Another broadhead thread - iron will vs ???

gibby97

FNG
So I’m thinking about upgrading broadheads to iron will 100 gr. I still struggle with the price since they are 2 to 3 times other well reviewed cut on impact heads. Looking for experiences from those who have tried numerous broadheads why did you settle on the one you use today.

I’ve been going back and forth on these heads while currently using magnus black hornet. I’m thinking between Iron Will, Muzzy Trocar, Slick Trick and QAD Exudus.

I mainly hunt whitetail but am going elk hunting this fall and plan on using 100 gr but am not ruling out going to 125 gr if needed.

appreciate the replies

TravisIN

WKR
Evolution Jekylls are awesome. They are the most forgiving fixed head I’ve shot. And I’ve shot a lot, including iron wills (solid, vented, and wides). There are many that fly great and are forgiving including iron wills. But these are the most forgiving and the easiest to tune and shoot long distances that I have found out of my setup. The only other one that is as good is a trophy taker atac, but they are pretty dull out of the package and hard to sharpen. These are middle of the road pricing but have great tolerances and always sharp. Couple examples of them in use. Broke the does shoulder at 30. 73 lbs 525gr arrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbee

WKR
I bought a 3 pack of Iron Wills, they didn't fly well for me and I lost one. I went back to Montec. If someone wants to try my remaining 2, let me know. 100 grain.

MT257

WKR
Waiting on the new 100gr single bevel from IW to come out. I would look at the kudu as well. I had the IW solids before, but was unable to get them to fly well. I thought the kudu is much quieter than the IW solids I tried.

There are a ton of good broadheads on the market that don’t have the iron will price tag. They’ve worked great for years. Magnus is a great head in the same design and will do everything you need it to do. VPA, kudu, cutthroat, or Simmons if you like to resharpen and reuse. Magnus, grim reaper or QAD if you don’t want to mess with sharpening.

Not to say iron will broadheads aren’t a great head. But what I’ve used for nearly 30 years has worked fine. I can’t justify the cost. To each their own.

DRUSS

WKR
Had IW solid 100gr for 2 seasons. Flew ok for me. Bit I live on the coast and the upkeep was unreasonable for me. Rusted after any morning fog or rain. I did have the oil kit they offer. And used it every weekend. Not sure what I'm going to use this year. Might go back to strykers. Looking at solid and grave digger, also sevr.

There are a bunch of good broadheads. I’m a liitle OC about sharpness and you probably won’t find another head that stays sharp as well as IW. The type of steel he uses keeps an edge incredibly well. I wouldn’t do it, but I’ve shot one several times into a target and it’s still shaving sharp - enough to hunt with. Small price to pay to maintain for rust…easy enough to coat them.

Reactions: Zac

Fullfan

WKR
There and other options other than IW. I used them for 2 years for elk hunting. Good luck w any warntee, their customer service sucks. Switched to the black hornets from Magnus. Killed several elk and lots of deer. Had two heads that I could not get to spin true, no matter what I tired. One phone call to Magnus resulted in several new heads. No questions asked.

fatlander

WKR
They’re the best broadheads I’ve ever used. They come out of the package ridiculously sharp, have all spun true, and hold an edge better than anything else I’ve tried. Their terminal performance on big game has been awesome.

With that said, they’re harder to sharpen than some broadheads. Like most super steels, keeping them sharp is way easier than letting them get dull and having to resharpen them. Rusting can be an issue, keep Vaseline on them and you’ll be fine. They’re very tough broadheads, but there still not built for shooting rocks. I don’t think any broadheads are though.

Personally, I will not shoot big game with another head. Whitetails and smaller game, I’m an expandable guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galamb

FNG
I do shoot Iron Will - 125 grain vented Crossbow for hunting Moose with my crossbow.

Tags don't come along every year and after a two day drive and a grand for a cabin, time invested, money in gear etc I don't want to play around with anything but the absolute finest broadheads. Even here in Canada where it runs a little over 160 bucks to get 3 of them here that is a small price to pay compared to the cost involved and the "only get a tag every 3 or 4 years".

