Another caliber post

Joseph28

FNG
I’ve been doing some research on a new rifle caliber I have a 300wm and 3006. I Live in ca but enjoy long range shooting and Hunting. I would like to hunt out of state a lot more in the coming years. Because I have 2 308 caliber rifles already I’m wanting to go with something a little smaller, I was thinking in the 6.5 area. The calibers I’ve been looking at are the 26 Nosler, 6.5 prc, 6.5 creed And the 6.5-300. What would be your decision. I’m not worried about ammo availability because I reload but I have been considering the price to reload because I like to shoot a lot and the more powder the more cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dcrafton

WKR
I’ve been doing some research on a new rifle caliber I have a 300wm and 3006. I Live in ca but enjoy long range shooting and Hunting. I would like to hunt out of state a lot more in the coming years. Because I have 2 308 caliber rifles already I’m wanting to go with something a little smaller, I was thinking in the 6.5 area. The calibers I’ve been looking at are the 26 Nosler, 6.5 prc, 6.5 creed And the 6.5-300. What would be your decision. I’m not worried about ammo availability because I reload but I have been considering the price to reload because I like to shoot a lot and the more powder the more cost.

Go with the 6.5 PRC all day long.
Great caliber and not a barrel burner like some others

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider
I’d go with the 6.5 creed, you’ve already got a big magnum which is what the 6.5-300 and 26 nosler would be just like, the creed will give you a much milder deer sized game cartridge with a much more pleasant shooting experience. Plus with reloading you can push it to the same speed the factory 6.5 prc offerings are running if you want.

JRMiller

WKR
small-medium game i use 6.5G, big game i use 6.5C, but when i start getting to my bucket list hunts i'll be building up a 6.5PRC
Almost all the bullets are interchangeable between the three

LightFoot

WKR
Definitely the 6.5 Creedmoor. More economical to shoot, so you can shoot it more often. Still plenty of energy to take deer and antelope at distances farther than I would shoot.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
J

Joseph28

FNG
I’d go with the 6.5 creed, you’ve already got a big magnum which is what the 6.5-300 and 26 nosler would be just like, the creed will give you a much milder deer sized game cartridge with a much more pleasant shooting experience. Plus with reloading you can push it to the same speed the factory 6.5 prc offerings are running if you want.

That was pretty much my mind set but boy is the ballistics of the 26 Nosler and 6.5-300 attention grabbing

You have to figure out what you want from them.. your list is like saying “I want a 30 cal, should I go 308 or 300 RUM.” They are very different.

If you want to shoot a lot a 6.5 creed is the only good choice on your list.

PRC is a “let it play at the range every now and again” type chambering unless you are cool with frequent rebarrels.

26 nos and 6.5x300 are so damn overbore you’re not going to want to shoot them hardly at all.

Those on your list I would go with 6.5 CM or possibly the 6.5 PRC if your wanting something for hunting and range play. 6.5 CM slightly less powder, lose a little in performance but not much, tons of data and loads already out there. 6.5cm is fun to shoot and easy on recoil.

Like someone said above you kind of have 2 different types of rounds here, large over bore rounds and then regular hi performance type round. Both the 26 Nosler and 6.5-300 are not going to be fun to shoot at the range for long periods due to recoil In my opinion, I’ve went through this my self (not with those calibers). They are also going to burn up barrels pretty fast and cost quite a bit more to reload for due to powder. While the ballistics are good you already have a round that could compete with them ballistically if setup correctly in the 300wm.

Quite a bit of data for 6.5prc now too. Still fun to shoot but little more recoil compared to 6.5cm. Probably a little less barrel life than 6.5cm but I don’t have any hard evidence on that myself and really only matters if you shoot a lot, like 500+ rounds a year, which I would expect the PRC to get around 2000 rounds on barrel. The 6.5 cm can go to 3000 rounds at least. So unless you shoot over 500 or so rounds a year you are going to get several years out of the barrel.

Might consider something in 6mm range as well. I really like 6 dasher, don’t have one my self but was torn between it and 22 cm. Only went with the 22 cm to be different because my friend has 6 dasher and I help him reload and shoot with him a lot. Great barrel life, better ballistics than 6.5 cm (less drop and about the same on wind drift) when running the 105 and 109 bullets with high bc’s. Slightly less energy at target but not too much. Still effective to 500-600 yard for whitetail type game. Most people don’t need to be shooting past those ranges anyways at game in my opinion, probably about the distance I should ethically shoot as well, although I have taken game beyond that. Easily target shoot to 1200 yards, only downside is spotting the impacts with it at that range are slightly difficulty with 6mm round.

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
I think you should buy what puts a grin on your face. A varmint/target rifle perhaps?

There's nothing in North America that you can't hunt with a good 300 WM or 30-06, which you already own.

Get something fun, something easy to shoot well. A 6.5 CM or something? That's a light kicker and usually quite accurate. Go more traditional with the 6.5x55 and enjoy a wonderful, soft kicking rifle. A 223 for varmints & coyotes perhaps? Maybe you'd enjoy a lever action? Or a single shot? I have a couple of Marlin lever actions and a couple of Ruger single shots that I thoroughly enjoy.

Figure out what you want to do with it first, then choose the cartridge. You've already got all the rifle you need for anything that walks in North America.

Or put the money into better optics, upgrade some other gear, something like that.

Regards, Guy

EastMT

WKR
I have 260, 6.5, 26 nos. 26 nos is crazy fast, I really enjoy it for reaching out. The only downside is it takes a long barrel to reach its potential so not an idea western rifle unless you are in open country. Brush and 26” barrels don’t mix.

I don’t have a PRC, but it looks really good. Of the ones listed, I really enjoy my Creedmoor, and this is from a guy who avoided all things Creedmoor because I didn’t want to like it hahaa.

I personally wouldn’t use a CM on elk, but it will do the job, I just like a little more lead for that sized animal.

I agree on not using CM on elk. I started shooting the creedmoor before it was so popular with all the hunters and supposed long range shooters. It was starting to become popular but everyone wasn’t acting like it wasn’t the greatest thing ever. Now I don’t even want to tell people I shoot a 6.5cm just because of the amount of people who act like and think it is so “snipery” of a rifle. If I wouldn’t have to spend $600 to get new dies and brass I would have changed calibers to 6.5x47 the last time I got a new barrel chambered just so I didn’t have to tell people I shoot a 6.5cm. But it is a really good all around caliber: east to reload for, good factory offering, good performance, good accuracy and lot of data and info.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’d recommend 6.5 PRC. In a med. length action. You have the versatility to run light to heavy bullets. Try some 124 Hammers & 156
Berger’s, & everything between. Capable Hunting / Target cartridge. Recoil is very manageable. Pleasure to shoot.
Build / Buy a Mid/lightweight pack rifle & still have ability to stretch it out.
Also great performance in a short barrel.
Factory ammo, & custom ammo available.
pretty easy to reload for also.
Good Luck.. Have Fun.

bird35

FNG
I have all of the but the 6.5-300 and id like to try it someday too. In your situation i would probably choose the 6.5 creed. I think it is a great round and will be cheper to find and or reload like you said you do. I shot a nice bull elk a couple years ago with mine. It was 300 yards, it went about 25 yards and piled up. The 6.5 creed it a really versatile around i think.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d go with the 6.5cm and just shoot the crap out of it, barrel life is going to be way better on it then a 6.5prc and you already have bigger gun options.

I love shooting my 6.5cm and it’s cheap to shoot. Factory Hornady 147eldm have been very accurate at $21 a box.