Anise and vanilla extract

Elkhntr08

WKR
Anise and vanilla are both edible and stay that way when you spray them on objects. A honey burn is smoke.
I used welding rods because it’s what I had and they’ll take the heat. Any rod will work.

Opah

WKR
I believe the anything that attracts with the promise of food it is illegal.
Buckbombs and such are mating attractants not food.
if it has the scent of food itis a nono in california

amassi

WKR
For the California guys
Here is the code verbatim from the 2020 big game manual

§257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.

Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.

(a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal

Key phrase would be "feed whatsoever "

You also cant shoot a bear within 400 yards of a dump
6d17f24a2196d56fcc085002b96f400e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
A scent floating in the air doesn't meet their definition. This is from the F&W 2010;

Question: I know you can’t bait bears but can I use any scents (liquids or sprays)?

Answer: Yes, you can use scent attractants when taking bears, but use extreme caution in your selection and use of a scent product. Under some circumstances and depending on the nature of the product you use, it could be classified as bait. Aerosols sprayed into the air and not onto any solid surface are probably the safest types to consider.

According to Department of Fish and Game (DFG) retired Capt. Phil Nelms, using any substance that can be seen or felt and not just smelled (e.g. liquids that do not immediately evaporate, scented pastes or gels, even aerosols sprayed onto trees or leaves) may be sufficient reason to classify them as “feed” because they can be eaten or can entice the animal to consume the surface on which the scent is deposited.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You basically heat honey until it smokes.
I’ve got a bigger metal can that I drop a can of sterno in, holes above it that I slide 2 welding rods through, then set a soup can with honey in it on top. It’ll start smoking and carry down wind for a long ways.
Even use this when I start a bait site.

It's been YEARS since I've done anything like that but this is EXACTLY what me and my dad used to do. Works like a charm. We even used a small camping stove with the honey in a coffee can before, same end result.

Zane503

FNG
How exactly does this work.... you are burning the honey and obviously for safety reasons you need to be very close to the stove/honey. The wind is carrying the scent of the honey but also your scent as well in the same direction. Does the honey smell override your human smell? I feel like im missing something here, please clue me in.

Very interesting. And when you're done, it's not a edible thing, since it's been heated until burns and smokes. Very interesting. I wonder if also you can add a small amount of bacon grease to that process as well?

Do I presume then... that the user must have this running in close proximity to themselves? In other words, it can't be set on fire... then left over there yards and yards away on a trail line you want to watch, right?
I think you might have cracked the code!....interested to see how it works out

Yes, yes it is. And... you are free to take some Honey with you in your lunch for the day. One does not necessarily equate to the other.

I do get what you're saying though.

Hrmm.. they also have those Buck/Bear Bombs. Those Aerosol containers.

Hey @Opah , didn't you check with the rangers about whether or not those Bear Bombs where considered baiting or not?
Ive used the bear bombs several times. They smell amazing so I think they should work but I've seen zero Bears whilst using them

TheGDog

WKR
Ive used the bear bombs several times. They smell amazing so I think they should work but I've seen zero Bears whilst using them
Thank you for that user input! Sounds like now ya just need to find the right area where you're there and they are there at the same time.

TheGDog

WKR
What is most eaten by Black Bears out west right now at this particular time of the year?

For me, I'm asking this question in terms of SoCal. But would also be interested to hear what they eat elsewhere

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Bears being omnivorous eat both plants and meat. fish, berries, wild fruits. Pretty much anything.

TheGDog

WKR
Bears being omnivorous eat both plants and meat. fish, berries, wild fruits. Pretty much anything.
Right. My question was more geared towards specifics though. Like, I know around here I know at end of Summer it's the Choke Cherries they are fiending for. Because they're delicious, though have very little flesh in each one.

I've been told that they also really like to scarf down the Acorns when they are Green when they first fall. Which would be around now.

But I'm curious about the lesser known things around here which they might also eat. I'm sure there are fauna that each have their certain times of the year in which the bear favor that particular thing because it'd be more plentiful during a certain time of the year. So I'm just asking what are the other things.... besides the easy ones we all know about... like Acorns and "berries" (presuming here you mean vine berries like Raspberry) and choke cherries?

Right. My question was more geared towards specifics though. Like, I know around here I know at end of Summer it's the Choke Cherries they are fiending for. Because they're delicious, though have very little flesh in each one.

I've been told that they also really like to scarf down the Acorns when they are Green when they first fall. Which would be around now.

But I'm curious about the lesser known things around here which they might also eat. I'm sure there are fauna that each have their certain times of the year in which the bear favor that particular thing because it'd be more plentiful during a certain time of the year. So I'm just asking what are the other things.... besides the easy ones we all know about... like Acorns and "berries" (presuming here you mean vine berries like Raspberry) and choke cherries?

I noticed up in the sierras (D-5/D6) that it seems they eat pine nuts . I was seeing clearly chewed up pine cones in big piles of bear scat. Elevation of about 6500-8000 ft. This was back in mid October. Didn’t see a single bear tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
So I put of both anise and vanilla. The bear came both times just after shooting time. When I had walked out.

Attachments

• 19F54F21-ED82-4315-B8B4-C0A9B2A22EC1.jpeg
    19F54F21-ED82-4315-B8B4-C0A9B2A22EC1.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 15
Yes both of those can be good attractants. Another one that is very underrated and used a lot in the midwest is beaver castor. EVERYTHING seems to be interested in beaver castor for some reason (well.....because everything loves eating beaver). Happy hunting! furfishngame