Angled vs straight spotting scope

I going to purchase a new spotting scope. I have owned 2 angled and never a straight. Wanting to try a straight this time, any pros or cons before buying? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you glass from a tripod with binos (if not you should) It’s a two second swap, from binoculars to straight bodied spotter, or said spotter to binos... no adjustments of tripod, stay on target.

For this reason alone, i will never understand how anyone runs angled spotters. But... to each their own.

I glass with buddies that take 1-2 minutes going back and forth, or they forgo using a tripod to glass with binos. Either way, major mistake in my opinion.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I’m no expert but I went from a straight one to angled when I got my swaro (last spotter I will be purchasing). A big factor for me was being able to get by with not having my tripod extended as high so it’s more stable. I think it works better for having others take a look through the spotter too with angled. Both definitely have their advantages, but I am very happy with my decision. Is there a reason why you want to switch? I would lean more on why the angled does/doesn’t work for you than what works for others since we all have our preferences.

Marble

WKR
I like the angled. Not worried about rain and snow.

I primarily glass from the truck with a window mount, or on a tripod sitting or standing. Ive had both, prefer angled. The straight one gives me a head ache.

It's what works for me....

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Sobrbiker

WKR
I prefer straight. The ability to transition from what I’m seeing in scope to viewing it with naked eye or binos is much better for me.

Depends on the angle of the vast majority of your spotting. If you do a lot of steep upward glassing, the angled might be the way to go. As others have stated, you will have to deal with rain and snow. If you are predominantly glassing slightly uphill, level or downhill, I would suggest a straight eyepiece.
Ultimately, you should try both, if at all possible, to see what works best for you.

cbeard64

WKR
There’s advantages and disadvantages to both. I have a straight and love it but in some situations I wish I had an angled - usually for sitting looking uphill.

tdot

WKR
I started with an angled scope, as that seemed to be the most popular suggestion on the interweb, and I had no personal bias or opinion at that point. While using it there often seemed like there were times that a straight would be better. So when it was time to upgrade, I bought a straight. Wasted alot of time trying to get used to it, in the end I decided that while there were a couple of times when a straight was marginally beneficial for me, I much prefer the angled scopes.

I don't know if I would have had the reverse experience if I'd started with a straight, but I don't think I would have.

OP
S
If you glass from a tripod with binos (if not you should) It’s a two second swap, from binoculars to straight bodied spotter, or said spotter to binos... no adjustments of tripod, stay on target.

For this reason alone, i will never understand how anyone runs angled spotters. But... to each their own.

I glass with buddies that take 1-2 minutes going back and forth, or they forgo using a tripod to glass with binos. Either way, major mistake in my opinion.

This was my thinking but just wasn’t sure if I was missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that having an angled scope has limited my use in a handful of situations. When it comes time to finally upgrade I will definitely go with the straight one.

Bighorner

WKR
It's probably been mentioned, but an angled spotting scope on a window mount is a huge pain.

Firehawk

WKR
I much prefer a straight spotter. That said, I am trying an angled Maven CS.1 right now because that is the only configuration that they offer so far. I like it, but it has been difficult to get accustomed to using it vs a straight.

I get on target much quicker with the Straight spotter and as another member posted, it is a quicker change from my bino to spotter and back.

Have fun and good luck deciding.

It's probably been mentioned, but an angled spotting scope on a window mount is a huge pain.
Seems like if the angle were rotated horizontal, it could be an advantage (i.e., you wouldn't have to 'get behind the scope' while sitting in the seat).

I'm new to scope ownership, but in the short time I've had my straight scope, the ability to quickly pop up out of the eyepiece and sight down the top of it to line things up has been very useful in getting the subject in the view.

Bighorner

WKR
That's exactly it. It is handy to rotate the eye piece so that is more comfortable, but once you find something it takes five minutes to figure out where the heck you were really looking in the first place. With a straight spotter you its alot more natural, for me anyway.