Another Fkn Arrow Thread-Newb

JMalmy

FNG
Allllriiiiiiight.. I’ve been reading and reading and reading and now the words make a jumbled pile of ink soup on my phone.

Started shooting a bow again after 20yrs. Prime Inline 3. 28” draw. 60#. Elk, Muley, Turkey are my main targets. I want a “one stop shop” arrow. Victory TKO RIP is what my buddy shoots. 5mm axis has been recommended. BE Rampage. DaySix. I see a lot of those recommendations on here as well. I just don’t wanna go into my local shop and not have good info and be swayed I to buying the most expensive arrow in the place.

Well, thanks everyone. Lol

Any of the arrows you mentioned could work just fine. They're all in the middle to upper end on price, and they're all small or micro diameter, which adds some complexity to component choices.

If you're trying to be cost conscious, stick with a standard diameter (.244-.246"/6.5mm) arrow shaft. Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton Acu-Carbon 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, or Victory VForce built to around 450-500 gr total weight would be my recommendation for a reasonably priced all-purpose hunting arrow. Any of those shafts in 340-350 spine cut around 27-28" with 175-225 gr on the front (broadhead + insert combined) and 30-40 gr of vane + nock weight could get you in the 450-500 gr total weight range.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Gold Tip Hunter .340, 28" carbon to carbon, 50 grain insert, 125 grain head, 3 Blazer vanes, nock. Around 460 grain total weight. Should fly like a dart when you're tuned, relatively inexpensive, a very solid set up.

OP
JMalmy

JMalmy

FNG
Any of the arrows you mentioned could work just fine. They're all in the middle to upper end on price, and they're all small or micro diameter, which adds some complexity to component choices.

If you're trying to be cost conscious, stick with a standard diameter (.244-.246"/6.5mm) arrow shaft. Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton Acu-Carbon 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, or Victory VForce built to around 450-500 gr total weight would be my recommendation for a reasonably priced all-purpose hunting arrow. Any of those shafts in 340-350 spine cut around 27-28" with 175-225 gr on the front (broadhead + insert combined) and 30-40 gr of vane + nock weight could get you in the 450-500 gr total weight range.

I’ve got no issue spending money on good, quality arrows. I just want to be informed and educated on what’s what. I already had a small issue on my first visit so I want to avoid that on this visit

OP
JMalmy

JMalmy

FNG
Gold Tip Hunter .340, 28" carbon to carbon, 50 grain insert, 125 grain head, 3 Blazer vanes, nock. Around 460 grain total weight. Should fly like a dart when you're tuned, relatively inexpensive, a very solid set up.

Awesome. Thank you. By buddy is running about 480ish grains and shoots 70#. These numbers feel good. Thank you

NYSKIER

WKR
All those are good arrows as Mighty Mouse said. You are going to get a lot of different replies as far as full arrow weight goes. Weight depends on a lot of factors, distance. bow speed, draw weight, what you want your pin gap to look like, what FOC you are aiming for etc. I will say that if you go with Victory TKO which is what I shoot you can only get them from an authorized dealer although I have gotten lucky on ebay. I hear great things about Easton Axis and may switch over in the future because I don't like where Victory's tend break.

OP
JMalmy

JMalmy

FNG
All those are good arrows as Mighty Mouse said. You are going to get a lot of different replies as far as full arrow weight goes. Weight depends on a lot of factors, distance. bow speed, draw weight, what you want your pin gap to look like, what FOC you are aiming for etc. I will say that if you go with Victory TKO which is what I shoot you can only get them from an authorized dealer although I have gotten lucky on ebay. I hear great things about Easton Axis and may switch over in the future because I don't like where Victory's tend break.

I appreciate the insight. I’ve just gotten so deep so quick my head started to spin and I couldn’t make sense of left or right lol plus, I’m still learning everything about weights and foc and this and that. It’s wild

NYSKIER

WKR
I appreciate the insight. I’ve just gotten so deep so quick my head started to spin and I couldn’t make sense of left or right lol plus, I’m still learning everything about weights and foc and this and that. It’s wild
Just research as much as you can on here, there are some great threads and then go out and see what arrows are readily available and match the specs you are looking for. I do think you should go budget conscious to start and then move on as you get back into the swing of things. May just six of a budget conscious arrow and then move up?

