Another broadhead thread - iron will vs ???

I think you hit the nail on the head. I’m looking for the most reliable head on the market that flies true to my field points assuming i have done my part in tuning.

that being said about as many people that complained about poor flight there were that many people who stated it flies perfect. So my question is, those of you who didn’t like the flight did you broadhead tune the IW?

Money isn’t my problem here, i simply want a broadhead that will do what i expect for the price i pay without having to buy 5 different broadheads to find 1 good head that flies true and will perform deadly kills.

They will tune. Here is 55 yards. IW Solid, and fp. Same result with wide.

20220329_155902.jpg

That's out of a shooting machine. After I got to that point I started shooting singles and just marking impact.

To be fair I find most broadheads will tune, I feel confident that if someone isn't getting them to fly with FP's out to at least 50 yards if not further (drag results in a drop at some point, my experience is it's normally out there a ways like 70+) it's a result of not being tuned. That might be the bow, or it might be a spine issue that doesn't really creep in til using broadheads.

Mine never really flew that great. They would hit with my FP's just fine at 20-40 yards. But they exposed my form flaws really bad past 40. . That's on me not IW.
I have 100S, 125S, 150S all std width.

I had to keep bow speed around 270 fps to really benefit for my set up and shot process. (Hinge). I had a bow that was almost at 300fps with the 100 gr IW and it was a handful. But to be fair, most BH's were.
I currently use 3 fletch with AAE Stealth 3" vanes. Never did try a 4 fletch in a smaller vane.
I did buy some sharpener system to help make this process easier and havent used it yet to review it, but saw it on a Ranch Fairy video I think.

My Montecs grouped well at any distance out to 90 yards. (72 lb at 290FPS) They just were dull and got even duller as I used them.

This year I bought 3 of the Grim Reaper Pro Series Micro Hades Pro Broadheads (4 Blade) to test as well as 3 of the Strickland's Archery Helix Broadheads (Right Bevel).
If these group easier I will stick with one of them.

I'm just done paying $90 for 3 BH's. I have 6 cases of 6pak - IW BH's in all. So don't accuse me of being afraid to spend the $. :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you're having trouble with IW's or any head for that matter, look to your fletching. They may need more drag.......i.e. longer vanes, taller vanes, more offset or helical, additional vane. You won't get a 185gr Snuffer to shoot well with three micro Blazers. ;) That is just an example.

I bought some exodus heads 2 years ago thinking I would swap to iron will if those didn't fly straight or give the terminal performance I wanted. Since then, I've shot the exodus out to 100 yards on targets and smoked 2 elk plus a really nice whitetail, and instead of switching my set up to iron wills I'm watching the rest of my crew switch to the exodus. I do sharpen the heck out of the blades though, the factory edge is just so so.

I'm sure iron wills are awesome, but I can't justify that upgrade for myself given the performance of the exodus.

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
I bought some exodus heads 2 years ago thinking I would swap to iron will if those didn't fly straight or give the terminal performance I wanted. Since then, I've shot the exodus out to 100 yards on targets and smoked 2 elk plus a really nice whitetail, and instead of switching my set up to iron wills I'm watching the rest of my crew switch to the exodus. I do sharpen the heck out of the blades though, the factory edge is just so so.

I'm sure iron wills are awesome, but I can't justify that upgrade for myself given the performance of the exodus.
you using standard or swept?

I’ve been using G5 strikers and sevr 2.0 in 125 grains the past couple years. I bumped up from 100 grains which isn’t much but I think it made a difference.

The strikers have been great for me and match my field points to 90.(Furthest I’ve tried). They are more of a one time use in my experience. After passing through an animal the blades are usually shot. I’ve taken 6 animals with them over the past two years. I will for sure keep using them.

The sevr’s fly good but the penetration isn’t great. I took a pair of antelope and a mule deer over the last two years and they didn’t impress me like I thought they would. I have finally ran out of them and don’t plan on buying more.

I got some IW for this fall and they fly perfect with my field points. I plan on using them along with the g5s. I’ll be saving the IW for elk and whitetail from the ground as I am usually presented frontal shots and I think the IW will hold up better. Time will tell but so far I think they’ll be worth the cost.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We changed our warranty to be "at or through an animal" because we had too much abuse. Guys would shoot through old foam targets repeatedly into rocks, not worrying about damaging heads every shot because we would replace them. We had one guy shoot six broadheads into a log and bend all the threads with plyers pulling them out. We also had some guys shooting cinderblocks to test them and then want them replaced. If we continued to replace everything, it would drive the price up for everyone. Preventing damage while target shooting is easy enough with a good foam target (Rinehart, Matrix, Blob) and not shooting groups at the same spot under 50 yards. I think it's fair to have the shooter take some responsibility for this. I have found that you can shoot through the heaviest of bone and not damage our broadheads and this was the original intention of the warranty. If they are damaged on an animal or if you hit something past the animal, we take care of it.

Our higher price tag is due to the materials and manufacturing processes. Our combination of impact strength, sharpness, and edge retention is unmatched. Our heads will cut through bone like no other. Depending on the shot, you may or may not need this improved performance.

