Animal/Elk behavior in cold weather

TheCougar

WKR
I’ll be hunting the Montana elk and deer opener this weekend, which is supposed to be wicked cold (or at least it is for me). A front is pushing through and supposed to drop temps to -10 for the first couple of days. This is my second rifle elk/deer tag, but my first late season general tag. I have hunted late season once before, but it was a NM draw unit which is very different than Montana general.

How does the cold weather affect deer and elk behavior? I’m assuming they will favor sunny slopes and stay out longer to warm up? Any other nuggets of wisdom from those of you who have experience hunting in similar conditions?

If it's too windy they'll bed. Otherwise they need more food to keep up with the calories their bodies burn. Good luck hanging in there long enough to find animals. It gets cold REAL fast if the wind picks up in those temps.

I bought a cow rifle LO tag several years back and hunted near Chama NM in December. It was minus 5. The herd was pawing snow and acting like they would otherwise. Didn’t have to worry about meat spoilage, but did have to work fast to prevent meat from freezing solid.

Generally speaking, if there isn't a lot of snow to move elk /deer out of the higher country, then they will be bedded in areas that provide cover. Glass areas that you can and hunt into them taking extra time to get the wind right and stop frequently to glass ahead of you into the thick stuff. Keep in mind that most will be bedded with their backs to the wind and pointed downhill, so they can exit quickly. Yes, they can be on the southern slopes but don't expect them to be in the open areas unless they have good browse and some sanctuary there. Take extra time when hiking in to keep from sweatin up. I have gotten chilled down too many times from busting up the mountain and then having to hunker down when getting into animals.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I don’t think it’s supposed to be too windy. Just cold and some snow. I’ll be hunting right at the junction of mountains and private, so hoping the cold temps and snow might push them down through my area. May take a bit longer than I think it will - not sure, as late season hunting and this weather is new to me.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Cold and snow pushes a lot of the cows down to that transition area you’ll be in, if they know the private land is somewhat safe they might stay down there for the storm. Sure there’s always a chance some bulls will be with them. Snows not deep enough to push everything down but that could change momentarily. Other than that it’s early enough and not unusual weather so the elk haven’t changed behavior much.

jmez

WKR
Snow will push them. They don't much care about cold.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Will elk still be vocal? I’ve got my calls with me. I plan on glassing, but if they will bugle I’ll play along...