Another broadhead thread - iron will vs ???

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
There the best made broadhead out there. People get salty because they can't afford the price and are afraid to admit it. And sure there are plenty of other choices but nothing comes close to the quality. For elk I'll use nothing else. All that time and money you put into a hunt a specially elk people don't wanna put the money in the most important part. Bill did all the hard work testing and the science involved in creating these superior tolerances and materials. Whoever says they don't fly well is out of there mind. They have a short ferrel and aerodynamics make it an extremely accurate head. People who say magnus and Montec fly better at distance have no clue how physics works. The more surface area sticking out in front of the arrow will make it less accurate period.

HbDane

WKR
I've had great results with Iron Will single bevel and solids, haven't shot the wides yet. But I also enjoy shooting Annihilator's, Tooth of the Arrow and Grim Reaper Hades and micro Hades. I always have a mixed quiver though. Just depends on what I'm hunting at the time. I have noticed whatever broadheads I'm using as my primary, it seems the grim Reaper heads are always in the quiver.

Zac

WKR
I like Ironwill as well, really can't go wrong with them. However I found the Evolution Outdoors to be the most forgiving as well. I've never smacked broadhead and field tips together at 60 before I discovered those. That being said they are no where as durable, and do not have the edge retention of the IW.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Iron wills are great but unnecessary. Give me some magnus buzz cuts, black hornets, sevr 1.5, qad exodus, etc.

dmoran5

FNG
Im still a huge fan of the Slick Trick Stainless Steel. I haven't had a bow yet that they didnt shoot good out of.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Kudu Point broad heads is another great option

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I bought some IW's before they came out with the wides. When they showed up, I was really surprised at just how small of a head they are. They can't help but fly well, they're not big heads.

Iron will's don't do great in coastal salt conditions. They'll rust a bit in a fog or light drizzle, even when lubed up real good. Other than that, they stay sharper than any other heads I've used, and their ferrule is waaaay better than the plastic/aluminum ones on Magnus.

That said, I still like Magnus Stingers and Black Hornets if I'm in high humidity/salt conditions.

406unltd

WKR
Ive shot valkyrie the last few years and like them a lot. Slick tricks standards were always my go to before that, I still have a bunch of them actually.

There website states that the warranty is not for practice dings and chips etc, but only for hunting damage from animal.
This is how they start their warranty description:
Our guarantee is a handshake - a promise that our broadheads will work as hard as you do.

This is directly from their site"
Broadheads damaged when shooting at or through targets are not covered under warranty.
Damage done while removing broadheads from unintended targets is not covered under warranty.
Normal wear-and-tear, improper care, or damage due to misuse, or broadheads that need to be sharpened again after shooting are not covered.

I used these exclusively for a lot of years and sent some in a few years ago for damage received during practice and they covered them. But now I see they state only damaged broadheads from actual hunting are covered.
This is directly from their website:
Broadheads that are shot into or through an animal qualify for warranty returns.

I can't blame them for their position on warranty. BUT one of the reasons I originally bought these years ago was for replacement. The price is not justified without it being unconditional- IMO. I dont really care for the way they fly at distance and w/o the unconditional warranty, I will be switching this year to something different.

Huntin_GI

WKR
There website states that the warranty is not for practice dings and chips etc, but only for hunting damage from animal.
This is how they start their warranty description:
Our guarantee is a handshake - a promise that our broadheads will work as hard as you do.

This is directly from their site"
Broadheads damaged when shooting at or through targets are not covered under warranty.
Damage done while removing broadheads from unintended targets is not covered under warranty.
Normal wear-and-tear, improper care, or damage due to misuse, or broadheads that need to be sharpened again after shooting are not covered.

I used these exclusively for a lot of years and sent some in a few years ago for damage received during practice and they covered them. But now I see they state only damaged broadheads from actual hunting are covered.
This is directly from their website:
Broadheads that are shot into or through an animal qualify for warranty returns.

I can't blame them for their position on warranty. BUT one of the reasons I originally bought these years ago was for replacement. The price is not justified without it being unconditional- IMO. I dont really care for the way they fly at distance and w/o the unconditional warranty, I will be switching this year to something different.
Seeing this surprises me. @Bill V , what drove the change? Lot of scams?

Seeing this surprises me. @Bill V , what drove the change? Lot of scams?
I know this was intended for Bill, but I totally understand their stance on warranty. I too would only warranty a product for in field use it was intended for. Not someone hitting a brick wall. But with triple the price, I can't justify the cost anymore.
And I have 7 packs of 6 in various sizes. :(

Elest98

FNG
My philosophy is the arrow and broad head ultimately is what’s responsible for the kill. And if what works best is a little more expensive it’s worth it. Especially when talking about one a year or once in a lifetime hunts. I’ll be shooting IW single bevel Snyder core.

