another choose my pack kuiu, SG, Exo

Blaw

WKR
ok this was going to be easy but I have gone down the rabbit hole

I have had the kifaru fulcrum...great pack but I am looking for these new traits

-smaller and lighter
-less strappy
-simple
-3-4day max trips, most likely 2nights 3 days
-I have not seen any of the packs I am posting if you feel they go against what I am looking for don't be shy

I have read I should be looking around the 4000-5000 cubic inches
I hunt western Alberta, foothills and rockies. from 69 to 14 Fahrenheit throughout sept to nov

have it down to
exo 4800
Kuiu pro lt 5500
SG ? looks like there is a few around the size of 4000 to 5000

any experience would be amazing. deer and elk, maybe a black bear one day would be going in this.

I love my old style KUIU and it seems like they fixed my primary (relatively minor) gripes on the newer models (shoulder strap angle adjustment and hip belt comfort).

I've heard the Pro 5500 doesn't have the hydration integration that comes with some of the other bags, so that's one thing to look out for.

BBob

WKR
I have 2 Kuiu, one old and one new suspension. The new suspension does carry heavy weight better. It's a touch bulkier than the old Ultra but more comfortable with weight. Depending on what I'm doing I swap the new suspension between a 3600, 4000 and a 6000 bag. I have the old ultra suspension setup with an 1800 bag for a day pack. Several friends like the new Kuiu as well and another his EXO and another his Kifaru. Kuiu has lots of straps but I roll them up fairly short with the included velcro retainers and it doesn't bother me after that. The straps do bug some people.

HuntnPack

WKR
Another vote for the EXO. I’ve owned several different sizes. Recently upgraded to the K3 4800. Excellent pack.
Expands to easily carry all my gear for
Extended backcountry trips, & compress
Down for day use. Super comfortable &
Easy to adjust the fit. Well laid out pack.
Great customer service.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
any experiences with SG?

big thing the kuiu had was a bit lighter than the exo.

and there was that review on here where the exo lumber pad would roll under extreme weight? anyone experience that?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
any experiences with SG?

and there was that review on here where the exo lumber pad would roll under extreme weight? anyone experience that?

I’ve used stone glacier for a few years, I really like their frame. I have the 7900 pack, it’s probably the perfect size and layout for me.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
any experiences with SG?

I've had 120 pounds (about 55 Kg) on my Exo K3, for me the lumbar pad carried the wieght fine once I put 2 of their lumbar shim's in.

Exo makes a very good product that is pretty intuitive to use. They also bwck it up with outstanding customer service.

I have not used Kuiu or SG packs.

Personally, I dislike Exo's design decision to use velcro on the hip belt. It is not a deal breaker, but is certainly a con.

The adjustable frame hight of the Exo is a huge plus if you have a torso length where 24 is good for light loads, but more lift is nice for those 50kg loads. Seek Outside is the only other company I'm aware of that has a field adjustable frame hight and Exo's implementation of it is better.

any experiences with SG?

I’ve experienced that with the exo K3 pack. I’ve also had the Velcro on the hip belt tear loose under a load. Absolutely loved the K2 design and sold them to upgrade to the K3. Have since sold my K3’s and ran SG for the last couple of years. No complaints on the SG, it’s packed a lot of critters and really heavy loads and has been solid and comfortable.

They are all very good packs in my opinion. It is all in your preferences. In my opinion they will all do what you are looking for. As another said, it is all in which fits you best and what your layout preferences are..

I've had a bunch of packs (Kifaru, SO, EXO, SG) and EXO and SG are my favorites.

The SG packs heavy weight best for me, is comfortable, and the bag designs work well enough.

EXO has the best bag designs IMO and is the most comfortable with light loads, feels like it isn't there, but just doesn't keep weight on my hips as well as the SG X-Curve frame. The cushy lumber pad just doesn't seem up to the task when asked to keep 70+ lbs up but I still find it more comfortable on heavy loads than Kifaru or Seek.

Edit to add: I've not tried the kuiu but the new frames did well on that pack shootout posted here last year. That adds credibility to me because his takeaways closely mirrored mine with the packs I do have experience with.

Last edited:

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
All will be fine, but I would go SG or Exo based on your criteria. I'm just now testing my SG since getting it but loving it so far. I went with the 7900 which is their biggest bag, but if you reduce it to bivy mode it's not bulky at all.

SG or Exo, can't go wrong so I would pick the frame that fits you best.

