Angled vs straight

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
I use both. Swaro angled is awesome off the valley floor. Kowa 554 is the bomb once you are scuttling around the tops. Each has its use.

After many hours of researching angled vs straight spotting scopes, I purchased an angled vortex razor spotter. After messing around with it I feel as though an angled scope with the rotating collar is very versatile and the tripod height needs a lot less up and down. Anyone else feel as though the angled scope is better then a straight as long as it can rotate?

No, I absolutely hate angled ocular lens spotting scope designs. I'm a straight barrel spotting scope kinda guy. For me, they're faster to deploy. But, that's me. Call me weird and outdated (lol).

gjhall

FNG
I am ready to buy my first spotting scope. For Arizona mule deer what are your thoughts on spotting scope magnifications? Would you recommend a variable or fixed magnification? What diameter lens do you think is logical without making the scope too heavy to pack? A really good friend recommended the Diamondback 20-60 x 60. Any thoughts? I already decided on angled because of everyone's input here.

jrfred

FNG
Classified Approved
I am ready to buy my first spotting scope. For Arizona mule deer what are your thoughts on spotting scope magnifications? Would you recommend a variable or fixed magnification? What diameter lens do you think is logical without making the scope too heavy to pack? A really good friend recommended the Diamondback 20-60 x 60. Any thoughts? I already decided on angled because of everyone's input here.
60X is more than enough magnification. Seems like most offerings are variable, and the 60mm objective lens seems to be the smallest from many mfgrs and the lightest if you're weight conscious but if you're young and strong many guys carry an 85mm as you'll appreciate the light gathering and field of view. That BTX fixed ocular bino lens from Swarovski looks like it would be comfortable on your eyes for long sessions but it's a heavy sucker and $$$.