Angled vs straight

Firebug93

FNG
After many hours of researching angled vs straight spotting scopes, I purchased an angled vortex razor spotter. After messing around with it I feel as though an angled scope with the rotating collar is very versatile and the tripod height needs a lot less up and down. Anyone else feel as though the angled scope is better then a straight as long as it can rotate?

ericF

WKR
You will find that is the general consensus around here. The only place where a straight scope beats the angled is from a window mount.

Adamsfj

Lil-Rokslider
I too went from a straight to an angled and have been very happy with the angled

Changing back and forth from binoculars on my tripod to having a closer look w/ spotting scope I really like the straight body...no adjustments, no shifting around, takes only seconds.....and for that reason alone I don’t think I could go back to angled.

But I sure miss the angled body on those long spotting scope sessions....

work765

WKR
I run my spotter and binos on the same tripod. It’s more natural for me to have a straight spotter. I hate constantly making adjustments on my tripod and sitting position etc. I had a angled spotter and traded it for a straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Straight makes more sense in a 65mm, easier to fit in pack and better on window mount.
For 80mm plus I would go angled.

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
I still think the angled would be more comfortable on a window mount when rotated.

My last two spotters were straight, my new one is angled. The other guys I hunt with use angled. The one thing I didn't like was the constant adjustment to my tripod as I tried to glass with it. I will be interested to get some seat time behind the angled scope. It was pretty easy to find my target when switching from binos to scope with the straight.

skierhs

WKR
I really prefer my angled spotting scope. I find it is more versatile and easier on my neck when glassing from all angles. I also just raise the center column of my tripod two inches and it’s in perfect placement for my binos.

Glad I found this thread as I'm looking at a straight right now for myself.

My few thoughts on why I think I'd prefer straight.

I do rifle competitions and anytime I have ever been stuck spotting hits with an angled I did not like it one bit. I am always much more comfortable behind a pair of binos so I feel like the straight would be more natural.

To the comment of moving around more with the straight....I would think I would mostly use it to get a better look at something I am picking up already with my binos. With not much experience i could also be wrong here.

One person said you would be able to use a smaller/lighter tripod with straight. For me personally this is a non issue. I use an RRS tripod that is also my rifle rest. Yes it may be heavy but with that i dont have to have a bipod on my rifle and I dont do any photography like many others so I look at is as kind of a trade off. Where someone is taking a light tripod but also cameras, batteries, etc I have all that weight in one rock solid tripod.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
I will throw my 2 cents in. My spotter is straight, I have used both but prefer the straight. When sitting on a hill side with the tripod below you, it is easier to adjust the tripod to look through the scope. The angled you either have to bend your neck down or turn the scope so you are looking away from your target. I also use it in my pickup and find it much easier to look trough than an angled. But as with all things this is just what I am use to and also just my own opinion.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
I spent a lot of time reading about the pro's and con's of straight vs angled and it's the same conversation as ford vs chevy. There are plus's and minus's to each and it just boils down to personal preference. I ended up with a mark4 so it made things easy cus there's no choice, straight it is. Keep in mind that most top notch venders on this site have a return policy, worse case get the one you want and if you hate it ask to exchange for the other. Good luck, you'll drive yourself nuts reading about it, trust me!

Blue72

WKR
Changing back and forth from binoculars on my tripod to having a closer look w/ spotting scope I really like the straight body...no adjustments, no shifting around, takes only seconds.....and for that reason alone I don’t think I could go back to angled.

This!

Plus a straight spotter is easier to aim, try doing natural point of aim with an angled scope!

Plus a straight spotter is easier to aim, try doing natural point of aim with an angled scope!

After just buying and using my first angled spotter after only every using a straight spotter, this is definitely my least favorite part.

I like that I can run my tripod lower, and I don't mind tipping my head down while glassing, but finding what I'm looking for is definitely a challenge!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Straight fan here also because of the swap between binos and I don’t glass long term on my spotter. If I was heavily a spotter glassing guy maybe I would learn angled but in the moment when scouting deer I found the shuffle from binos to angled frustrating and straight was straightforward (pun intended).

But yes ford/Chevy as noted above.

CP6

FNG
I have an angled and a straight right now; the straight is a Vortex Razor, angled is a Viper. Plus and minus on both; I’m selling both and going to a Swarovski or that new Zeiss. Probably getting an angled and here is why; window mount and on the range, I like a straight. For glassing, I’m seldom using a spotter to judge an animal. I use them to pick apart terrain and glass where my 15x can’t go. For that reason, the angled makes more sense to me because I can sit or lie prone on a variety of terrain as well as maintain a low profile from my glassing position. I also like to be able to use a lower tripod setting which keeps the wind from blowing it around. That’s my two cents and like I said; that’s just my opinion and what I’ve found best works for my application.

excaliber

WKR
Spotting downhill the straight spotter has a huge advantage. From the truck the straight spotter is much easier to use. I see no advantage to an angled spotter. Target acquisition is much faster and easier through a straight spotter which is the key to me..