Anise and vanilla extract

First year trying to target a black bear. I’ve heard great things about anise extract can bring them in.

but I also don’t want to scare the deer because I have tags for those to.

I have heard vanilla extract works for both??
Any truth to these

deer are curious and they will check anything. in my areas they circle downwind and approach cautiously like most game but ive never seen them spook and run away.ive had deer snort up a storm but calm down and then approach anyway.i also get deer on my bear trail cams. i have a 5 gallon container in my basement i just add vanilla,cherry,almond and anise extract, sometimes peppermint, along with some vegetable oil and water. i have like 8 spray bottles i re-fill from that big container. i purchase those extracts when i can get them on sale or bulk cheaper.i dont have any recipe. i just add whatever i buy and top off. let it sit all year stewin. worst case you try it and learned something. i remember years back one of the big deer lures used anise in it. it was suppose to be a secret formula lol...

Elkhntr08

WKR
Doesn’t matter.
Are you using it as just an attractant or as part of the bait? If only using attracting scents, I’d do a honey burn. Will disperse the scent farther.

Michael54

WKR
Those are my two favorites to use for my rabbit traps. Never tried them for bear

Elkhntr08

WKR
You basically heat honey until it smokes.
I’ve got a bigger metal can that I drop a can of sterno in, holes above it that I slide 2 welding rods through, then set a soup can with honey in it on top. It’ll start smoking and carry down wind for a long ways.
Even use this when I start a bait site.

TheGDog

WKR
Very interesting. And when you're done, it's not a edible thing, since it's been heated until burns and smokes. Very interesting. I wonder if also you can add a small amount of bacon grease to that process as well?

Do I presume then... that the user must have this running in close proximity to themselves? In other words, it can't be set on fire... then left over there yards and yards away on a trail line you want to watch, right?

amassi

WKR
Very interesting. And when you're done, it's not a edible thing, since it's been heated until burns and smokes. Very interesting. I wonder if also you can add a small amount of bacon grease to that process as well?

Do I presume then... that the user must have this running in close proximity to themselves? In other words, it can't be set on fire... then left over there yards and yards away on a trail line you want to watch, right?
I wouldn't attempt this in Ca
I believe it would meet the standard for "bait"

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
You basically heat honey until it smokes.
I’ve got a bigger metal can that I drop a can of sterno in, holes above it that I slide 2 welding rods through, then set a soup can with honey in it on top. It’ll start smoking and carry down wind for a long ways.
Even use this when I start a bait site.
Any particular reason for it to be welding rod? Other than just that being your way of knowing the metal rods should be of sufficient toughness not to melt?

TheGDog

WKR
I wouldn't attempt this in Ca
I believe it would meet the standard for "bait"

As long as they can't ingest it in any form. As long as they can't lick it off something else. Or can't eat dirt that the stuff has fallen upon. Then you should be ok. However, since this starts off a food product you initially have in your hands to begin with... I have to imagine somehow or another CA would find a way to be pissed about it.

amassi

WKR
As long as they can't ingest it in any form. As long as they can't lick it off something else. Or can't eat dirt that the stuff has fallen upon. Then you should be ok. However, since this starts off a food product you initially have in your hands to begin with... I have to imagine somehow or another CA would find a way to be pissed about it.
Honey is edible

TheGDog

WKR
Honey is edible

Yes, yes it is. And... you are free to take some Honey with you in your lunch for the day. One does not necessarily equate to the other.

I do get what you're saying though.

Hrmm.. they also have those Buck/Bear Bombs. Those Aerosol containers.

Hey @Opah , didn't you check with the rangers about whether or not those Bear Bombs where considered baiting or not?

Rob5589

WKR
According to CAFW, air dispersed attractants are fine. Anything you place on a rock, log, ground, etc, is a no go. The honey burn sounds like it would be a gray area; it is an attractant being dispersed in the air yet the container contains something edible.

If you've already cleared this with your state's wildlife agency, then kudos.

If you have not already done so, call your state's Game and Fish department and ask. Document everything if they say it is legal; this includes the exact page(s) in the hunting regulations. This way you have better standing in court in the event a game warden busts your for baiting. It'd suck to have your only defense be "Your honor, I was told by user ABC on Rokslide that it was legal".

According to CAFW, air dispersed attractants are fine. Anything you place on a rock, log, ground, etc, is a no go. The honey burn sounds like it would be a gray area; it is an attractant being dispersed in the air yet the container contains something edible.
This is in jest:

Bring a small pan, a jet boil, and some bacon. At least this way you have a plausible defense that the cooked bacon is for you. Just pack out the grease once done so you can still hunt the area.