Another arrow advice build

Hey guys I know this gets brought up a bunch but I just want to make a good decision here. I recently purchased a Vertix 28” draw probably going to be 65 lbs set up for elk season. I need to purchase new arrows since I only have 400 spine now. I’m thinking a 300 spline with 75 insert/outsert and a 125 broadhead cut around 27”. So my question is should I go with an insert or outsert or even a collar to protect the arrow. I plan on getting 5mm or 4 mm axis. Are there outserts that are same diameter as the shaft vs having the taper. How many run a footer with an insert? As far as fletching goes I planned on a 3 fletch blazer with an offset or helix. Again any advice on a better fletching set up feel free to throw it out there. Any and all advice on the arrow build is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Beendare

WKR
This is a heavily debated topic and the only definitive conclusion is that there is no one-size-fits-all consensus.

A lot of guys here use those collar systems. I tried different systems years ago and did not see any significant improvement when it comes to arrow durability and killing game.YMMV

—-

OP
H
How about keeping the ends of the arrow decent, I’ve got a few that look bad and feel like an outset might keep them from getting busted up

Jimbob

WKR
I would stay with a 5mm arrow, easier to get components spinning true and staying that way.

You need to decide how heavy you want your arrow. Do you want to have a high FOC and heavy arrow that shoots slow? or a mid-range weight/foc/and speed arrow?

When I build an arrow I choose what specs I want it to hit then I search for an arrow that will meet those specs in a spine that matches my bow.

You can go for a 300 spine axis with 125 grain head, 75 grain insert and 35 grain collar. This will spine perfect for you, weigh ~550 grains have 17% foc and shot mid to low 240 fps. Do you want that? You can go with lighter collar to save a little weight or you could go with a 300 BE rampage to save more weight as well.

Or go for a 340 Axis with 125 grain head and standard insert. Perfect spine weighs about 435 grains shooting mid to low 270 fps with 12% foc.

Last year I built my axis arrows with brass inserts and a collar and killed a goat, so they worked. BUT I still lost arrows and broke the back of arrows so I didn't like the added cost. This year I am building my arrows just using a 125 grain head and the standard HIT insert. If I had money to burn I would buy the Iron will titanium collar and throw it on there.

Years ago, I had blazers on my arrows and switched to the max stealth and much prefer them. A longer lower profile is what I like.

I’m building a similar arrow for a similar setup. .300, 28” Gold Tip Airstrikes which come with a collar (I think aluminum). I’ll start with that, but may switch to an iron will collar if I think durability is still lacking. Also, i plan to use SS inserts.

I’m using Bohning Heat vanes in 4-fletch with as much helical or offset as I can impart. Heats have lower profile and stiffer (supposedly quieter) material than Blazers, but at the same weight. I’ve shot them in 3-fletch for a couple years with no noticeable POI difference from Blazers out to 50 yards. However, I shoot mechanicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
When it comes to foc I’m not sure how high I should go, I’ve read 11-15%. I’ve also read that some guys go extreme. This is my first arrow build and I’d like to keep it more conventional than extreme foc. Again I’m new to all of this. What’s the general consensus on big heavy arrows or fast lighter arrows. If I can get the exodus full 125 to fly well that’s going to be my choice.

406unltd

WKR
If I had a shorter draw like you I’d find a happy medium with my speed and arrow weight. Broadheads tune well at 260-285ish FPS. That gives you lots of wiggle room to build an arrow you want. In the end we all have priorities that are different. You may want speed, I may want heavy arrows, the next guy a happy medium ect.... if it was me I’d take the bow down to the shop and shoot different weight arrows until you hit a speed that you are most comfortable with and see what weight it is and go from there. Then you can research components until you build an arrow on paper that fits the bill.

Jimbob

WKR
I would set you up with the axis 340/standard insert/125-grain head/wrap and AAE max stealth vanes. This gives you decent weight at 435 grains, 12% FOC, and your speed will be low 270's. That arrow will have a good trajectory and kill everything you want to hunt. Also, at 27" long it spines perfect for your set-up.

My Dad shot 29"/60lbs with a 400 grain arrow for years and killed multiple moose.

For what it’s worth, I had VAP TKO’s with 95g halfouts and they flew like darts, but 3-4 of the inserts got a small bend within the first couple weeks. So I switched to BE with ss collars from ethics, and there was 2-3 times where I forgot to adjust my slider and shot over my target into the hill behind it and nailed some rocks and didn’t have an issue with any bending or wobbles.
Im trying some different stuff out right now but if it doesn’t go as planned I’ll be going back to axis’s with a collar.