Anker Portable Chargers

So I saw a comment from Wapitibob and several others recommending the Anker 20000 as a good portable charger. As with all products I saw a fair number of negative reviews. Charger itself won’t fully recharge, charger won’t fully charge other devices, usb ports quit working etc. Plenty of good reviews too.

In looking at Amazon and the manufacturer’s website I see 4 options. Three versions of the 20000, the Power Core 2, Power Core Speed, and the Power Core Elite. There’s also the Power Core 26800.

Instead of relying on those reviews I’d like to hear some feedback from hunters on here. Which model? Pros and cons of each? Any bad experiences?

One specific question... I see one with dual inputs. Can I recharge these using the IPhone input port from a larger battery with a USB output. In other words use my regular IPhone cord and swap ends so the USB terminal goes to my main power source.

Any other information would be appreciated too. Looking to charge an IPhone, a GPS, and a Garmin Inreach on 2 week hunts.

OP
Indian Summer
And then there’s the 20100. Too many options. And why does the 26800 not have as good of reviews as the 20000???

OP
Indian Summer
Just buy one, it's not rocket science. Anker is solid and they charge your sh*t.

RavPower is another brand that has good reviews.
Thanks a million for your informative reply. Perhaps you don’t know the differences in which case you could have just scrolled on by.

When you’re flying or hiking into remote places weight versus function is important. And these forums.... they are for questions and sharing information. I hope you don’t build rockets! ;)

Anker makes the most reliable chargers. Don’t hesitate. I’d buy the lightest model that has enough juice for your needs.

NDGuy

WKR
When you’re flying or hiking into remote places weight versus function is important.
You are overthinking it.

If weight is the most important thing to you then get the lightest unit that fits your charging need.

I own this one and it works flawlessly, can charge my phone 7-8 times before dying., it has 3 ports.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
If weight is the most important thing to you then get the lightest unit that fits your charging need.
I own this one and it works flawlessly, can charge my phone 7-8 times before dying., it has 3 ports.

I agree, you are overthinking this. Happens to all of us this time of year when we are stuck in the house!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisAU

WKR
RavPower has performed wonderfully for me the last few years. No issues with 3 of them. They are used constantly.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
We currently own three ankers, they have all been great. The oldest one we have is about four years old. With pretty heavy use it is just starting to not charge as well, but that will happen with any battery over time. For the price, and weight I really don't think you will be disappointed in Anker.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oakave

FNG
I took 2 out west last year. Cant remember the number of the model but know that they are Anker. I was able to charge my phone for 10 days with them. Relatively cheap too!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I remember a podcast with Snyder where he said Anker is an appropriate name because that's what they turn in to when they quit charging lol. I think you could close your eyes and pick any of the Amazon chargers and be fine. Just figure out what your energy needs are and adjust accordingly. I've been using a Dark Energy charger for years, no issues with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
My Anker Powercore 10000 has been awesome for the last 3 years and still working great. Charges my Iphone over and over again, probably last a week. Just keep them in a dry bag, as they are not water resistant. For $30 i will keep buying the Anker over the Dark Energy.

Just a thought but would Qty (2) 10K (@ 6.3oz) packs be a better option then (1) 20K? Redundant and can take one for shorter trips (multiuse)?

Austink47

WKR
We have 3, whatever model is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. They have worked great. The one I primarily use is about 4 years old and is starting to hold less juice.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I use the RavPower USB C 10000mAh. I have a usbc charging Android and it works very well. I charge my phone and inreach mini on it. Plenty of power for 5 days to a week, as long as you aren't playing games.

Typants

FNG
I have a couple Ankers. Which one to buy depends on how long you will be in the field and how much you use electronics that need recharging. Also weight is something to consider. External batteries aren't light so if weight is an issue, finding the balance between one that gives you enough charges for the time you're out vs size/weight is key. I've never had any issues with mine charging, and have found them more reliable than other brands. Good luck.

wapitibob

WKR
My Anker is 4-5 years old and still works fine. Snyder has commented in the past that they can "just quit" but mine has been fine. For charging, there are 2 outlet ports with a max output per single and a max when 2 devices are connected. I've charged a Garmin Montana, LG G3 phone, iPhone 5, and currently an iPhone 10r from this Anker. Not sure of the mah rating but it's over 20,000. I just use the standard phone charge cord, usb on end and mini or lightning on the other for charging the phone. For charging the batter pack, it will come with a charge cord, usb one end and mini usb on the other. If you have a car charger cord with the cigarette plug on one end and mini usb on the other, it'll charge the batter pack from the pickup or your trailer accessory port. The new Anker has 2 ports for charging as you mentioned and you would need two charge cords to take advantage, either charging from the wall outlet, or two accessory ports in a vehicle or trailer.
You can also find really small charge packs, half the size of a cigarettes pack that will be in the 2500-3000 range and will do 1 charge on an iphone for truck camping where you're out just for the day and might top off if doing lots of tracks.

Last edited: