Another CO guy looking for help/ hunting buddy

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
This is going to be my first season and a little overwhelmed with gathering all the information and making choices on what rifle season to choose, what unit, and whether or not to just start building points and get an OTC tag and cross my fingers.

I've had a very little mentoring from some of the guys at my work but it seems like i might find myself wondering the woods alone. It would be nice to find some people who would take me under their wing. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me their "spot" just pointed in the right direction would be cool.

-Mike

CoHiCntry

WKR
Your best bet would be to find someone in your local area. You might consider saying what part of the state you're in? Good luck finding someone, hope it works out for you.

MHB

FNG
Hey Mike,

Welcome to Colorado. Are you an archery, Muzzle loader, or rifle hunter. The best bet would be to fins a local club you can shoot at and meet others. This will help you and others figure out if you mesh well before heading into camp. There is nothing worse than getting into camp and finding out your partner has has some habits you cant stand.

I am north of Denver, if you are an archery guy I am happy to take you to our local club in Boulder.

Matt

OP
Quadzilla32

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Mike,

Welcome to Colorado. Are you an archery, Muzzle loader, or rifle hunter. The best bet would be to fins a local club you can shoot at and meet others. This will help you and others figure out if you mesh well before heading into camp. There is nothing worse than getting into camp and finding out your partner has has some habits you cant stand.

I am north of Denver, if you are an archery guy I am happy to take you to our local club in Boulder.

Matt
Matt,

Thanks for reaching out! right now I'm rifle hunting and appreciate the suggestion and offer. Ill see if I can find some local clubs/groups around my area. Just feel awkward trying to befriend other grown men to spend time with them in the woods.

MHB

FNG
Another thought would be attend one or more of the banquattes for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Mule deer federation, etc.. This is the time of the year these organizations are having a lot of their get togethers. You will most likely find like minded people at the banquettes.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I would start with getting the big game brochure and figure out what species you want to hunt. Look at what units are over the counter for rifle and find one you want to spend some weekends in during the summer just driving all the roads and hiking trails to get a good idea of what’s there and try to find sign or even animals. I usually hunt solo but that’s just because I don’t like to alter my style of hunting to incorporate someone else’s style or needs. You may have to do the same for a few years until you can find someone who is like minded and you get along with. Also a lot of people are secretive of their spots and info but don’t take it personal or take offense. These areas take a lot of years and work to figure out how to be successful. Get out at first light and last light and glass to try to find animals on public property. Some of the best people I’ve met have been in the field with a tag in my pocket. Good luck and don’t get discouraged. Time in the field is always valuable and never wasted. Get out there and put in the work, take notes, and try to put the pieces together. Good luck!

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Also put in for preference points for elk every year and hunt otc units until you figure out what you want to do. Put in for deer points and buy leftover tags in the leftover draw until you figure out how this state works. It will take some time and you will NEVER REGRET having some points in your pocket when you decide to burn them on a tag.

Vandy321

WKR
You'll find more superior all-around hunting partners (just ask them, they'll tell ya) if you decide archery hunt, it's warmer in Sept too.

/s