Another Arrow Thread.....

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I know I know another arrow thread but I’ve gotten into my own mind and am pulling my hair out at this point. So over the past two years I’ve shot three different setups and can’t make my mind up so I’m looking for some advice. These will be a do it all arrow used for bear, elk, mulies and white tails. I’ve had success with all three but can’t really decide on one.

Bow - Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT Turbo
66# 28” draw

Arrow - Goldtip Hunter XT, wraps and 3” vanetecs, 125gr Magnus stinger buzzcuts

452 GR - 284 fps
498 GR - 271 fps
547 GR - 259 fps

I’ve moved the fact weights around and have had FOC from 13% to 19%. I guess I’m just looking for some outside thoughts on it. Am I crazy for wanting to just go back to the 452’s at 284 and just leave it be?

452gr at 284 fps will kill everything in NA just fine. I think shooting in the 280s is the sweet spot for a do everything setup.

I would only go with your last option for a purpose built set up- moose, bison, baited brown bear, Africa waterhole etc where known distance is limited and penetration a premium.

Rob5589

WKR
280 fps seems to be a sweet spot for many. The 452 grain arrow will certainly get the job done and has good speed.

Out of all those which one tunes the best?

For elk and mule deer I'd go for the faster arrow, for whitetail the slower. Only reason for slower with whitetail is heavier arrow for a quieter bow, and generally shorter range.

OP
npro04

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly they all dialed in just fine. The heavier was certainly “easier” to get squared away but the 452 wasn’t bad just took a little more work. The bow seems to tolerate all three well which didn’t make the decision any easier. I didn’t have any problems with the 452 originally I guess I just got sucked into the heavier is better and high foc is better.

Zac

WKR
Your bow should pick the setup. If you can't figure it out through paper then you need to shoot with broadheads.

DavePwns

WKR
498 gr will do great out to 65 yds for your set up, it will be more quiet having a heavier arrow and give you more momentum for penetration 👍

498 gr will do great out to 65 yds for your set up, it will be more quiet having a heavier arrow and give you more momentum for penetration 👍
that's my feelings too, but in all reality, it doesn't matter.... between those 3 arrows, there is a VERY slim chance having one over the other will ever change the outcome of a shot, and if it did, you wouldn't know which would have been the best arrow until after the fact.

my best advice is to just pick one, any one... they are all within the practical range for your setup and applications... just pick one, stick with it and become familiar with it.... that will matter more than a few grains either way for sure.

the energy you are using thinking about this could be used more efficiently ;)

many of us have been there, overthinking arrow builds.... none are magic, avoid extremes and kill critters... it really is that simple, no need to overcomplicate it.... speaking from experience

OP
npro04

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the feedback guys. The 452 worked great for the years I used it and I just started thinking more weigh more weight and I liked the 547 a lot but I started getting worried the 258-260 speed was eventually going to cost me so I went back down to 452 and now I’m not sure. This attempting to chase perfection is a minor character flaw of mine and it’s driving me nuts.

Rob5589

WKR
I appreciate the feedback guys. The 452 worked great for the years I used it and I just started thinking more weigh more weight and I liked the 547 a lot but I started getting worried the 258-260 speed was eventually going to cost me so I went back down to 452 and now I’m not sure. This attempting to chase perfection is a minor character flaw of mine and it’s driving me nuts.
Split the difference with the 498.