Another boot question. Salomon to Kenetrek

Rmauch20

WKR
I have used a pair salomon’s the last two years. I liked them but the same complaints as others (water proofness and not the warmest). I bought a used pair of Kenetrek hard scrabble from Kenetrek and they came with the supportive insoles. After about 25 miles in the I had to change the insoles. I know I didn’t make it to the recommended 50 miles but they were killing my feet. I went to sole inserts. They are slightly thiner but after about 5 miles on those I am having the same issue.
It feels like there is quite a bit of pressure on the arch of my foot. Which causes my feet to ache even when I am not wearing the boots. Which I think is changing my gait when I walk which is causing a bit of discomfort in my knees. That could be coincidental or workout relented but it is a fairly new issue.
I want to like the Kenetrek’s but I am starting to have some doubts they work with my foot.
Anyone have another insole to try or recommendation ?

I’ve tried a lot of boots on and bought a bunch as my feet are tough to fit and my heels like to slip and rub. If I had try that hard to get a boot to work I would switch boots. I’ve done it and tried a bunch of insoles. Now that I finally have boots that work well it came down to how well the boot fit right away. If it hurts it’s not really going to stop hurting. What height some insoles did you use? Can you go to a very low arch insole?

• Banned
OP
R

Rmauch20

WKR
The Kenetrek insoles are 4mm thick with a high arch. The sole thick insoles are 3.2mm with a bit more flex in the arch.
If I went with a medium I could get down to 1.6 mm in thickness.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Kenetrek has some great lacing technique videos on YouTube you could try. The video is with the mountain extreme boots but would apply to the hardscrabbles as well. Check it out. Also there is no comparison between Solomon’s and Kenetrek. Both good brands but in my opinion one is a shoe and one is a boot. The Kenetrek midsole is 7mm nylon which doesn’t give easy. If you really want those boots to work it’ll take time. My mountain extremes took every bit of the 50 miles but I love them. Good luck!

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sounds like you bought insoles with too high of an arch. I would go and try out all the different ones from Superfeet and Sole, maybe even the Synergy insoles from Lathrop, and see what that does. I've never had a proper fitting pair of leather boots take 50 miles to break in. They've either been right from the start, or they never got better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

madhouse

FNG
I have run salomons to 11k’ plus and in 2’ of snow. They aren't waterproof but with merino socks they have never been a problem. Carrying 70# on my back and covering ground i opt for a lighter weight boot. I have used the same pair for the last 4 years elk hunting and daily white tail. Finally time to replace.

Check out sheep feet. They’ve been amazing for me. They send you a foam box, you do an impression of your feet in the foam and send it back to them. Approx a month or so later you receive a set of custom insoles. I have two sets and have had zero issues