JStol5

WKR
There's too much dang variety out there. I went through the same thing when looking to move away from axis this summer. I ended up just getting more axis. I say K.I.S.S.

I might switch in the future but Easton has been rock solid for me. Might look at 4mm axis next for a lighter arrow, but they're expensive.

I'm getting a bit tired of dropping a lot of money on arrows and losing them in 3D, practicing in the field, etc. I might switch to a cheaper arrow like a Gold Tip Hunter or a Sonic.

OP
JMalmy

JMalmy

FNG
Just research as much as you can on here, there are some great threads and then go out and see what arrows are readily available and match the specs you are looking for. I do think you should go budget conscious to start and then move on as you get back into the swing of things. May just six of a budget conscious arrow and then move up?

I like the idea of budget conscious, but I also am partial to practicing with what I’m going to use. I’ll have the rest of fall, winter, heading into spring before turkey. Don’t wanna get used to one arrow only to get another before spring turkey. If that makes any sense

OP
JMalmy

JMalmy

FNG
There's too much dang variety out there. I went through the same thing when looking to move away from axis this summer. I ended up just getting more axis. I say K.I.S.S.

I might switch in the future but Easton has been rock solid for me. Might look at 4mm axis next for a lighter arrow, but they're expensive.

I'm getting a bit tired of dropping a lot of money on arrows and losing them in 3D, practicing in the field, etc. I might switch to a cheaper arrow like a Gold Tip Hunter or a Sonic.

Well, seeing as how expensive it was just to get the damn bow,sight,rest I can only imagine what arrows are going to be like. Me and a buddy went back to where he thought one of his arrows landed to retrieve it. After looking up how expensive they are, I’m glad we did 🤣

JStol5

WKR
I like the idea of budget conscious, but I also am partial to practicing with what I’m going to use. I’ll have the rest of fall, winter, heading into spring before turkey. Don’t wanna get used to one arrow only to get another before spring turkey. If that makes any sense
You could buy two different straightnesses for hunting/practice in the same arrow and save some money. Ex get sport/regular Easton axis (.006 and .003 straightness) for practice and Match Grades (.001 straightness) for hunting. I don’t think most people can outshoot an arrow, I think .003 straightness is sufficient (especially if you’re cutting the ends for length).

Don’t waste your money on .001… Easton axis, gold tip xp hunter, pierce, black eagle rampage or deep impacts. Cut off both ends, run a helical on fletchings, preferable for 2.8-3.5” vanes, tune your bow. Start shooting.

NYSKIER

WKR
Don’t waste your money on .001… Easton axis, gold tip xp hunter, pierce, black eagle rampage or deep impacts. Cut off both ends, run a helical on fletchings, preferable for 2.8-3.5” vanes, tune your bow. Start shooting.
I second that I don't think .001's are worth it unless you're a pro

OP
JMalmy

JMalmy

FNG
I second that I don't think .001's are worth it unless you're a pro

Did a few hours of reading on straightness and unless I am a pro as you state, .001 is far beyond my capabilities and a waste of my money. .003 should be extremely suitable for my lack of skill 🤣🤣🤣

morphetm

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Deer Crossing Arrows. They can custom build what you want, they shoot great, very durable and you can get a dozen of their Hunter arrows for around $100 cut, spine aligned, fletched with inserts. You can order them in .001 and .006 straightness.
I have shot Victory Rip TK and Xv, CE Maxima Hunters and Easton FMJ and these are my go to arrows for this season.

I am on the high end pricewise, but I've been able to get arrows to last a long time. 5mm fmj's 340 spine cut to 27", about 450 grains total weight. I finally had to break down and pick up another half dozen this year after many years, and mine are all still straight, unless I make a stupid mistake. Initially just wanted them because they are heavy (like 11.3 gpi) and I didn't want to have to add a bunch of extra weight. That said, I have shot a lot of lighter cheaper arrows over the years and they shot fine. Don't overthink it. Lots of quality arrows out there. Just find something that will get you to the weight you want and go for it. If nothing else just pick up half a dozen (or less if the shop will sell them that way) and try a bunch out.

CB4

WKR
I am running x-impact however have shot a couple arrows from vector. If you want someone to completely build out an arrow for you I do think Vector is the way to go.

Building your own from bare shafts can be fun, frustrating, rewarding, degrading, time consuming, but worth it. If you keep an eye out you can get the high end shafts on sale. I got a dozen x-impacts for $100 last year.