Another AK mid-air collision

I've flown out of that airstrip many times....know it like the back of my hand. My wife has also been in and out of there in a Super Cub. It's on the edge of town and parallels a float pond full of planes. It can be busy at times as there are dozens of wheeled planes and many private hangars. Helicopter traffic happens in and out of there too.

I didn't personally know any of the injured or deceased. I don't (yet) know the real specifics of the wreck, but I'm pretty sure it happened at very low altitude. At higher altitudes 2 planes wouldn't likely be over the actual airstrip simultaneously....colliding....and then crashing onto the airstrip. Human error undoubtedly caused this terrible wreck.

There's a saying in the motorcycle world. "It's not a matter of if you go down; it's a matter of when you go down". I think a lot of pilots operate with a version of that thought in their minds. You do your very best to avoid incidents.... and then one day it just doesn't go right. Hunters who travel by bush plane will seldom hear their pilots talk about the near misses and 'almost bit it' deals that happen.