Another CO Muzzleloader thread

nrhardin

FNG
Hey All,

After thinking about it for 4 years or so finally took the plunge. Planning to hunt CO muzzleloader for elk at least the next two years. Purchased a CVA Optima v2 and the following:

- BH Breech Plug
- BH209 (ordered online from Johnstown Scheels)
- No Excuses sizing pack (thinking 420 gr)
- EABCO Peep Rib
- Lyman front globe
- Ox Yoke .54 cal wonder wads

Having extreme difficulty finding any 209 primers. Sounds like it may be a while before the big box stores get any in locally. Guess this is ok but would prefer to get some in hand in case I can get some range time this winter. If anyone around the front range has some to spare I can pay, barter, etc.

Any advice on a starting point for load development? Was thinking of starting at 70 grains by volume (then loading tubes by mass) and iterating every 5 grains with 3 shot groups until my shoulder falls off or the groups loosen up.

Any other gear I should pick up? Thanks for any help and excited to get into this.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a .50 cal and shoot 290 grain Barnes. I use BH209, 70 grains by weight and get a muzzle velocity of 1845. I think 70 grains by volume is not enough. 70 grains by weight is close to 100 grains by volume. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Overdrive

WKR
Enjoy the CVA, I sure like mine I can't believe the groups off the bench I get with it at 100 yards

My load I worked up for Deer
110 by volume of BH209
270 gr Powerbelt platinum

OP
N

nrhardin

FNG
Great to know, thank you!

Any advice on cleaning while shooting and afterwards?

cnelk

WKR
My CVA Accura shoots 420gr No Excuses at 1350fps pushed by 90gr volume of Pyrodex P

OP
N

nrhardin

FNG
Definitely considering an alternative to BH given the difficulty finding 209 primers. May have to explore that option, thanks!

Overdrive

WKR
Definitely considering an alternative to BH given the difficulty finding 209 primers. May have to explore that option, thanks!
Changing powders won't affect the 209 primer shortage, 209 primers are shotshell primers and can be found.
I found that BH 209 is much cleaner burning than pyrodex powders or triple 7.

Get yourself some BH 209 cleaning solvent made by Montana Extreme
My cleaning process might be over kill to some but I believe in a clean barrel for accuracy.

After 5 shots in the field/range this is my cleaning process
2-3 wet patches with BH 209 solvent
8-10 strokes with wet bore brush
2-3 wet patches with BH solvent
2-3 dry patches
I generally just make sure the breach plug is clear while shooting at the range at home is where I soak it in warm water and dawn soap.

OP
N

nrhardin

FNG
Thank you for the clarification and describing your process. This helps a lot. I realized my error on the primers last night. I was able to find some 209As on NatchezSS…price with shipping and hazmat was steep but I’d rather bite the bullet than drive all over the place trying to figure it out. Gives me some time to be on the lookout while hitting the range as well.

I do have a Thor sizing pack ordered. Plan to test out Thors, No Excuses, and Federal Bor Lokt if I can find them.

Thanks everyone for the tips and keep them coming!

Make sure you get the sizing test kit for those thor bullets......

.001" makes a hell of a difference on whether or not it goes down your barrel. Trust me. lol

OP
N

nrhardin

FNG
Good call on that. .5 went down super easy, .501 a bit hard to get started but still didn’t feel like 20 lbs of force. Couldn’t even get the other ones into the barrel.

On the other hand all of the No Excuses went down easy. Ordered the .504 and we’ll see what happens at the range.

cnelk

WKR
If you happen across some bullets that are a bit too 'easy' to load, you can always put a little parchment paper around them to make up the difference.
Its real thin and burns away

OP
N

nrhardin

FNG
Thank you for the tip. Saw you mention that in another thread and will keep it in mind.