Angled or straight spotter

Beastmode

WKR
Upgrading my spotter this year and I have always used straight. I am going to be getting in to digiscoping. I have never had any issues with my straight scope as far as setting up. My biggest fear of an angled spotter is target acquisition. Other than that the angled spotter is winning in pros vs cons. Especially for digiscoping.

Any input appreciated. Thanks guys.

-Grant

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I too used a straight for a couple years then when I upgraded I went to an angled for no other reason than to try something different and I am glad I made the switch. I have since sold that spotter and just recently bought another a couple weeks ago and again went with the angled. For me it's just more comfortable to glass with and I too digiscope a lot and prefer the angled. Target acquisition will take a couple outings to get used to but no biggy IMO.

Last edited:
OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

WKR
Thanks Juan. Thats pretty much what I have gathered as far as target acquisition taking a little bit to get used to.

sk1

WKR
i use angled, all i do is eyeball down the side of my spotter pointing it in the direction of what i want to see.....im usually just about right on when i then look through it, so target acquisition has never been an issue for me.......i just feel like they are more comfortable to look through, but definitely a personal preference thing

edit: my previous spotter was straight, and i like angled better.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, it only takes a few times to get used to the angle. Really like the angled spotter, no disadvantages IMO

I like a straight. Most of the time I am glassing I try to sit and with an angled spotter I get hunched over. Its worse when I am glassing down hill.

I prefer a straight as i'm always looking straight away or downhill..easier for me to acquire the target faster.

file_zps1d3a4d56.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
arrowslinger,

I use that SLik head too! Are the legs 340EZ? Kind of an overlooked bargain setup, IMO.

Still prefer angled. :)

AKDiascope.jpg

Last edited:
arrowslinger,

I use that SLik head too! Are the legs 340EZ? Kind of an overlooked bargain setup, IMO.

Still prefer angled. :)

Yep, same tripod. Love that thing- solid on windy days, didn't break the bank and isn't too heavy for lugging around the backcountry!

Straight spotter, your neck will thank you!

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The collar allows you to turn the angled to comfortable positions no matter your position. Straight you are stuck with one position so your neck has to become angled - ouch. Angled all the way.

Add me to the angled group. Only negative I have found is fitting it in the pack it takes up more room than a comparable straight scope. I don't have to extend my spotter as high with the angled scope and using the collar to rotate it you can keep a low profile when needed. I do the look down the side thing sometimes to aim it and also just plan to use 20x for acquisition and then crank up the power when I have the target centered. Works great with a window mount too when doing the road trip thing.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Angled for sure!

As others have mentioned, I can glass 180 degrees without moving my head/neck/body. If you try this with a straight you'll be moving all over!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm an angled guy for everyones listed reasons above. However, angled vs. straight spotter is a personal preference thing. Best thing to do is find a couple to use side by side in a store or even better some buddies to use in the field for a while and see what you prefer for ergonomics and what not. Like anything else just cause it works well for one, doesn't mean it will for someone else.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

WKR
Luke I have looked through an angled a little outdoors. I just don't have hours of glassing behind an angled spotter. Unfortunately everyone I hunt with uses a straight spotter so using one for some long glassing sessions is out of the question. Think I'm gonna get the angled and shouldn't take too long to get used to.