Another 308 vs 7mm Rem Mag Thread

Sevens

WKR
I've done a bunch of research through the forums on this, and still find myself going back and forth on these two cartridges. At the end of the day, seems like I'm just overthinking it and the real world difference between these wont be noticeable for me (or the majority of individuals for that matter).

For purpose of argument, rifles are identical sans action length and barrel length. Only variations will come from the inherent weight differences because of those items.

The advantage of the 308 is the compact package (20" barrel, short action) and mild recoil, but comes at the price of a shorter effective range. The 7mm Rem Mag has the advantage in ballistics/wind drift, but comes at the price of increased recoil, overall rifle length (long action, 24" barrel), and cost of ammo.

Part of me leans towards the 308 as I like how compact it is and the cheap ammo costs means I should be able to afford to shoot more (and by extension, be more proficient). The other part of me gets concerned that the shorter effective range of the 308 would handicap me on western hunts (seems like everyone shoots elk and mule deer at 500-600 yards now a days... at least on YouTube). Should I favor the 7mm Rem Mag and devote my time to practicing with that cartridge to be able to capitalize on the longer effective range? Is the perceived benefit of the 7mm just in my head and the 308 is really all I need?

How far are your shots. If you are never going to shoot more than a couple hundred yard due to terrain and cover, then there may not be a point to the 7mm.

WRM

WKR
I'll throw in a curve--280AI. Surged in recent times with factory rifles. 7mm performance capable with less powder and recoil. Kimber has chambered it for years. Sadly, their prices have gone up pretty sharply.

I believe it was Jack O'Connor that said we (meaning most any hunter) didn't really have any business shooting at about more than 200 yards, so there's that. I know dialing and whatnot is all the rage, but getting close is still a viable tactic.

Plenty o stuff gets laid low with the .308.

OP
S

Sevens

WKR
How far are your shots. If you are never going to shoot more than a couple hundred yard due to terrain and cover, then there may not be a point to the 7mm.
It will vary, honestly. I’m really trying to focus on being proficient with one rifle, despite owning many (including the two under discussion).

I hunt all over, range could be really short in a deer blind or much further for pronghorn, mule deer and such.

Last edited:
a factor to consider is ammo availability, as 308 win is a NATO cartridge and will stay “in production” in times of scarcity. That being said 7RM is a top 10 best seller perennially so take your pick. IMHO the avg hunter in NA can use both in similar situations without noticing much of a difference, and a 308 can be loaded up to near 7RM, and 7RM be loaded down to 308 or loaded up to near 300WM. Go to your local sporting goods store, see which one is more common in loaded ammo and components and go from there.

nobody

WKR
I had a 7 mag for about a year and change. The more I shot it and messed with it, the less I was impressed. I didn't feel I got a proportional increase in performance in relation to the increased recoil, increased powder burning, and decreased barrel life. I sold it and picked up another 6.5 creed and a 308 and couldn't be happier. I'm 100% an unapologetic western big game hunter and don't feel under-gunned by any means on anything from deer to bears to elk and moose. Just learn the ballistics.

Personally, with the advent of modern propellants and projectiles, I don't see any any appreciable improvements with things like the -06, 7 rem mag, 300 win mag, etc. over the middle-of-the-road rounds like the 6.5 creed/PRC, 7mm-08, and 308. To me, that improvement becomes appreciable when you hit something like the 300 PRC. Not saying that I would ever tell somebody their -06 or a 300 WM is a bad choice, it just doesn't do anything for sub 700 yard hunting to me that the 308 and 6.5 creed don't already do. But if you're looking up to pick just one and don't currently own a rifle, I say flip a coin and let 'er rip. But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet.

Picture in your mind an animal of a lifetime standing at 500 yards. It's not really a debate. You know which rifle you want if there is a choice. Why is 300wm off the table? The objective is to take home an animal you want. You already chose rifle over bow, why not take the most effective rifle? I don't understand why people say silly things like "I can take an elk at 600 with a 6.5".

S-3 ranch

WKR
.308 shooter here , 350 meters is its effective hunting range, after that it bleeds energy and range, a higher BC bullet like a 260 Remington, 6.5 PCR might add 50-75 meters of energy, now jump to a 300pcr with a accubond LR , Berger, ect .220-225 grain or any 30 cal mag and that’s a long range elk hunting gun ,
IMO a 400 meter shot or closer is 1000% better and more ethical !!
who the hell comes back to camp and tells everyone I tried a 600-700 shot and blew off a leg and I had a 2 hour hike before dark to go up a mountain and tried to find bone or blood ? Keep those shots ethically possible 👍👍

and quit being worried about ammunition costs, any quality hunting ammunition is $50+ per box , my barns ttsx 165gr are like $60 + shipping, the weaker and smaller the caliber the more expensive the ammunition is needed , I.E .270 or .308 needs better ammunition, 300wm is more forgiving on ammo

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'm really liking my lil .308 Ruger Predator,,,but if I could only have
one - it would be my Rem.700 in .300 Win Mag, loaded to max with
200gr Partitions.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All the arguments pros and cons are mostly personal opinions, but it comes down to performance that you need.

Run the ballistics. Math is math. Wind is your enemy and a 7 mag is clearly superior.

Decide how much precision you are willing to trade for all other factors. If recoil is too much, then choose a short action that has better ballistics than a 308. I would shoot a 6mm creed before a 308 because precision is more important than bullet weight to me.

CoStick

WKR
If you struggle to get close or are concerned about making a bad shot , go magnum. If you are comfortable getting close to game and confident in you marksmanship, shoot a ,308.

Rob5589

WKR
a factor to consider is ammo availability, as 308 win is a NATO cartridge and will stay “in production” in times of scarcity. That being said 7RM is a top 10 best seller perennially so take your pick. IMHO the avg hunter in NA can use both in similar situations without noticing much of a difference, and a 308 can be loaded up to near 7RM, and 7RM be loaded down to 308 or loaded up to near 300WM. Go to your local sporting goods store, see which one is more common in loaded ammo and components and go from there.
What 308 load is getting near a 7RM?

CoStick

WKR
What 308 load is getting near a 7RM?
Not load specific but I shot an elk with a .308 and it dropped in it’s tracks. My buddy shot an elk from the same spot with a 7RM and we did get it, was just a 2 mile tracking job.

If a shot will never be taken past 400 yards then the 308 is the answer. If you want to shoot anything in North America up to and including 1000 yards 7 mag is the answer.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not load specific but I shot an elk with a .308 and it dropped in it’s tracks. My buddy shot an elk from the same spot with a 7RM and we did get it, was just a 2 mile tracking job.
I don’t think that’s a valid sample to draw any conclusions.

It took 4 shots to kill my cow buffalo at 150 yards with a .308.

A buddy shot and killed an elk with my 7 mm at 1000 yards and dropped it with one shot. I have dropped deer and caribou with one shot between 100 and 600 yards. Kid shot a Coues deer at 730 and killed it with one shot. I killed elk at 530 yards with three shots, but that is cause he stood still until he tipped over.