Annealing Cases

What is the best no-bs way to consistently anneal cases? Ive heard of guys just using propane torches for this. Can somebody give me the rundown on it? Its time I start doing it.

gbflyer

WKR
I use a torch. I find a deep socket the case fits in about right and spin it with a cordless drill. I direct the feather slightly above the case body/shoulder junction. Don’t heat the case body. When it turns buttery colored up there and begins to go sort of purple I remove from heat and put it in a coffee can.

It’s quick and easy. I’ve never ruined a case doing it. I have intentionally heated them red hot to see what happens which is too hot. After they cool you can pinch the neck shut with thumb and forefinger. Certainly wouldn’t want that,especially near the base.

I wouldn’t make a good salesman for the $500+ annealing machines. Maybe I’ll get a surprise some day. Use my red neck method at your own peril.

OP
lyle_destroys
I use a torch. I find a deep socket the case fits in about right and spin it with a cordless drill. I direct the feather slightly above the case body/shoulder junction. Don’t heat the case body. When it turns buttery colored up there and begins to go sort of purple I remove from heat and put it in a coffee can.

It’s quick and easy. I’ve never ruined a case doing it. I have intentionally heated them red hot to see what happens which is too hot. After they cool you can pinch the neck shut with thumb and forefinger. Certainly wouldn’t want that,especially near the base.

I wouldn’t make a good salesman for the $500+ annealing machines. Maybe I’ll get a surprise some day. Use my red neck method at your own peril.
Is that coffee can filled with water?

tdhanses

WKR
I use a candle and hold the case about half way down, slowly rotate the neck at the edge of the flame till it gets hot at your finger tips holding the case, dip in water and start next one.

You don’t want to over heat the case and this way is very consistent and keeps you from overheating.

To properly anneal brass, various machines that use flame or in some cases induction heat to upwards of 800 degrees are utilized. These machines are expensive, like $600 to over $1000.

I have been reloading for 40 years, both hunting rifles and competition long range rifles. For my competition rifle caliber (260 Remington) I anneal my brass every other reloading in a effort to provide consistent case neck tension on the bullet. These rifle are ultra accurate, like 1/4 groups at 100 yards with very heavy barrels. For this type of shooting annealing provides a tiny amount of additional accuracy.

For my hunting rifles that utilize lighter barrels, and really don't require, or can obtain ultra accuracy, I don't anneal the brass. When the brass gets old and maybe the primer pockets get loose or the necks crack, I simply purchase new brass. Realistically its cheaper for the accuracy required or achievable from hunting rifles and calibers.

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps.