(Another) 280AI Western Hunting Rifle Build (prefit)

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone likes when their buddy gets a new gun...even more so when he is building. This will be my first prefit build. Hoping the collective can provide some feedback and I will provide updates along the way through first hunt fall of 2023.

So far, this is where I am leaning:

280 Ackley Improved
Terminus Kratos Lite Action
Triggertech Diamond
Manner's Long Range Hunter Stock

I just ordered a Carbonsix barrel for it as the first part, as it seems to be the longest lead time. 24" Featherweight in 1:8" Twist.

Will also be working to accumulate ammo over the net 4 months. I live in the CO mtns....so it will be for mule deer, elk and pronghorn primarily. Some goat, sheep, etc. here and there. Expensive items are obviously the action, barrel, scope and stock.

I could definitely cut some weight with a lighter stock, but thinking the additional options are worth the extra half pound and the other half pound from a Ti action is costly.

Any thoughts on the Trijicon 3-18x44 FFP Tenmile HX on this build? Other scope suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
G

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Found a good deal through Sportsman's Warehouse for the Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18x44 First Focal Plane. $1350 with free shipping.

Seems like a good deal and the scope has received great reviews....so I pulled the trigger on it. Nice thing about the scope....while I am planning on putting a custom turret on it for my primary hunting load, it will be nice to have to have the option of the MOA reticle for ammo and bullet weight flexibility. This will be my first FFP scope.

I also had a chance to talk with Terminus and they are down to 8 to 12 week lead times.

Ideally, I think I would like to cut some weight off the build....I just don't know where outside of a super minimal stock. I always hunt with a pack....so I guess I will have to find a nice quick release system and carry it on my pack more.

Last edited:

ID_Matt

WKR
I think you will have a bomb proof set up there. Very good choices. The only thing I would change - and it's personal opinion is a shorter barrel. But if you plan to just run a bare muzzle or a brake then 24" is good. Over time I have gone to shorter barrels - 20 or 22" and suppressed.

As for the trijicon. I have the same scope in mil and love it. They get good reviews on here and did well on Form's test. I don't really believe in custom turrets unless you don't plan on shooting too far. Lots of ammo change, altitude changes, etc. can make a yardage specific turret frustrating vs just using a dope chart or ballistic calculator.

OP
G

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I was worried about losing to much velocity by going to shorter barrel. My thought process was that in the elk woods, I would carry it with just a thread protector. In the sage flats for deer and lope, it won't matter as much if I throw a can on.

I hear you on the turret...and kind of same thought process....I would like run the turret in the elk woods with my elk load when not shooting much past 500 and need to be quicker. In the sage I will run the MOA turret and use charts.

The reality is....I am a MUCH MUCH bigger elk archery hunter then rifle. However, good tags are only getting harder and harder to get and my boy just turned 7, so I want to get him out on some easier hunts.