Another DIY Stove

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
What did you end up using for the legs? Do they seem like they’ll hold up nicely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colonel00 gave me some tips on how to make them. I used coat hangers for now. Similar to ti goats

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
His photo.
1a0fd462e717bf9bb5ac1791dd6d9b90.jpg

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Colonel00 gave me some tips on how to make them. I used coat hangers for now. Similar to ti goats

Great, thanks to both you and Colonel00. I’ve used mine without legs so far last fall. I was last minute building mine before late bow season and didn’t know which legs I wanted to use.

I bought bolts to build similar to Lite Outdoors, but they’re much heavier than the coat hanger option so I just decided to wait. I may try the coat hangers and call it air vents if I change my mind later.

colonel00

WKR
Hangers work pretty good depending on the size of your stove. I use legs made from the cheapo dry-cleaners white hangers for my small stove that made from the small burner covers and only 12" long. Mostly in the small stove I'm loading smaller sticks and twigs and maybe some branches that I cut down but nothing too huge. Not super sturdy but they do the job for minimal weight.

The legs pictured above are much thicker gauge and those are for my large stove from the 10" (?) burner covers and 18" long. Obviously, that sized stove could hold a bit of wood and be pretty heavy.

And yeah, if it doesn't work, a couple little holes shouldn't matter much as long as you have a good draft going. Worst case, you might be able to cover them with some aluminum tape or JB Weld but I wouldn't sweat it.

One thought might be to look for the sturdier brass hangers as a cheap in between solution to the two options I've used so far.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Mine look very similar to the one pictured above. I wanted something stainless so I found some rod at a local Tacoma Screw but all they had on the small end was 1/8”. I went with it and when I needed more, I remembered the welding supply place nearby. They had tons of stainless rod for Tig welding and carry it in several different diameters. And, it was nice and cheap. So if you want some stainless legs, maybe check out your welding supply store.

Jeremy

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Time to test it out. Supposed to be 25 tonight for the low. See how the boys do. I'm guessing we'll be in the house by midnight
7c90079e36e4768aeb91e0ff4f992f7b.jpg
d034bbe8d6767383e99347d06b805e9f.jpg

colonel00

WKR
Time to test it out. Supposed to be 25 tonight for the low. See how the boys do. I'm guessing we'll be in the house by midnight
7c90079e36e4768aeb91e0ff4f992f7b.jpg
d034bbe8d6767383e99347d06b805e9f.jpg

Yeah, stoves are nice as long as you are awake and tending them. However, since the tent doesn't really hold in heat and the stove can only run so long on its own, eventually it will get cold.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Weather turned on us so we put it through the paces.

It wasn't high enough off the ground I guess and some grass underneath caught fire. Took my pipe soldering cloth out there to put under the stove.
aba7b5a7ceef33c9dd063279ab1501aa.jpg
aa04217ff0428e20e868022c37398edd.jpg
8b35c29cd252a0fa840f58ed4b026f9a.jpg

duffnutz

FNG
This has been the best thread I’ve seen. I’ve been wanting to build me a stove for a while. I just ordered a tipi, so I guess that with this awesome info, I’ll make me a stove thanks to everyone’s input on this topic.

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Pulling up this thread from 2014 in hopes of getting a diy wood stove built. It looks like Ti-goat is no longer selling titanium or steel sheet goods, or anything at all. Maybe their website it just down. Does anyone know of another place to get steel and titanium sheet for stove pipe and stuff?

Pulling up this thread from 2014 in hopes of getting a diy wood stove built. It looks like Ti-goat is no longer selling titanium or steel sheet goods, or anything at all. Maybe their website it just down. Does anyone know of another place to get steel and titanium sheet for stove pipe and stuff?

Lite outdoors for your stovepipe. I got the .002” plate from TMS titanium (top and bottom). I made a more recent thread with similar design for more details if needed.

Do you have a link to the thread?

Thanks!

Next was cutting the stove pipe hole in the stove body - I centered it length of the stove body and about 2-1/2" to center from the back to clear the back plate. I drilled a few hole inside the 2-3/16" stove pipe outline that I traced with a sharpie and used the kitchen shears to cut the hole. Lastly I used the dremel with the sanding bit to smooth out any rough spots. *Again I should have taken a picture of this.

Oh ya do yourself a favor and mark center line of the end plates and stove body so its easy to line up the marks during assembly.

Next up is cutting the door and drilling the vent holes in the front plate. One thing did not like about either the Ti Goat or Ed T stoves was how small the opening was. I know the stove is not going to burn real big material but the bigger opening makes it easier to load and stoke.
I used thin cardboard to trace out templates and build a mock up. Once I got a couple bugs and alignment issues handled I transferred over the door shape and cut it out with the dremel. The actual door is just about 1/4" over sized of the opening and was cut out of the larger SS burner covers.

I also drilled out the vent holes at the same time - with the SS start with small drill bits and slowly work up to the desired size other wise the SS can actually tear if you start with the bigger bit.

Lastly I drilled out the holes for the hinges and riveted the door to the front plate. For a handle I decided on simple cable with a bolt to latch over. I am not 100% sold on this yet because it can be hard to latch but it works and the cable stays cool.
attachment.php

attachment.php
Nice work