Anker Portable Chargers

I've had multiple Anker chargers and they are going to be the better ones out there. Used a 20k MH for a 6 day backcountry trip to charge my phone for texting and OnX and had 25% left when I got back to truck.

Tested my new Anker Powercore 10000 today. It has Qualcomm 3 fast charging capability. My S7 reported "fast charging".

Put the little Drok USB multimeter on it and get up to 14 watts charging, depending on the device. That's an excellent charge rate and far better than my 5 year old Anker 10000, which can push about 6 watts.

I noticed that Anker makes a 20k that weighs 12 oz and is a nice bright orange. Nice color to keep you from losing it.

NOTE: Cables make a Uuuuuuge difference. Here are two different cables on the same charger. The little skinny offbrand puts out 2.5 watts. Same charger and phone put out 10-14 watts with the thick white Samsung cable that comes in the box with the phone.

20200307_150400.jpg20200307_150441.jpg

Last edited:

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
So I saw a comment from Wapitibob and several others recommending the Anker 20000 as a good portable charger. As with all products I saw a fair number of negative reviews. Charger itself won’t fully recharge, charger won’t fully charge other devices, usb ports quit working etc. Plenty of good reviews too.

In looking at Amazon and the manufacturer’s website I see 4 options. Three versions of the 20000, the Power Core 2, Power Core Speed, and the Power Core Elite. There’s also the Power Core 26800.

Instead of relying on those reviews I’d like to hear some feedback from hunters on here. Which model? Pros and cons of each? Any bad experiences?

One specific question... I see one with dual inputs. Can I recharge these using the IPhone input port from a larger battery with a USB output. In other words use my regular IPhone cord and swap ends so the USB terminal goes to my main power source.

Any other information would be appreciated too. Looking to charge an IPhone, a GPS, and a Garmin Inreach on 2 week hunts.
I used the Anker 20000 with the quick charge feature this past season to maintain the charge in my S9+ and Garmin mini for a solid 7 days without any issues. I was using On X on my phone as navigation and never ran out of power.

mcseal2

WKR
Mine is a 26800 or something close to that. It has worked well for 3 years. It survived Alaska last year and it was wet. I kept it in a gallon ziplock with longer cords running out to charge my I phone and headlamp at night.

The dual inputs let it charge pretty fast with a couple 21W solar panels plugged in. It will fully charge in a day of decent sun.

Assuming there is a sufficient amount of sunlight how long does it take to recharge your battery pack with that solar panel?

Sorry just saw this. I'm not sure but it's surprisingly fast. I've plugged my phone directly into it as well as my LED lanterns. Usually when I leave the battery block on it we go out for a hunt and the block is always fully charged when we get back.

Sorry just saw this. I'm not sure but it's surprisingly fast. I've plugged my phone directly into it as well as my LED lanterns. Usually when I leave the battery block on it we go out for a hunt and the block is always fully charged when we get back.

You can get about 15 watts per pound of solar panel. That will charge a Galaxy S7 in about 80 minutes.

So I saw a comment from Wapitibob and several others recommending the Anker 20000 as a good portable charger. As with all products I saw a fair number of negative reviews. Charger itself won’t fully recharge, charger won’t fully charge other devices, usb ports quit working etc. Plenty of good reviews too.

In looking at Amazon and the manufacturer’s website I see 4 options. Three versions of the 20000, the Power Core 2, Power Core Speed, and the Power Core Elite. There’s also the Power Core 26800.

Instead of relying on those reviews I’d like to hear some feedback from hunters on here. Which model? Pros and cons of each? Any bad experiences?

One specific question... I see one with dual inputs. Can I recharge these using the IPhone input port from a larger battery with a USB output. In other words use my regular IPhone cord and swap ends so the USB terminal goes to my main power source.

Any other information would be appreciated too. Looking to charge an IPhone, a GPS, and a Garmin Inreach on 2 week hunts.

I ordered the Anker PowerCore 20100mAh over 3 years ago. Still works and holds a decent charge. No complaints... yet. I use it often but longest duration was for a week long back packing trip with minimal charging... Unsure on charging ability for two weeks. Would recommend putting in a sleeping bag or insulate it in colder temperatures to help preserve battery.

Would recommend putting in a sleeping bag or insulate it in colder temperatures to help preserve battery.

Good point. Your battery can get cold and not lose capacity, but only if you heat it up before you use it. Cold Li Ion batteries have higher internal resistance, so some of the energy is used to overcome flow restrictions inside the battery. The colder your battery is during use, the more energy is used to overcome this internal resistance. Thankfully warming up the battery lowers internal resistance and restores/optimizes capacity. As expected, cold temperatures reduce self-discharge of batteries, but if you don't warm them up before use, you lose that extra capacity and more.

WKR
I had a problem with a 20k model, it would simply work inconsistently. I thought it was completely dead, lived on the edge and barely made it through my trip, then plugged it in again when I got to the truck, and it worked again... Not sure why. I was keeping everything warm (I thought) and definitely dry. It's been a bit inconsistent since then so it doesn't get taken into the backcountry.

Another one, the PD version (high output?) has worked flawlessly and charges my phone very fast. For this reason, I definitely like the multiple chargers vs one larger charger strategy.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had two Anker 10000 chargers for three years. I use them all the time, not just in the woods. Absolutely no complaints. I’d buy again with no hesitation.

I had a problem with a 20k model, it would simply work inconsistently. I thought it was completely dead, lived on the edge and barely made it through my trip, then plugged it in again when I got to the truck, and it worked again... Not sure why. I was keeping everything warm (I thought) and definitely dry. It's been a bit inconsistent since then so it doesn't get taken into the backcountry.

Another one, the PD version (high output?) has worked flawlessly and charges my phone very fast. For this reason, I definitely like the multiple chargers vs one larger charger strategy.

Keep in mind that the cords make a huge difference in charge capacity. You can seen an example I tested/posted with photos further up on this page.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Anker Quick Charge 3.0 PowerCore 20,000 mAh last season. It worked flawlessly. The quick charge feature was great. I was using On X on my phone for navigation and used the phone for communication as well. I also utilized my Garmin MIni on limited basis. Never ran out of power. Highly recommend The Anker power source.

I have the Power Core 26800 and it's been working great the past year. I use it to charge my Inreach, IPhone and camera while out hunting. No issues at all and since my longest hunts each year are about 14 days, it has easily lasted that long. On shorter hunts, the NewTrent 10000 I have is lighter and it's been sufficient. I was really surprised how cheap I was able to get the Anker for on Amazon.