and off to the bow shop I go....Damnit

Rob5589

WKR
Don't feel like I was torqueing the bow much at all really.
The arrow went about 5 feet in front of me and the nock was still on the string. So really not sure what all went on.
Had been shooting just fine before that.

Bow is a Mathews Vertix

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
You had an arrow nocked? Weird that it derailed.

A "real" bench-mounted press would be best, but if you're not ready to make that investment, at least get a cheap portable press (Bowmaster, Bow Medic, Synunm or similar) for emergencies and occasional tuning/setup work.
Yup! I do all my own tuning for the past 4 years and this is good enough for me. The expense and size of a fullsize press has kept me from going all in but for the couple times a year I need to make tuning adjustments it's awesome to have something to pop out. I also bring it to the range and can add/remove twists while shooting to tune.

I even put a new string on last year with the bowmaster!

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
You had an arrow nocked? Weird that it derailed.
Yea that's what I thought also I really didn't even know what happened at first till I saw the arrow in front of me stuck in the ground barely and the nock was still on the string and my release still attached to the loop. Just a weird deal and really don't know what happened exactly.
So now I am wondering of letting down is also something I need to work on. I know that you won't always get a chance to get an arrow off on an animal. And honestly I have let down on a critter more than once. But never had a derail before like this.

Yea that's what I thought also I really didn't even know what happened at first till I saw the arrow in front of me stuck in the ground barely and the nock was still on the string and my release still attached to the loop. Just a weird deal and really don't know what happened exactly.
So now I am wondering of letting down is also something I need to work on. I know that you won't always get a chance to get an arrow off on an animal. And honestly I have let down on a critter more than once. But never had a derail before like this.

Only things I can think of are:
  1. You letdown while choking your grip and the torque derailed it
  2. Some object got between the string and cam and caused a derail
My dumbass had #2 happen years ago. I had a spare release on the bow and the strap or something got between the string and cam as I let down and it derailed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Some cams have deeper channels and some have shallower channels. I've heard of guys letting down before and derailing because of torque induced, so I'm quite sure it's possible to do the same while inadvertently releasing an arrow mid letdown. Change the angle of the string coming off the cams and..........WHAM! And the more aggressive the bow, the more likely this can happen.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Well stopped in the shop last night after work and got her all out back together. Retired the bow and put the peep back in and she's about as good as new.
Guy at the shop did said it had a small spot on the lower cam that just barely had a spot where the lip hand a bit of a bend to it. Nothing too concerning as it dosen't get close to the string or serving.
So she's back to shooting again.
Gonna keep my eye on it for a while.