note I now only own combination trigger locks.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've had my share of forgetting stuff, in general and in a bow stand. Most recently I forgot my cell phone and I was with a buddy and we had taken a small boat to a difficult to reach area of a buddy's farm, so I had no way to communicate with him when we split up and took separate stands. Idiot.

I highly recommend The Checklist Manifesto book (by Atul Gawande). I have taken the recommendations therein to heart in many business respects, and sometimes to keep lists for packing, but this thread just reminded me it would be helpful for some of these errors. On that note, I just bought a backup Nock 2 It release, but that doesn't mean I might not forget *both* of them!

Fatcamp

WKR
I won't confirm how I know but many trigger locks can be removed with only a few curse words, scratched trigger guards and the occasional pinched finger if sticks and rocks are available, long handled pruning shears do work better though. On a related note I now only own combination trigger locks.

Factory Benelli. A rock wasn't gonna cut it. 😒

I once hiked 4 miles to get a shot on a cow. Got into position, it started getting dark, they came over the ridge to feed 40 yards from me.... Where's my release? In the leaves about 4 miles back where I was glassing. Now I carry a spare 😂