Another bear mauling

Opah

WKR
They had to be from California! Bear country Alaska no personal defense, no bear spray? Hey you know how to identify a man eating bear by its Dung ?
By the over powering odor of Pepper

OP
AK Troutbum
There's both brown and black bears there, and according to the report, they were mauled in their tent. I can't imagine being fast asleep and having a bear attacking me in my tent in the middle of the night.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I can't imagine being fast asleep and having a bear attacking me in my tent in the middle of the night.
Wish I could say that. Also have had them sleep against the side of the tent, literally snuggling close to my shoulders, and snoring. I was never hurt by this, and it is very young bears that have recently been run off by their mother and are lonely. It is somewhat funny......if you jam them with your elbow to run them off, they make a noise, get up, then lay back down and snuggly as close as the thickness of the tent. Never had any of these lonely bears damage the tent.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
There's both brown and black bears there, and according to the report, they were mauled in their tent.
I remember 50'ish years ago the biologist there in Soldotna (Thompson) was moose hunting with a bow in that same area with his wife, and they were attacked horribly for a long period while in their shelter. Even after they were free from the inside of the tent, the attack continued, repeatedly for a long horrific time. He lived but was severely injured and disfigured. What was interesting is that the attack persisted over for a long time. As I recall she was not hurt.
Their camp was clean of any attractant to bears. We knew Al Thompson. The entire "small" community was shocked.

Last edited:
There's both brown and black bears there, and according to the report, they were mauled in their tent. I can't imagine being fast asleep and having a bear attacking me in my tent in the middle of the night.
If I am being honest one of my biggest fears in bear country. Not so much when I am with people but alone it definitely crosses my mind. Thanks for the article!

seriously...not something I would want to wake up to.

I wonder if an electric fence would have deterred this one.
This article brings back memories from my days of living in cooper landing. I used to hike clients out the hidden creek trail when skilak was to rough to cross in my river guiding days and i did do first aid on craig medred when he was attacked by a sow with cubs on russian lakes trail. I was a dishwasher at gwinn's when Mr Medred has his run in. Still rember to this day him giving me the keys to his rig and looking at the 454 casual that had teeth marks in the reticle caps of the scope on the pistol.

OP
AK Troutbum
This article brings back memories from my days of living in cooper landing. I used to hike clients out the hidden creek trail when skilak was to rough to cross in my river guiding days and i did do first aid on craig medred when he was attacked by a sow with cubs on russian lakes trail. I was a dishwasher at gwinn's when Mr Medred has his run in. Still rember to this day him giving me the keys to his rig and looking at the 454 casual that had teeth marks in the reticle caps of the scope on the pistol.
It's funny you mention Craig Medred. When I first moved up here and there was a bear mauling, Craig would always write about something that the person did (or didn't do), that would have prevented the mauling. It seemed like in Craig's eyes the people getting mauled were always in the wrong. Then one day Craig gets mauled, and he comes out and writes how a person can be doing everything right and still get mauled. Kind of funny how sometimes things like that work.