I've tested a lot of fixed blade heads and believe our heads are one of the best flying fixed blade heads available. If your bow is tuned, arrow is properly spined, your form is decent, and you have enough fletching for good stability, you won't have any problems. I shoot them to 100 yards almost every day. If you do have flight issues, we are happy to talk through your setup and suggest things that can help.

You should find that our customer service is greatly improved this year. We got in a backorder situation last year and did not have enough people to handle all of the calls and emails coming in. We've added some great people to our team this year in customer service and tech support and I think it will be the best in the industry. If you are not satisfied with our customer service this year, send me a DM because I want to know about it.

Good hunting!
Bill

Last edited:

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Iron will heads been using the same 3 for 3 seasons now. I hunt in NW Florida and don’t have any problems with rust on mine after a fog or light rain. I keep iron will, qad exodus and Magnus in my quiver they all fly good. Once my bow is tuned almost any head I try shoots good but those 3 all fly good and have the same point of impact for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
So i ended up ordering 3 s100 iron will. Not a easy decision. So what about fletching? I am shooting vap’sare they long enough.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using Slick Trick Magnums or the Vipers since they came out, they just flat out work. I have heard a few people claim they don't "bleed" well. I don't know about that, all I can say is every time I let one fly, the animals never went far after being hit with one. The blades are easily replaceable too.

JoeDirt

WKR
It annoys me that people compare cut on contact vs chisel tip style broadheads, they are different!

Ive bought a few different style Iron WIlls, last year I tried the single bevel and really liked them. Nice "C" shaped hole, lots of blood on elk. They were easy to sharpen so back in the quiver they go!

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used multiple varieties and versions of IW’s from wides, to solids, to SB. Personally, I’ve had best flight with 3 blazers or max hunters at 3 degree helical. I struggled with max stealths past about 30 yards. .

I’ve used the warranty twice without any issues or hiccups. I look to continue with these heads for 99% of my hunting.

MT257

WKR
If you're having trouble with IW's or any head for that matter, look to your fletching. They may need more drag.......i.e. longer vanes, taller vanes, more offset or helical, additional vane. You won't get a 185gr Snuffer to shoot well with three micro Blazers. ;) That is just an example.
Think 4 3” bohning x vanes is enough drag? Only 1/2” tall but would the fourth vane have any effect?

Had IW solid 100gr for 2 seasons. Flew ok for me. Bit I live on the coast and the upkeep was unreasonable for me. Rusted after any morning fog or rain. I did have the oil kit they offer. And used it every weekend. Not sure what I'm going to use this year. Might go back to strykers. Looking at solid and grave digger, also sevr.
if you still have them, order some "purple extreme" bike chain lube... it does a great job of keeping non stainless heads pristine on the coast... unless it's in and out of the quiver a lot, it lasts a good amount of time and dries on, so it's not messy like oil... valkyrie jag wax works well too, but needs to be applied more often than the purple extreme

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It annoys me that people compare cut on contact vs chisel tip style broadheads, they are different!
Well how on earth do you propose that people figure out that they're different and why.....if they don't "compare them"??? Why on earth would that annoy you? We compare every product we use to other products, why would BH's be any different?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Think 4 3” bohning x vanes is enough drag? Only 1/2” tall but would the fourth vane have any effect?
Only one way to find out.

A few years ago I tried three 2.1" Q2i Fusion Xii's (.43" tall) and they worked fine with my GR Fatal Steel heads. But I also found that four of those vanes worked better with fixed heads. I would imagine that four of the 3" bohning x vanes would work fine, but could be overkill. I've found three of the Fusion Xii 3" vanes (.45" tall) to work just as well if not better than four of the 2.1" vanes. So three of the 3" Bohning vanes may be plenty.

DRUSS

WKR
if you still have them, order some "purple extreme" bike chain lube... it does a great job of keeping non stainless heads pristine on the coast... unless it's in and out of the quiver a lot, it lasts a good amount of time and dries on, so it's not messy like oil... valkyrie jag wax works well too, but needs to be applied more often than the purple extreme
Thanks, but I sold mine. Just more upkeep than I wanted to include in my hunting season. Maybe I will use IW again but I want to explore some more options.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Iron Wills are definitely made well and from high grade steel. You can’t go wrong with them, BUT, that being said, there’s a huge “aspirational marketing” aspect to them. At the end of the day, there are a bunch of greet broadheads out there, most don’t cost that much either. I’ve been bow hunting for 30 years. I’ve shot a ton of animals with a handful of different broadheads. There’s nothing that I’ve ever felt was lacking in those that is made up by IW’s. When that Zwickey or Magnus or Snuffer is buried in the dirt or has zipped through the rib cage, it’s done it’s job.
For COC heads, STOS were always my favorite, but more recently I’ve been shooting Cutthroats. For replaceable heads, G5 Strykers are hard to beat, especially the v2. I shot a bull a couple years ago with a Stryker and got a complete pass though and the bull went 30 yards. I’ve shot a bunch of deer also. For great blood trails on deer, it’s hard to beat Sevr 1.5.