Most people rave about the xcurve frame (myself included) but they have other options if it doesn't fit your back the way you would like it to. So you can still pick a SG bag and pair it with any frame.

madcalfe

WKR
I’ve used stone glacier 6900 for a few years now I really like it it’s packed out a lot of animal. also just purchased a kifaru hoodlum and it’s been good so far. I also ordered a Kuiu 6000 for my gf and sold it the same day it arrived lol.
stone glacier x curve
51F4EB26-AC0D-4CC8-9937-AE73017D1309.jpeg
kifaru
62B71946-CCE9-40FD-9328-AB2F4DE94489.jpeg

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I’ve used stone glacier 6900 for a few years now I really like it it’s packed out a lot of animal. also just purchased a kifaru hoodlum and it’s been good so far. I also ordered a Kuiu 6000 for my gf and sold it the same day it arrived lol.
stone glacier x curve
View attachment 296574
kifaru
View attachment 296575
hahaha great pics! hope you didnt have to go too far!

and good too know about the kuiu that one will def not be an option. SG or Exo it is!

RCB

WKR
hahaha great pics! hope you didnt have to go too far!

and good too know about the kuiu that one will def not be an option. SG or Exo it is!
I’ve never used Kuiu but fwiw there was a review on this site some months ago that bought and tested a bunch of backpacks and Kuiu ranked either first or second I think - for him.
Which is why these threads are never be the useful. Fit is a personal thing. If you can swing it, try to buy more than one, and haul some weight around your house. Obviously that involves putting up a lot of cash so may not be practical. But the fact is no one here can tell you what backpack will fit you best.

Sounds like the SG solo would fit what you’re looking for. That’s my go to pack for day hunts up 3-4 days. It’s lighter than the Exo as well. If you go with the evo frame and evo solo bag it’s 4 lbs. the x curve frame is 12 oz heavier but fits a lot of guys better because of the curve in the frame. It’s a simple pack that is up for whatever you throw at it. Any other questions I’d be glad to help

madcalfe

WKR
I’ve never used Kuiu but fwiw there was a review on this site some months ago that bought and tested a bunch of backpacks and Kuiu ranked either first or second I think - for him.
Which is why these threads are never be the useful. Fit is a personal thing. If you can swing it, try to buy more than one, and haul some weight around your house. Obviously that involves putting up a lot of cash so may not be practical. But the fact is no one here can tell you what backpack will fit you best.
yes there was a thread on backpack showdown and the guy favored the kuiu bag for his body type. he also had a short torso and used a kuiu regular frame sheet (22") where as stone glacier is 26" and kifaru is 24" or 26" he also liked the fact that looking uphill the kuiu was pretty much the only bag that didn't hit the back of his head. which might bother some people but personally your only going to be loaded with that much stuff going in and hopefully packing out, id rather have the bag higher on my back and better load lifter angles than it being lower (personal preference). My opinions on the bag after receiving the kuiu was that in the long run i honestly don't think it would hold up on heavy pack outs year after year. the little plastic tabs in the shoulder straps that attach to the frame are my main concern cause if one of those breaks when say your loaded with 100+lbs on the way out, then what? but I will say i do really like there bag layouts.
have you considered just buying a different pack to use on your kifru duplex frame?

hikenhunt

WKR
yes there was a thread on backpack showdown and the guy favored the kuiu bag for his body type. he also had a short torso and used a kuiu regular frame sheet (22") where as stone glacier is 26" and kifaru is 24" or 26" he also liked the fact that looking uphill the kuiu was pretty much the only bag that didn't hit the back of his head. which might bother some people but personally your only going to be loaded with that much stuff going in and hopefully packing out, id rather have the bag higher on my back and better load lifter angles than it being lower (personal preference). My opinions on the bag after receiving the kuiu was that in the long run i honestly don't think it would hold up on heavy pack outs year after year. the little plastic tabs in the shoulder straps that attach to the frame are my main concern cause if one of those breaks when say your loaded with 100+lbs on the way out, then what? but I will say i do really like there bag layouts.
have you considered just buying a different pack to use on your kifru duplex frame?
I think the plastic tab is more of a guide for positioning the adjustable shoulder straps. They limit the adjustments of the straps, but I don't think they carry any real load. I actually think it would work just as well without them.

As mentioned previously, fit is a personal thing. The kuiu fits me very well. I've had loads up to 97 lbs in my kuiu without issue.