Another CA Ridgeline stock option...

idahodave

WKR
I've been a long-time lurker here. I’ve learned a bunch along the way. By way of thanks, I thought I'd share my recent experience with a new(ish) stock for anyone that might be interested.

I recently acquired a CA Ridgeline in .300 WSM. It shoots fantastically, and overall I very much liked the rifle. To be honest though, it felt a bit "butt heavy". Out of curiosity as much as anything else, I pulled the factory stock off and weighed it at a rather beefy 36.5 ounces (sans bottom metal of course).

That set me down the path of finding a suitable alternative to replace the factory handle. I was looking for something under 25 ounces or so. I VERY much wanted a Carbon Hunter stock from Alterra Arms, but they are so backed up they aren't even taking orders at the moment. A Proof Lightweight Mountain Hunter seems like the Holy Grail of lighter stocks, but hunting season begins exactly 60 days from today and it seemed exceedingly unlikely I'd have one in hand before then.

To my surprise, some late-night research led me down the path to a previously-unknown-to-me Stockys handle. They were advertising a "NextGen UltraLite Caron Fiber" stock at "under 24 ounces". More surprising still, was that they were extremely affordable given the weight in particular. With the current sale in effect, I believe I gave just under $500 for it. Most shocking of all was they showed several in stock and inletted for the Ridgeline configuration. 6 days after I submitted the order it was on my doorstep.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I pulled it out of the box and weighted it. Sure enough, it measured 23.4 ounces on my scale. The ergonomics are shockingly similar to the factory handle. It's a tiny bit beefier out front, but not by a lot. The comb, the grip, the overall length, and most everything else is nearly identical....which isn't a terrible thing imho. Sure, I wish the comb were a tad higher, but for the price/weight/availability I'm not complaining. Enclosed are a few photos by way of comparison.

Dave

IMG_5801.JPG

IMG_5802.JPG

IMG_5804.JPG

IMG_5803.JPG

DuckDogDr

WKR
Very nice !
Do you have a link to the stock.
Also did you have any problems with getting the bottom metal to fit

archp625

WKR
Nice write up and glad you saved some weight. I never could like the factory stock. The sweep on the handle was for someone that hands the size of Shaq. Looks like the stocky's is the same way. Its a pass for me.

Sako300

WKR
How does it shoot with the new lighter stock? Did you have to spot bed? I’m interested in this stock!
Thankyou!

OP
idahodave

idahodave

WKR
As per the request, here is a link to the stock in question. To my amazement, the price has actually gone down...

LINK TO STOCK

The fit isn't exact, but it's really close. It wasn't a true "drop-in" stock for either the CA Ridgeline or my .260 5R Gen 2....but it was very, very close and ANY competent gunsmith should have no problem fitting and bedding with little work.

The rifle shoots just as well with the new, lighter stock as before....maybe a little better in fact. Then again, it has a much better bedding job so it ought to. I guess my official position is that it certainly didn't LOSE any accuracy, but it did lose a lot of weight.

Dave

OP
idahodave

idahodave

WKR
Here is the finished weight sans optics/rings….
5D8F667D-FA21-4B78-9DDA-14F19949A276.jpeg

A couple of groups with the new stock mounted up. Top group is factory 200 ELD-Xs. Two bottom groups are factory 190 LRABs. Even if the rifle is capable of better, I'm probably not.

FFD3820D-DBD3-4173-A1AD-D6AC0B70FD3E.jpeg

Dhbwa

WKR
Dave- Did you order yours with the varmint or Proof barrel channel?
Only required bedding or did you need to tweak the bottom metal inlet?

OP
idahodave

idahodave

WKR
Ordered the Sendero contour bud.

Bottom metal for was great. Had to relieve a very slight amount for the action to drop in. Also had to make a small cut for the bolt release.

Dave

Dhbwa

WKR
Got mine yesterday. 24oz so that it’s easy to like already. Not wildly crazy about the bottom of the forearm with the reverse taper but that isn’t life threatening and I knew that going in…
Will trial fit tomorrow….Standby