Another CA Wilderness Blacktail

DWarcher

WKR
Just got back from a short weekend trip in one of our CA wilderness areas. My buddy Jeff was able to connect on this great blacktail. It's his story to tell so maybe he will chime in here at some point. If not, then we will just enjoy the pictures.

A couple of notes from me:
- The buck that he killed was definitely the biggest buck that we say over the three days we were in there. We saw bunches of forked horns and three points.
- At least 80% of the bucks that we saw were hard-horned which is super early. Usually they start popping up around Labor Day weekend. The amount of hard-horned bucks we saw were unreal.
- Bears were everywhere...the hound band has officially taken effect.
-I got a chance to run the Nomad as a daypack during this trip and I absolutely love it! To get to camp, I used it along with my Longhunter which seemed to work out really well. Up until now I had just used my big bag as my daypack and while it compressed down okay it just never seemed to fit the bill. The Nomad for me is the ticket.

-Went superlight with my footwear this trip running a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3Ds and they really performed well for me. I shaved at lease a pound per foot off the Kennetreks I normally am sporting. Being as they are low tops, they might not be for you if you are prone to rolling your ankles.

Was a nice warm up trip...Arizona for elk in less than three weeks!

-Dave

SDHNTR

WKR
Wow, that is a stud black tail! Round up a CBH measurer as that baby is a serious contender.

JNDEER

WKR
Awesome True Blacktail!!

I have to say that your findings are exactly what I am seeing in the NF. Lots of hard horns and a TON of bears.

MattB

WKR
Great bucks, congratulations.

We went to our usual bear spot this year and saw exactly 0 bears and ran into 3 other guys who experienced the same due to the availability of food (and probably not due to the hound ban).

Yeti

FNG
Congrats!, I saw you guys up there and one of you talked to one of my friends after he made a stalk on a buck.