I guess I'll weigh in with my opinion.

I think it's a great time to be an archer, you have so many good quality choices, the biggest thing is shooting something you have confidence in. I pretty much always have an IW of some iteration in my compound quiver for the past few years, but I have lots of other heards as well. At this point IW is the only head I use with my recurve, tho I wouldn't mind using some others, just what I have in the weight I use. The edge retention is superior to anything else I have used, which I think helps tremendously with penetration. I don't have penetration issues with my compound so it's not as high a priority, tho I don't exactly have issues with my recurve either.

Going back to the confidence thing, when you release that arrow you need to be confident. Need to know it's going to hit right where you are looking, and that it will do its job. If you have doubt in your mind it will creep into your shot. Shoot a head that you have confidence in, both in the fact that it will do what it's supposed to do without fail, and hit where it's supposed to. I have seen plenty of elk killed by setups that the internet will make you believe they would bounce off. I have also seen 2 blade single bevels fail to break thru the humorous/shoulder socket and get absolutely mangled. Don't think that you can build an arrow that will always break thru, these are archery tools, they kill different from firearms and need to be used differently.

Lots of good options, buy some and experiment, find the head you have confidence in.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Kudu Point broad heads is another great option

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I shoot the 125 gr last year. They are a great head and flew good for me. They can be a bit of a pain to sharpen, however it's not impossible with a stay sharp kit.

My one complaint is that I did not have a solid blood trail on the buck I double lunged last year. The broadhead did it's job in that the buck ran less than 100 yards from where I shot him, but without the blood trail I was unable to locate him in the dark and needed to come back the following morning to find him. With all that said this could also be related to the shot placement. While a double lung it was a little high and towards the back of his lungs. Hoping to put one through a few more this coming season to see if it was a one off .

M_talking10

Lil-Rokslider
Love Iron Will broadheads and their knives. Broadheads stay sharper for longer than any other I have tried. You have to have a tuned bow for fixed blades to fly well and if you have a tuned bow you shouldn't have a problem getting solid arrow flight. I own single and double bevel solids and have had zero issues with arrow flight on multiple arrow setups. Highly recommend!

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
I guess I'll weigh in with my opinion.

I think it's a great time to be an archer, you have so many good quality choices, the biggest thing is shooting something you have confidence in. I pretty much always have an IW of some iteration in my compound quiver for the past few years, but I have lots of other heards as well. At this point IW is the only head I use with my recurve, tho I wouldn't mind using some others, just what I have in the weight I use. The edge retention is superior to anything else I have used, which I think helps tremendously with penetration. I don't have penetration issues with my compound so it's not as high a priority, tho I don't exactly have issues with my recurve either.

Going back to the confidence thing, when you release that arrow you need to be confident. Need to know it's going to hit right where you are looking, and that it will do its job. If you have doubt in your mind it will creep into your shot. Shoot a head that you have confidence in, both in the fact that it will do what it's supposed to do without fail, and hit where it's supposed to. I have seen plenty of elk killed by setups that the internet will make you believe they would bounce off. I have also seen 2 blade single bevels fail to break thru the humorous/shoulder socket and get absolutely mangled. Don't think that you can build an arrow that will always break thru, these are archery tools, they kill different from firearms and need to be used differently.

Lots of good options, buy some and experiment, find the head you have confidence in.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I’m looking for the most reliable head on the market that flies true to my field points assuming i have done my part in tuning.

that being said about as many people that complained about poor flight there were that many people who stated it flies perfect. So my question is, those of you who didn’t like the flight did you broadhead tune the IW?

Money isn’t my problem here, i simply want a broadhead that will do what i expect for the price i pay without having to buy 5 different broadheads to find 1 good head that flies true and will perform deadly kills.

Jimbee

WKR
I think you hit the nail on the head. I’m looking for the most reliable head on the market that flies true to my field points assuming i have done my part in tuning.

that being said about as many people that complained about poor flight there were that many people who stated it flies perfect. So my question is, those of you who didn’t like the flight did you broadhead tune the IW?

Money isn’t my problem here, i simply want a broadhead that will do what i expect for the price i pay without having to buy 5 different broadheads to find 1 good head that flies true and will perform deadly kills.
My IWs didn't fly well, swapped to montec and they flew great. Not knocking IW, just stating my experience.