But for the same reason I do "not" use them on Deer. Deer are easy to kill and not worth losing a (cost to me) 50 dollar plus head.

I hunt deer primarily with my 51lb Recurve - have been hunting traditional since the late 1970's and have gone through more than a dozen heads.

I currently carry GrizzlyStik Silver Flames (150 grain) which are way more than enough for deer at recurve range (they also shoot fine in my crossbow and would not hesitate to use them on deer "at range" with that) - they come in at less then half the cost of the Iron Wills.

I have also shot GrizzlyStik Maasai's single bevel 150 (got squirrely on me after 20 yards so never hunted them) Dirt Nap 150 HD DRT's double bevel, Magnus Stingers 2 bld 150's and Zwicky Eskimo's 2 bld 160's which were the only head I shot for over 20 years.

Anything you can get to fly "well" is Deer Deadly.

If your Elk Hunt is expensive/rare, don't play around - go with a premium head like Iron Will, VPA etc You don't want to blow a rare hunt or rare opportunity because your $2K trip with another $2K of gear wasn't worth spending a little over 100 bucks on broadheads which are kinda the important part...

JjamesIII

WKR
Big fan of iron wills. Their life time warranty is a slight hassle though.
Do they take care of dinged-up main blades? I’ve got a few that are sitting on my bench that need sent in, if they warranty that type of damage. What hassles did you get from them? We pay a premium for those heads with the expectation of them lasting until they get lost.

JjamesIII

WKR
There are a ton of good broadheads on the market that don’t have the iron will price tag. They’ve worked great for years. Magnus is a great head in the same design and will do everything you need it to do. VPA, kudu, cutthroat, or Simmons if you like to resharpen and reuse. Magnus, grim reaper or QAD if you don’t want to mess with sharpening.

Not to say iron will broadheads aren’t a great head. But what I’ve used for nearly 30 years has worked fine. I can’t justify the cost. To each their own.
Cut throats are moving in the wrong direction as far as price is concerned. I would have bought more but they are now in that premium level where I will just stick to vpa for my trad bow.

D S 319

WKR
Do they take care of dinged-up main blades? I’ve got a few that are sitting on my bench that need sent in, if they warranty that type of damage. What hassles did you get from them? We pay a premium for those heads with the expectation of them lasting until they get lost.
Yes they will. As long as you kept track of your confirmation # if you bought them online it’s simple. Bought a set at scheels and it was a hassle trying to get the number I needed to warranty.

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
lots of good experiences with different broadheads. I’m after the reliability of flying true assuming i did my part and then holding together once i hit bone, etc. Just seems to me iron will has as many negatives as positives from arrow flight? Not trying to knock it but rather make sure if I’m spending the $$ that I’m getting exactly what i should expect.

lots of good experiences with different broadheads. I’m after the reliability of flying true assuming i did my part and then holding together once i hit bone, etc. Just seems to me iron will has as many negatives as positives from arrow flight? Not trying to knock it but rather make sure if I’m spending the $$ that I’m getting exactly what i should expect.
The tune of your bow and your shooting form could be more important than the design of the Broadhead.

That said some designs are inherently more forgiving for those of us who do not self tune bows and can suffer from poor form 😂.

Smaller, shorter, vented all help with less surface area to plane. I have had great flight from the 100gr vented IW in one bow out to 80 yds. I tried the wides in another bow and not so good overall

Customer service was normal. I did have the tip chip about 1-2mm on a couple heads after hitting bone. They replaced it. I think the Single bevel tip would be stronger so that’s what I’m going to try this year

I’ve use them on big animals where the sharpness and bleeding is at a premium- Brown bear, Moose, musk ox, Africa. Worth it to me on those hunts, great results. Deer size I prefer expandable.

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
Waiting on the new 100gr single bevel from IW to come out. I would look at the kudu as well. I had the IW solids before, but was unable to get them to fly well. I thought the kudu is much quieter than the IW solids I tried.
There back in stock today