Another DIY Stove

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the stainless burner covers. Thinking about making the stove using the larger covers instead of the small ones. Do you think the weight offset would be worth the longer burn time???

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I have stoves in both sizes. Photos are in this thread somewhere. The larger diameter is definitely nice and I don't think it's that much more weight. I still use the smaller stove as a UL option though

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of using rivots, think tack welding would work with similar longevity?

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
A tack weld could work, but the nice thing about rivetting is that you can do field repairs if needed. If you take a multitool or a bow Allen key set, just throw 2 bolts, nuts, and sets of washers in your bow/rifle/repair kit. Basically no weight or bulk added.

Work hard, play harder, and always remember "We can't get outa this thing alive"

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Progress so far. Used the bigger plates. Probably going to use the 15" piece of titanium from lite outdoors.
43bf2f22784a223a53a14aa85fe26244.jpg
4ddddbdba17c0d39619dd1374c4afddc.jpg

Beendare

WKR
I would agree with Brad, the extra volume of the bigger stove is just all around better at a minimun weight penalty. Key to these stoves is the interoir baffle

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Not to derail or sidetrack the thread but figured I would ask here as it’s diy stove stuff, but thinkin about using SS for stove pipe, first off any big negatives to it ? And second what gauge ? Thickness ? I don’t want to burn it out quick but also want to be able to roll it easy , both for packing and using as pipe , what have you used as far as stainless and would you change anything , thanks

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Not to derail or sidetrack the thread but figured I would ask here as it’s diy stove stuff, but thinkin about using SS for stove pipe, first off any big negatives to it ? And second what gauge ? Thickness ? I don’t want to burn it out quick but also want to be able to roll it easy , both for packing and using as pipe , what have you used as far as stainless and would you change anything , thanks

Many (myself included) use .004” SS. I bought mine from Titanium Goat. The main pro is price point and the main con is it’s heavier than titanium.

I used the same for the stove body. I wasn’t able to find it longer than 12”, so that is another con as I would’ve liked at least a 16” long stove. I might go with a titanium stove body in the future, but the 12” SS is working for my purposes so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Many (myself included) use .004” SS. I bought mine from Titanium Goat. The main pro is price point and the main con is it’s heavier than titanium.

I used the same for the stove body. I wasn’t able to find it longer than 12”, so that is another con as I would’ve liked at least a 16” long stove. I might go with a titanium stove body in the future, but the 12” SS is working for my purposes so far.

Thanks for the advice , thinkin of doing a wifi type
Would .002” thickness be tooo thin for stove pipe? Got some found for decent price and like the idea of being able to roll tighter , but concerned about being too thin , thanks

young7.3

WKR
I would say it's probably too thin. You'll want some rigidity and strength to it

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Working in IT has it's purks. Figured I would crack this in half and rivet it to the lid to hold it closed. Heard high heat weakens magnets though, not sure how high of heat it needs to be to lose magnetism
b773240cc28fdda0e8810a1cf46eb432.jpg

This is a hard drive magnet.

colonel00

WKR
Tried magnets, didn't work :D Granted, I wasn't trying any fancy magnets but what I did try failed very quickly

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Broke the magnet in half when I tried to remove it from the metal. Stays put on the door and keeps the door closed.
ecce5d4384dd629668f9e7877392dae0.jpg
89517019ddfe935fb156590afa1b4dd9.jpg

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Looks good man - curious to see if the magnet holds up to the heat. I ended up just using a bolt above the opening to hang the door off. Not perfect but works.

Mine is making its second trip to AK this September on a moose hunt. Just hoping there is enough dry wood to burn if the need arises.

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Magnet didn't hold...worked great until the baby got nice and hot. Figured I'll use the rivet type latch like alot of people.
1cf67d1af73665fdd64f454d525aee2e.jpg

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Magnet didn't hold...worked great until the baby got nice and hot. Figured I'll use the rivet type latch like alot of people.
1cf67d1af73665fdd64f454d525aee2e.jpg

What did you end up using for the legs? Do they seem like they’ll hold up nicely?