Another bag post?.. Mammut ? Hyke and byke ?

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I’m what you can an over thinker. Actually, that’s probably an under statement. Anyway, I’m doing some research for my first quality sleeping bag. I want it fairly light, down, packable, and price friendly. I know that’s a tough combo, but I don’t get out that much.

I get pretty good discounts on a few brands(Mammut, big Agnes, Nemo, and a few others) so I like the idea of them But I’m not opposed to another brand. I’m also cool with used gear so maybe I don’t need a specific model but just brand recommendations.

I see WM and FF talked about highly, but unless I find the deal of a lifetime I just don’t see that happening. So, other options? What’s the opinion on Outdoor Vitals? Anyone use Mammut? I’d love to hear about it if so. How about Hyke and Byke?

Also, if you had one bag as a do-it-all, what temp would it be? 15-20? 0? Mostly will be used for hunting but an occasional camping trip with the wife. This year will be September in Colorado, next year will be mid November in Montana just for some temp ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Klymit KSB 20 and it is perfect for Sept IMO. I am a hot sleeper though. I'd think you would want something warmer in MT in mid November. The last time I hunted MT in November (2020), it got down to -15! I used a military sleep system and was warm.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Klymit KSB 20 and it is perfect for Sept IMO. I am a hot sleeper though. I'd think you would want something warmer in MT in mid November. The last time I hunted MT in November (2020), it got down to -15! I used a military sleep system and was warm.

Yeah Montana takes cold to a new level, especially when that wind picks up lol I’d say a sleep pretty hot(wake up sweaty a lot) but really want to do just one bag to save some cost. So maybe a little lower than a 20?

Yeah Montana takes cold to a new level, especially when that wind picks up lol I’d say a sleep pretty hot(wake up sweaty a lot) but really want to do just one bag to save some cost. So maybe a little lower than a 20?

Absolutely for November. Will you be packing it in your backpack? If not, then I'd get a cheap -20 non-down or just bring some quilts.

I tried going budget and had the worst experience with it. I froze for 7 nights straight. Knowing that Montana is brutal I would just save and get the best bag possible. Maybe cash in some points, gift cards or whatever you have to do. Buy used or wait for a sale. It will be much better leaving with confidence. Also, pair with a good pad.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Hyke and Byke 0 degree down bag, the one they make for hammocks. I don't use it for hammocks, I just really like the extra shoulder room. It is good enough for my backcountry trips down to the low 20's. I did the quilt thing for a season or two and found I preferred a bag. At least when I am not hammock camping.

go_deep

WKR
I have the down 0° Hyke and Byke, slept with a pad on the ground in 8° overnight temps in an backpack tent unheated. I did wear base and midweight layers, woke up warm the next morning.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I have the down 0° Hyke and Byke, slept with a pad on the ground in 8° overnight temps in an backpack tent unheated. I did wear base and midweight layers, woke up warm the next morning.

Glad to hear it! They look like really nice bags for a great price. Just hard to find info on them. Does it pack well?